Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default How to INCREASE calories on low carb?

So I've been lower carb for about 18 months now. It started because I developed very severe food sensitivities/allergies that made me first have to quit all processed food and alcohol and go to a whole foods diet. To start with, it wasn't low carb but it was definitely a lot lower than the standard American diet, but I ate a lot of rice and potatoes. Later I cut the rice, and limited potatoes, switching to more sweet potatoes instead. But I'm not VLC, just lower carb- my carbs per day often add up to 100g.

My weight loss has been great and I've lost 70 lbs in 18 months. I'm basically at goal weight. I had been experimenting for the last 6 weeks or so with a ketogenic diet. I had read that when my body fat percentage approached the right number, that my body would stop preferentially burning body fat and would demand more calories in my diet, and that has now happened. I had been doing 18/6 intermittent fasting and low carb and it was working great and then last week all of a sudden I am STARVING. But I find myself struggling to find ways to boost my calories. I already put butter on everything. I use heavy cream in my coffee. I can't eat cheese or sausage or other processed foods due to have a severe histamine sensitivity, so those are out. I eat until I'm quite full, but it's not sticking with me the way it was. I had a severe hypoglycemic episode on Sunday when I went too long without eating, and I hadn't had anything like that happen in years. I also felt shaky and hypoglycemic yesterday. I think it was triggered by going off-plan during Thanksgiving (I had both bread and pie for the first time in over a year) but the insatiable hunger had kicked in before Thanksgiving and I know I'm at or very close to ideal weight and so it's unsurprising that my appetite is increasing now that I don't have a lot of body fat left to burn.

I need some advice for ways to increase my caloric intake without adding too many carbs back in, that will work in a diet that doesn't allow for processed foods, cheese, aged meats like sausages, hams, etc. Help?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

nuts?
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
nuts?
I've tried them- I can handle them in limited amounts. Yesterday I went a little crazy with macadamia nuts and ended up with one heck of a case of heartburn, though.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/185/142

Height: 5'2

How many calories are you eating daily now? If you are eating until you are full now but still getting hungry, the only thing I can suggest is eating more often, and more meat. That would add more protein and fat without carbs. Many people would love to have your problem, namely me! If this continues, though, I would suggest seeing your doctor to rule out a medical cause.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Avocado?
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:49 AM   #6  

No sugar, No Flour, 3 planned meals a day, Measured Quantities of protein, veggies, fruit and grains - This tips is the key. Thank you for suggesting.
samanthasteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #7  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Fat bombs. Look for Keto fat bomb recipies. They use coconut oil, butter and then some flavoring like coco powder and peanut butter. Or lemon. there are countless recipies out there. Depending on the size you make them each one can give you 100 calories from fat. They are my go to.
Way to go reaching you goal and trying to maintain. I've been on Keto since March and it's been almost smooth sailing. almost 60 pounds gone with only one hickup along the way.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote