Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Asian turkey tail skewers

We have a small Southeast Asian grocery and deli a few blocks from our home. The weekday deli is amazing, and many of the items are quite low-carb.

Today we tried something new and king of strange. Turkey-butt (or tail) on skewers. The tails were big - each about 3 ounces of meat, fat, and skin. Each skewer held two tails and was only $1.98.

About 200 calories each (400 per skewer).

The tails are marinated or rubbed with spicy asian seasonings and grilled until the skin is crisp and golden.

It tastes more like pork chop or country cut pork ribs, because of the fat ratio.

They were surprisingly filling, and just really tasty. In our area, you don't find turkey tails or necks very often in the grocery stores, except in the winter (for making soup), but these were so good, I'd consider trying to make them at home.

But for $2, I'll buy them from the deli when they're available.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

At first I thought Turkey-butt, "yuck!" but then I realized that I have eaten "Boston butt" a great deal!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
At first I thought Turkey-butt, "yuck!" but then I realized that I have eaten "Boston butt" a great deal!
Actually Boston butt comes from the upper shoulder, not the backside at all whereas these literally were tails (the fatty piece where the tail feathers are attached). However, oxtails aren't considered all that strange.

The fat and skin content is pretty high, so I wouldn't eat these every day, but cooked until the skin was crispy, very yummy.

Some people call this poultry part "the popes nose." Having been raised Catholic, I find the term incredibly offensive (my first argument with hubby as a newly married person was over his using the term. In front of my Catholic family, no less).

Overall, I have a "parts is parts" philosophy when it comes to meat. I really believe that if people are going to eat meat, we should be eating every edible part.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote