Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #1  

Default LC /OMAD and liver issues

Hello all. I just came back to 3FC today, posted a new introduction if you want my background.

I have recently found out I have liver issues. (Non-alcoholic fatty liver) My doctor did not seem worried at all Honestly, I'm putting that on the back burner as I start a mixture of Atkins and OMAD (eating one meal a day).

I'd love to hear from others in a similar situation. Of course, having non-alcoholic fatty liver seems to scream DONT EAT MEAT....

Last edited by 40stillfat; 05-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
40stillfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #2  

I'd be wary of high saturated fat intake -especially if you have NAFLD .

PMC3732059

Recent findings suggest that short term hypercaloric feeding leads to increased intrahepatic triglyceride (IHTG), while short term hypocaloric feeding leads to decreased IHTG despite little change in total body weight, suggesting that ongoing excess caloric delivery directly contributes to the development of NAFLD. Weight loss with either low fat or low carbohydrate diets can improve IHTG, however specific macronutrients: fructose, trans-fatty acids, and saturated fat may contribute to increased IHTG independent of total calorie intake. N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and mono-unsaturated fatty acids may play a protective role in NAFLD. The mechanisms behind these effects are not fully understood.

Summary

Diet plays a role in the pathophysiology of NAFLD. It is reasonable to advise patients with NAFLD to reduce calorie intake with either low fat or low carbohydrate diets as well as limit intakes of fructose, trans-fatty acids, and saturated fat.

PMC2949959

Therefore, it is a real challenge for physicians to advise patients with different metabolic diseases about the best diet composition to use. If a KD has to be prescribed, maybe it could be better to favor a vegetable-based KD, as vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diets have been correlated with a decrease in all-cause and cardiovascular-related mortality. In the latter study, two US cohorts (121,700 females, 51,529 males) were followed during 26 and 20 years, respectively. Both in men and women, animal-based low-carbohydrate diets were found to be associated with higher all-cause (especially cardiovascular mortality) and cancer mortality, compared to vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diets. Nevertheless, similar studies with “real” KD need to be performed to confirm this assumption, as a low-carbohdyrate diet is not necessarily inducing ketosis and is therefore not a ketogenic diet per se. Another problem when using a KD is the long-term effect and sustainability of effects, notably due to a lack of long-term studies in metabolic diseases such as type 2 diabetes. Restrictive diets are often associated with poor long-term adherence. Nevertheless, some evidence suggests that adherence to low-carbohydrate diets is better than to low-fat diets, because of the allowance to unlimited access to food as long as carbohydrates are reduced, given that proteins and fats are known to induce satiety
tara1245 is offline   Reply With Quote