3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Started a LCHF program on August 1st (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/305550-started-lchf-program-august-1st.html)

JerseyPAGirl 08-07-2015 08:23 AM

Started a LCHF program on August 1st

Hi Everyone :)

I started a low carb, high fat program last Saturday. And I got on the scale this morning and lost a total of 11 pounds! :carrot:

I realize it's only water weight, but wow.....what an incentive!

The last time I went on this program - by the 4th day my blood sugar dropped and scared the life out of me. I quickly ate carbs because I had no idea what to do. Looking back, it most likely was lack of electrolytes (I don't think I was eating enough salt). So this time, I asked a LCHF dietician what I should do so I don't ever get that way. She told me to carry glucose tablets with me - and to get enough salt, potassium and magnesium.

Because of such great advice, I only had a slight headache the very first day. Was a bit tired the second day. Other than that, I had a really good week!

This program will definitely be my new WOE, for sure :)

And no, I don't miss carbs one bit. That's because they would bloat the heck out of me. And who wants to feel like the Michelin Tire Man after a 'innocent' bowl of Cheerios?? Not me!

FickleHearts 08-07-2015 03:47 PM

Grats on the 11 lbs!

It took me one week to get over the initial cravings and "keto flu," but once I did, man I feel loads better. Good luck!

JerseyPAGirl 08-10-2015 10:33 AM

Hi Fickleheart :)

Thanks!! :D

Wow....an entire week of not feeling good? What ashame :( But that's the silver lining I guess....how good you are feeling :)

I worked out for the first time yesterday. I did really well....I'm sore as heck today! Did weight training for my legs only. Then I cleaned the entire condo, so that was a cardio workout in itself! I figured that was enough physical stuff for the day.

Today I do weight training for my triceps. My cardio will be running up and down my steps for 5 sets. Will work my way higher each week. Then I'll do some ab work. Trying to build endurance.

cherrygarcia80 08-10-2015 07:31 PM

Wishing you all the best :) Keto saved my life...it's the first "diet" i've been able to stick to for more than 3 months straight.

I can identify with your first post...on day 5 i freakin fainted for the first time in my life ever! was so scared i almost quit! Started googling like crazy and discovered the importance of electrolytes on keto, and ever since i kept those in balance and have felt great ever since.

Luvmymonkeys 08-10-2015 10:52 PM

Same here... Was day 2 for me and I felt like I was having a heart attack. Was dizzy and my heart started pounding and felt like I was going to pass out. I asked dr google and found its common. Just that one day and by day three I was no longer craving carbs every second. So much easier to stay in control when your not craving carbs all day long.

JerseyPAGirl 08-11-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrygarcia80 (Post 5192603)
Wishing you all the best :) Keto saved my life...it's the first "diet" i've been able to stick to for more than 3 months straight.

I can identify with your first post...on day 5 i freakin fainted for the first time in my life ever! was so scared i almost quit! Started googling like crazy and discovered the importance of electrolytes on keto, and ever since i kept those in balance and have felt great ever since.

Thanks, Cherry :) Wow, you fainted?? OMG, my blood sugar dropped the last time I was on this program....and that was enough for me to stop. Once I read up on more truthful stuff about the diet, that's when I realized that my electrolytes were probably off (I'm not good at salting my food....NOW I am!). So far, so good. I'm in my second week now. Last nights workout was a bit strange. I did weight training for my biceps. And the moment I was finished I was so exhausted. I felt like I needed to sleep right then and there! I was so weak that I kept thinking to myself "how the heck am I going to heat up my food?!" Thank goodness the feeling passed within 15 minutes. Weird, for sure.

I did experience a pretty bad headache yesterday. Thankfully it went away by taking 3 Motrin. I was told that my body is still trying to get accustomed to the diet. Hard to believe that a diet takes this long for the body to acclimate to!

JerseyPAGirl 08-11-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvmymonkeys (Post 5192637)
Same here... Was day 2 for me and I felt like I was having a heart attack. Was dizzy and my heart started pounding and felt like I was going to pass out. I asked dr google and found its common. Just that one day and by day three I was no longer craving carbs every second. So much easier to stay in control when your not craving carbs all day long.

I can relate with the heart pounding. That's what I had also the first time I went on the program. It was scary :(

Same for me. I don't crave carbs one bit, which I'm very happy about. Probably because I'm always full, which is so nice! I used to eat a bowl of Cheerios and fat free milk for breakfast and be starving hungry within an hour or two. It used to drive me nuts. Now....I eat breakfast at 7 AM and I'm not hungry until at least 12 or 12:30. Love it! :cheer2:

Luvmymonkeys 08-11-2015 12:07 PM

yes most diets I would start out great staying low calorie most of the day then be so hungry I would mess up the entire day just with dinner.

Funny now Im finding I go to LOOK for food out of habit. I will go to kitchen look for something to eat. I now have the control to say what am I doing Im not even hungry. Also I no longer eat until im stuffed. I got stomach aches on this diet at first trying to get full (stuffed is more like it) now my body tells me Im full before the overfull feeling.

JerseyPAGirl 08-11-2015 12:15 PM

Luv, yes, that's no fun, either. Glad you have a better sense of control now :carrot: That's always a very good thing :)

It's funny....TV food commercials would do me in every single time....like Pizza Hut, Wendy's, any candy/cake/cookie commercial. I was quite pathetic. Now, I can actually sit and watch TV...including the evil food commercials....and be totally fine with it! That's because my tummy is satiated and very happy :D

And, probably has to do with that I can actually eat a cheeseburger - without the bread, of course! (Except mine are WAY better cause I made them) :D Although I do put them on my low carb sour dough biscuits that I make. I just pop one in the toaster and put my burger on top. Then I top it with sautéed mushrooms, a little bit of onion, mayo, lettuce and tomato. Mmmmm.....I'm in heaven! :cloud9:

synger 09-28-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyPAGirl (Post 5192752)
It's funny....TV food commercials would do me in every single time....like Pizza Hut, Wendy's, any candy/cake/cookie commercial. I was quite pathetic. Now, I can actually sit and watch TV...including the evil food commercials....and be totally fine with it! That's because my tummy is satiated and very happy :D

That's what I call the "sweet spot" of low-carb. The first few weeks can be a little tough, but then I lose the ravenous hunger and I was always susceptible to food commercials and food shows. I can walk down the bread aisle and not blink. My daughter made chocolate chip cookies the other day and they didn't even smell good to me.

My goal ultimately is to stay in that sweet spot of low carb long-term.