does anyone else think fiber is overrated?

• i've always been indoctrinated into the belief that more fiber=better when dieting. Yet i noticed that when i was on vacation and ate less fiber, i had no bathroom issues. And i noticed when i eat too much fiber, i am constantly gassy. I believe everything, even good things, need to be eaten in moderation. So for the first time ever, i've given up the idea that more=better when it comes to vegetables (which i realize is not the same thing is fiber). I don't think it's necessary to eat a huge amount of vegetables. Just sticking to 3-4 servings a day. That's my new theory.
  • 3-4 servings a day is the recommended amount, so it sounds like you are on the right track. It's not overrated by any stretch of the imagination, but just because it's vital to your diet doesn't mean more is better.
  • It also takes time for you gut bacteria to adjust from one end to the other when you suddenly up fiber rich foods.

A.
  • On days you have more fiber, you may want to take a Beano or Gas-X. Some people have more sensitivity to fiber than others.
  • I really pumped up the fiber for quite some time, drank plenty of water with it but it didn't seem to work. I actually felt more constipated. Then I started reading how some think overdoing the fiber is actually too hard on the intestines and that improving the gut flora is better for you. So I found a (reportedly) really good probiotic and took that regularly. Not much difference in the bm frequency. Then I added some extra magnesium and found the bm to be a little more regular, but not much.

With a cut in how much I eat, there were less bm. When I cut grains and legumes from my diet, even less bm. I eat plenty of veggies but the only veg that seems to have any bm impact (in the right way) is spinach and other dark greens. I don't have a movement every day, or even every other day. But when it happens, it seems to be several times in a day. That seems to be how my intestines roll.