I am a calorie counter but this totally blows my mind.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Have any of you seen this video?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • Great post! Very educational! I'm also a calorie counting
  • Oh yes. "Sugar, the bitter truth" was a game changer for me. I've built on that this year by changing my diet to a Paleo style which limits grains, processed foods, and sugars. But watching that video started it off for me.
  • OMG - that was interesting!!!! It would be interesting to hear the differences in metabolism of fructose and sucralose.
  • Just watched the video - very interesting and scarey.
    So now, what are we suppose to do/eat/omit?
  • The obese 6 month old baby stats were sickening to me.
  • Very interesting. I'm looking forward to watching more of the UCSF Medical Mini School.

The more I education myself, the more I realize that I can NEVER go back. I was killing myself...
  • I'm really thinking of changing my dieting strategy...
  • The bit at the very beginning about the Japanese diet and the Atkins diet comparrison was interesting to me... I always wondered why my Japanese students managed to stay so slim when they were eating large quantities of rice for most of their meals!
  • Yeah he seems to believe rice and pasta are ok. I don't know about that because if it is just about fructose then I already rarely consume it (except in fruit). It has been a long time since biochem so I will have to watch the video again sometime to check the logic. I mean, any form of sugar can get converted to glucose and then be metabolized by the body... Anyways, I don't really eat much fructose but I get PlENTY of glucose and I might try whole 30 just to see how my body responds
  • So, the video is basically saying that the whole weight gain is fructose, not carbs or fat?

?
  • For me- the video is basically telling me to stop eating "foodstuff" (or food like substances)/processed/packaged foods and start eating food provided from the earth. Cooking is a lost art- I was never taught how to do it, really. So it's been quite a lot of work, but I'm glad I'm making these habits now before I have children.

Stars, He is saying that about 30% of fructose is metabolized into fat. No other part of the body can use fructose, unlike glucose. It has to processed in the liver, therefore he hypothesizes that fructose really is a poison of sorts.
  • Quote: For me- the video is basically telling me to stop eating "foodstuff" (or food like substances)/processed/packaged foods and start eating food provided from the earth.
    I agree... and interestingly, I have been saying that for years and now they are proving it! (Unfortunately, I have not been doing it for years, which is why I look like I do!! But I've been eating almost all organic, non-processed foods for about six months now and the change in me is incredible! I don't want to go back to my old ways and pray I always remember this and never fall back into my old habits!

Michael Pollan's videos and books have been very helpful to me as well.
  • thanks for this link, loved it. Am interested in metabolism of sucralose after this.
  • Quote: The obese 6 month old baby stats were sickening to me.
    Hey -- some of us were BORN fat! I was over ten pounds at birth, and both my parents were of average size.

On a serious note, though, it was a good video and I plan to watch it a second time. It's amazing how invasive sugar -- in all its forms -- is in our diets. I know I'm going to be more aware of it when preparing my own meals.