Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #46  

Hi guys, I'd like to join in!

I have the Wheat Belly book and have finished it. Now I need to get serious about losing the grain.
tapper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post

I have the Wheat Belly book and have finished it. Now I need to get serious about losing the grain.
Welcome! The more of us the better support we can give each other!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 235/205/165

Height: 5'4"

Welcome ! You will just love this Way of Eating !

Reread the book. It has a lot of info that only clicks on the second read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post

Nora52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #49  

Have lost my stubborn 2 pounds !! Wish me luck for the weekend though as I am cooking for my elderly Mum... so have to stay on track. Think I will though I had a bit of a craving last night so had strawberries and cream for dessert. Yum!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #50  

And I think I am about to go a size smaller. My jeans looks silly/ too loose today !!! I do not think the scales are telling the whole story. I am literally shrinking in size all over !
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #51  

Nora52- way to go! That's awesome! Never go by the scale (I know I'm bad for over thinking the number it says!) I took my body measurements in Nov when I restarted IP and again when I took the wheat belly lifestyle on. So Monday I'll take them again as my 'official' weight in date. Does it not feel amazing when things start to look silly on you!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #52  

Hi,

I'm new to this thread but have been relatively wheat free for 17 years, after discovering I had a wheat intolerance. (And in the last couple of years I've been wheat free.) Having stalled weight-wise I'm looking to tweak my diet. I've been doing a relatively low carb gluten free no plan.

I've read about WB here, as well as on Dr D's blog.

At this point, I still have a few questions. Is there a carb limit for the day? Nora52 mentioned that we should try to have less than 15 carbs per meal.
Are sweet potatoes a no-no? (I presume they are, but wanted to check.) What about fruits? I notice people are eating some of the lower carb ones.

On the blog, Dr D said that wine was okay and that he was going to list other acceptable alcohols at a future date. Did he and are there any?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dee
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #53  

Thanks ! The weird thing is that I am losing weight all over ( not just the belly ) and the belly is last to shrink!!

I REALLY want my waist to shrink cos clothes just don't fit.... Hoping my skin shrinks... does the skin always shrink ?

I tried a MIM yesterday and it was awful!! Then I found I had tummy pain and THEN I discovered the label of the cocoa said "may contain Gluten" ... sigh..

Hope everyone had a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
Nora52- way to go! That's awesome! Never go by the scale (I know I'm bad for over thinking the number it says!) I took my body measurements in Nov when I restarted IP and again when I took the wheat belly lifestyle on. So Monday I'll take them again as my 'official' weight in date. Does it not feel amazing when things start to look silly on you!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #54  

Hi Dee, Welcome ! That is awesome that you have been wheat free all those years... You will be able to jump into WB easily as you do not have the opiate like addiction to wheat that others have had to start with.

Do you eat other grains ? They can be nearly as bad as wheat. Corn, barley, rice.. Sweet potatoes would stall weight loss as would too many fruits. Dr D recommends minimal fruit if you want to lose weight. The 'berry' fruits occasionally... but be careful of fruit. Before I did WB - I was doing IR and the fruit had to be very carefully measured and eaten with protein... so I have not eaten much fruit for a long time.

Dr D talks about wine in his new book.. WB CookBook. Red wine , white wine are OK - in moderation of course. Beer is off limits although there are GF beers... Is there one in particular you were thinking of ? I could look it up.

Hope you enjoy this WOE ! I am off to try and bake a decent MIM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this thread but have been relatively wheat free for 17 years, after discovering I had a wheat intolerance. (And in the last couple of years I've been wheat free.) Having stalled weight-wise I'm looking to tweak my diet. I've been doing a relatively low carb gluten free no plan.

At this point, I still have a few questions. Is there a carb limit for the day? Nora52 mentioned that we should try to have less than 15 carbs per meal.
Are sweet potatoes a no-no? (I presume they are, but wanted to check.) What about fruits? I notice people are eating some of the lower carb ones.

On the blog, Dr D said that wine was okay and that he was going to list other acceptable alcohols at a future date. Did he and are there any?

Thanks,
Dee

Last edited by Nora52; 01-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora52 View Post
Thanks ! The weird thing is that I am losing weight all over ( not just the belly ) and the belly is last to shrink!!

I REALLY want my waist to shrink cos clothes just don't fit.... Hoping my skin shrinks... does the skin always shrink ?

I tried a MIM yesterday and it was awful!! Then I found I had tummy pain and THEN I discovered the label of the cocoa said "may contain Gluten" ... sigh..

Hope everyone had a good day!
Alright I'm sure confused! lol what is MIM?

I'm a bit down this morning- yesterday AM I was down to 229.5, today up to 232! Ugh! I gained a few pounds over x-mas ok well 7.5! And managed to get most of that off this week by starting WB. I'm not sure if I mess up yesterday or not- had left over stir-fry with maybe 1/2 c of rice (we ate out the night before at a stir-fry place and with my left over’s they decided to pack up with some rice with it) so had that for lunch and I had made chilli for dinner- used ground turkey, lots of veggies and one can of kidney beans for 6 servings. So I'm not sure if it was just too much limited things as I had rice and beans. Whatever at the end of the day its just that- rice and beans not bread bagels takeout foods.

Just a question do any of you take vitamins or supplements?
I have been taking- vit D, Folic Acid (as we have been trying to have a baby), probiotics, vit B complex, Omega 3 complex and digestive enzymes.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #56  

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Dee
Welcome Dee!
As far as I know there is not a carb limit- however I’m pretty new to WB. I try to always choose my veggies with lower carb/ lower sugars then others. As for fruit I eat 1-2 servings a day- normally berries in the AM and sometimes 3-4 times a week another in the evening. The evening one is normally a grapefruit sometimes a banana in a shake. I’m not sure about drinks so I cannot help you there. Do you use gluten free products? Breads pastas etc? If so I would remove them as they are just as bad.
Since you have been wheat free for so long I’m sure you could help most of us with meal ideas etc!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #57  

Nora 52,

The rumor I've heard, and it is only a rumor, is that if you lose weight relatively slowly and consume enough healthy fats you stand the best chance of having your skin shrink. Back awhile ago, someone also posted they used something topically to help. Think it might have been shea butter, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #58  

Also I forgot to add I'm going to TRY and make pizza out of chicken. A woman I work with did Herbal Magic years ago and this was one of her fav foods and kept eating it after she went off plan. Take a chicken breast pound the crap out of it until its thin back for 8 mins- top with all your fav pizza toppings then back until cheese is melted. I also found another recipe on line but you need a food processor for it and mine started on fire a few weeks back (don't ask).
This is the one I found online if anyone is interested!
asy Crispy Pizza Crust

1 packed cup cooked, minced chicken breast
1 cup packed mozzarella, shredded
1 Tbsp parsley, dried
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Process chicken and cheese together. Mixture will resemble a meal/thick, dense crumb consistency.
3. Press chicken/cheese mixture on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
4. Top with parsley, basil, onion and garlic powder.
5. Bake for 12 minutes.
6. Let cool for five minutes.
7. Top with sauce, cheese, and then toppings.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes more, or until toppings are melted.
9. Let cool for five minutes.
10. Slice and serve.

Makes an entire 12-14″ pizza.

Nutritional information per 1/8 of pizza, prepared with pepperoni and added cheese and no-sugar pizza sauce: Calories: 180 , Carbohydrates: 1.8 g , Fiber: .2 g, Net Carbohydrates: 1.6 g , Protein: 17.3 g, Fat: 11 g.
Nutritional information per 1/8 of pizza crust only: Calories: 96.9, Carbohydrates: .5 g , Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: .5 g , Protein: 11.9 g, Fat: 5g.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #59  

Thanks for the information, Billster!

In regard to some stir-fries, one thing to be aware of is that soy sauce is generally NOT gluten free, though you can buy special soy sauce that is. It is also salty, which may cause water retention.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #60  

Quote:
Thanks for the information, Billster!

In regard to some stir-fries, one thing to be aware of is that soy sauce is generally NOT gluten free, though you can buy special soy sauce that is. It is also salty, which may cause water retention.
I made sure NOT to use soy sauce it was on the table and husband picked it up and was shocked to see wheat listed... I already knew so just used extra garlic and ginger