beginning lowcarb and extreme sensitivity?

• I am not, in general, a very sensitive person emotionally. I write for a living, and a thick skin is pretty much a requirement for that job. People are constantly editing my work and telling me what I need to change, and it has NEVER bothered me because that is just how the industry runs.

About 5 days ago, I started eating low carb. My mother lost a lot of weight doing Atkins, and she finally convinced me to try it with her. I've stuck to the plan religiously so far, but today something odd happened.

I checked my email and noticed I had feedback on one of the stories I had submitted. It contained the usual level of constructive feedback and suggested possible ways to fix the issues. However, instead of opening up the document and getting to work, I proceeded to spend the next thirty minutes crying at my computer desk.

I have NEVER had this happen before, and I am wondering if it might be the diet? I'm not sure how or why, but I just seem to be way more emotional about things ever since I started. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Am I correct in understanding you are doing Atkins?
    Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?
  • Thank you for the response!

Yes I'm doing Atkins. I am still on induction and am trying to stay between 15-20 carbs a day. Yesterday I had:

Breakfast:
    2 eggs, scrambled
    1 strip bacon
    1/2 cup cauliflower

Lunch:
    6 oz Tuna with 2 TBS no sugar added mayo
    1 cup spinach

Snack:
    4 oz Chicken breast with lemon pepper seasoning

Dinner:
    homemade Cobb salad:
    -1 slice of bacon, crumbled
    -1 hardboiled egg
    -4 oz grilled chicken thigh
    -1 cup iceberg lettuce
    -1/2 avocado
    -Bleu Cheese dressing
    (Yes it was a very big salad XD But I made sure to track all of the carbs and it was well within my limit.)
  • Your menu looks great As for the sensitivity & being emotional, I'm not really sure what to say. I've been on Atkins for 9+ years now and have never had that issue ( Menopause however, is a different story entirely! ). Are you experiencing "Atkins Flu" ? Fatigue, weakness, dizziness etc. ? Are you drinking plenty of water?
  • Thank you again for the response! Sorry I was not able to answer earlier, I got caught up in work and forgot to check the forum.

I have most definitely been experiencing other symptoms of the "Atkins Flu". I have had the occasional mild headache, as well as a bit more fatigue than normal. I don't necessarily feel weak, but I spend all day typing at a computer so I guess I wouldn't really know.

The one thing I am slightly concerned about is my water intake. I have always had an issue with drinking enough water, and I think I need to drink more because the last few days I have had an almost constant dry/cottony feel in my mouth and throat. I'm drinking about 4 32oz waterbottles a day.
  • Drinking some chicken broth helps Atkins Flu symptoms.
    If you're drinking (4) 32 oz bottles of water a day, you're doing great with your water intake!
  • I was really sensitive when I went low carb (I continue to eat at an induction level). It was just part of the flu. Your body is under a lot of stress in the beginning, that's all.
  • Quote: I am not, in general, a very sensitive person emotionally. I write for a living, and a thick skin is pretty much a requirement for that job. People are constantly editing my work and telling me what I need to change, and it has NEVER bothered me because that is just how the industry runs.
    I just had to comment on this. I've been a successful freelance writer for close to 20 years (making a six-figure income for the past 10 or so), but I'm still very thin-skinned. Just as you say, "people are constantly editing my work and telling me what I need to change," and it always bothers me, especially if the feedback is delivered in a brusque way. Of course I suck it up and make the changes, but I do bleed.

It must be nice to have a thick skin. I don't think it's in the cards for me in this lifetime, unfortunately.

F.