Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #46  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I have the Santa Fe tortilla Comany Carb Cutter tortillas which are about 6 inchs and only have 3 carbs!

The first ingredient is water and then whole wheat flour so I am not going to sweat it either.

I do have a question though. (I went to sign up for the message board, but I don't do Pay pal to pay for things. I have been screwed over so many times by them)

What does she say about Truvia as a sweetener?
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 185.4/183.6/169

Gosh, posting 3 times in a row! lol! having a busy week end.

Any how....kandie apple, we will be interested to hear your lab results on Monday. Have you been having abnormal results in the past?

Jeb...I like avocado, but I realize it is actually considered a fat, even though it is green and I'd like to consider it a veggie so large amounts equal large amount of fat.

Is there a recipe for the avocado/tuna/mayo mix? That sounds interesting.

I am starting to need alternative choices for foods here. I have 2 weeks left of Step 1, and my weight loss which went down, then up again, is actually going down again now. Exercising seems to help and watching my fat intake especially the nuts

I had inches lost and I can't wait to measure again at the end of this month. I however, am NOT interested in starting Step 2, quite a bit different than Step 1, so have to learn it all over again
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #48  

Kandie....is paypal the only way to pay? That is too bad you can't do that.

I have not joined and the book only talks about her recommending splenda and stevia. I can't find Truvia, I don't see that she explains why she recommends those.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
Ok so I want to understand something here.

So we have the 5x5, that I understand.

What about snacks between the 5x5. Is that anything on the yes list? I just wonder because Sunflower seeds have carbs as do most nuts.
Yeah, that was a brain teaser for me too, I guess it has as much to do with glycemic index as carb count. For a while things look picked willy nilly but when I checked most were low glycemic carbs, make any sense? And yes snacks are supposed to be neutral.
Truvia has carbs, 3 so watch them if you use them.

I too have wondered if it is more about making money as there seems to be so many changes after she hears from more long term low carbers.I will post a question about her posting changes on her blog.

Last edited by Dee74; 09-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #50  
Kandie Apple Sundae

Truvia has the carbs, but it said something about anything sugars ending in tol is a sugar alcohol so it would be subtracted from the total carbs?

Also Truvia is Stevia, just a different brand name.

Now if this is the case I have screwed up already!

I added some truvia to my whipped cream last night and a couple sprinkles to my 1/3 cup of cherrios and almond milk.

Also sadly the beef jerky i had had sugar in it. GAH! Oh well it's only day two, so I can steer onto the track.

Nelly,

No I haven't had abnormal tests before. I haven't really ever been sick so I have had no reason to go to the Doc. So this is new to me.

Last edited by Ksquared; 09-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #51  
Kandie Apple Sundae

Ok, So anything on the yes list is a nuetral and can be eaten between the 5x5.
And as I understand, nuts (or Legumes in the case of peanuts) are a slow burning carb and do not attribute to sugar but to energy. So they are nuetral for this reason.

So if that is the case (And I hope it is) then we are going ok and I only may have screwed up on the truvia and the beef jerky.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

According to Diane ~

Splenda and Truvia are neutral as is Splenda or sucralose.

Mama Lupe's makes the cut ONLY because Mama appears to have changed her ingredients. So...as it stands, 1 of her wraps is a 5 gram Counter Carb! D

Then the tuna recipe read as follows:
1 can of tuna, drained
1 avocado
A bit of mayo
-------Mix all together.

I thought it seemed like a lot of avocado so I doubled the tuna. It was good !!
jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #53  

Truvia may be ok, but on any other item we do not subtract sugar alcohols.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
Truvia has the carbs, but it said something about anything sugars ending in tol is a sugar alcohol so it would be subtracted from the total carbs?

Also Truvia is Stevia, just a different brand name.

Now if this is the case I have screwed up already!

I added some truvia to my whipped cream last night and a couple sprinkles to my 1/3 cup of cherrios and almond milk.

Also sadly the beef jerky i had had sugar in it. GAH! Oh well it's only day two, so I can steer onto the track.

Nelly,

No I haven't had abnormal tests before. I haven't really ever been sick so I have had no reason to go to the Doc. So this is new to me.
No you are good, she recommends splenda and stevia, so if that is the same as truvia, then that should be ok.

Yes the "ol" sugar alcohols do have an effect on blood sugar, so those are counted. Some manufacturers subtract that from the total carbs, if a product has it, it will be included in the total carbs, just do NOT subtract the amount from the total carbs, just the fiber.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #55  

Hi Dee!
Are you also doing MM diet?

What kind of things is Diane hearing from people that makes her want to change things? I thought she was the "expert"
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #56  
Kandie Apple Sundae

Ok I know I have alot of questions.

Tell me about Sugar free Jelly and Preserves. They are on the yes list. So are they ok?

Also they have 4 sugar alcohols.. do I take those from the total carbs?
Also I got natural peanut butter and it is peanuts, salt, palm oil and sugar. Do I need to count it as a 5x5?

Both these things are on the yes list, but I jsut want to make sure I understand completely.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #57  
Kandie Apple Sundae

yes, sometimes I just need a little reminder that I can reduce the serving size. DUH moment LOL. Though it would be a mere taste since the bread meets the 5 carb limit. So I'd have to cut off the crust so I could add the jelly. I can't find any low carb bread. the one I have is close enough, but only for bread and butter or bread and a hint of jam but no peanut butter.

gotta find a recipe for low carb bread.

Thank you for all your help guys. it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #58  
Kandie Apple Sundae

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD
For crustier buns, toast lightly on both sides in nonstick pan. Copyright: More Splendid Low-Carbing with compliments for lowcarbfriends.com from Jennifer Eloff

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour, (150 mL)
OR oat flour
1/2 cup wheat OR oat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry four, (50 mL)
OR flax seeds, ground, OR
oat flour, OR soy flour
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDAź Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour), wheat or oat bran, ground flax seeds (or whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour or soy flour), yeast, SPLENDAź Granular, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program bread machine to Bread Rapid setting and color to medium. Remove 30 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Cover lightly with foil. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Remove foil; switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Bake 30 minutes. Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Place in paper bag and leave at room temperature for crusty loaves. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.0 g Carbs)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

On the way out the door to work. Had tuna and cottage cheese for breakfast, not my favorite breakfast choice but the higher the protein the better I feel at the start of my work day.

Pre-made a cauliflower pizza crust so I can do a quickie pizza when I get home tonight. Have to say the crust came out much better than I had thought. I cut a tiny corner off to taste and it does have a bread like texture. A slight cauliflower taste at the end but once toppings are on it I don't think it will be that noticeable.

Regarding peanut butter I have been using the smucker's natural peanut butter .

Have a great OP day everyone !!
jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
Hi Dee!
Are you also doing MM diet?

What kind of things is Diane hearing from people that makes her want to change things? I thought she was the "expert"
Yes, starting again today or tomorrow lots going on.
I did ask her about any changes she said there were none in the plan just foods that are ok as manufacturers keep changing recipes. Others were long time LC staples OMM, cauliflower pizza crust etc.

And I read here that 2 slip ups a week were ok, now 1 in five hours = another 3 days.
So really no change just got to keep watching the labels on foods you eat, My Jay Robbs unflavored just went from no carbs to 1 so.... keep reading.
Yes DH and I both are pre diabetic and must do something and this is livable.

Looking forward to having some friends and support, Dee.