Adding in carbs, and binging

• So my doctor put me on a ketogenic diet for a medical disorder outside of weight management.

Recently he has adjusted my medication and told me that instead of doing ketogenic, he wants me to just do a low carb diet.

This means I am going from high fat, and somewhat high protein, with only 30 grams of carbs - to high fat, high protein with up to 100 grams of carbs.

While I love being able to eat fruit, I am having a hard time not over doing it. I keep ending up binging over my normal caloric amount and my 100 grams of carbs... Has anyone else had this issue?

Any tips on adding in carbs without going carb-crazy and gaining a bunch of weight?

Also, in the week since I added in the extra carbs, I have gained a few lbs. I am worried that this gaining may continue with the added carbs...

Is there anyway to add carbs on not gain a bunch of weight back?
  • Fruit really triggers something in me too. I think what has helped me is having "countable" pit fruits that I like, but not too much. So I have plums/nectarines/peaches at home rather than strawberries/cherries/grapes at home because I tend to overindulge. Also, at lunch I used to go to a supermarket that had an amazing salad-station. I would get a great salad, and then for dessert I would buy only 10 cherries and that's it. I have to control what I have around, even with fruit. HTH
  • I'd not got from 30 carbs to 100 in one step. I'd add 5- 10 carbs every 4 days and see how I react. I do medically supervised low carb and my goal is 1000 calories, a mimimum of 100 grams of protein, no more than 50 net carbs and the rest in healthy fats - avocado, olive oil, nuts. I will probably never be able to eat 100 grams of carbs because I am very sensitive to them and cravings take over when I eat many. I'm perfectly happy with what I am on now, but the calories will increase, the protein will decrease and the carbs will increase until I find the point where I can maintain with ease. The best fruits with the fewest carbs and plenty of fiber are berries of all kinds.
  • Quote: Fruit really triggers something in me too. I think what has helped me is having "countable" pit fruits that I like, but not too much. So I have plums/nectarines/peaches at home rather than strawberries/cherries/grapes at home because I tend to overindulge. Also, at lunch I used to go to a supermarket that had an amazing salad-station. I would get a great salad, and then for dessert I would buy only 10 cherries and that's it. I have to control what I have around, even with fruit. HTH
    Countable fruit is a good idea. I bought some nectarines and I am going to try and eat 1/2 at a time to try and ease myself in.

Quote: I'd not got from 30 carbs to 100 in one step. I'd add 5- 10 carbs every 4 days and see how I react. I do medically supervised low carb and my goal is 1000 calories, a mimimum of 100 grams of protein, no more than 50 net carbs and the rest in healthy fats - avocado, olive oil, nuts. I will probably never be able to eat 100 grams of carbs because I am very sensitive to them and cravings take over when I eat many. I'm perfectly happy with what I am on now, but the calories will increase, the protein will decrease and the carbs will increase until I find the point where I can maintain with ease. The best fruits with the fewest carbs and plenty of fiber are berries of all kinds.
    I agree, doubling my carbs (I was at 50 - now at 100) is a terrible idea, haha. No wonder I was going carb-crazy. I am going to try and do 60 grams for 3-4 days, and then up it slowly by ten 5-10 grams each time, as you suggest.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, it makes a lot of sense and I think it will help a lot!
  • I am a food addict and just as the original post states, one taste or just a little, can cascade into an all-out binge. I am especially fond of fruit of all kinds. It's the sweet taste, to which I am addicted. I don't buy fresh fruit very often, for that reason. But, when I do, I do my best to limit myself to one (not a half, because I know that I will crave that other half and wind up eating it). I have also discovered a new flavored water called "Ice", that comes in different flavors and has a sweet taste. Drinking it "straight" tastes too sweet, so I drink 1/2 and 1/2 flavored water to plain water. It provides just enough of a sweet taste (0 cal, 0 carbs) for my body to feel as though I've had a sweet treat filled with carbs.