Yummiest Protein shake?

• So, what are your favorite protein shakes (low carb?)

With sugar free syrup is cool, juts curious.
  • I like making my own with my Rocket Blender (a personal blender like the Magic Bullet).

I like using unsweetened almond milk as my base (lower carb than skim milk and only 40 to 60 calories)

unflavored, unsweetened whey protein isolate.

frozen fruit (usually berries) or ice cubes

I may add sugar free (Splenda sweetened) syrups or dry sugar free pudding mix to sweeten or flavor the shake.

For example one favorite is raspberry mocha

1 cup almond milk
    3/4 cup frozen raspberries
    1/2 tsp of instant coffee granules
    8g (1/4 package) sugar free chocolate fudge jello pudding mix
    28g unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder

Tomorrow I'm planning on trying a new recipe I think will be good (to use the Torani sugar free white chocolate flavored syrup I bought this weekend)

White chocolate strawberry

1c almond milk
    3/4 to 1c frozen strawberries
    28g of whey powder
    1 to 2 tblsp of Torani white chocolate sf syrup
  • Oh Girl, I love your posts! I don't like coffee but please tell me how the white chocolate strawberry comes out. I've used unsweetened vanilla almond milk a lot in the past when I did low carb, but its been months!
  • Quote: Oh Girl, I love your posts! I don't like coffee but please tell me how the white chocolate strawberry comes out. I've used unsweetened vanilla almond milk a lot in the past when I did low carb, but its been months!
    It was AWESOME!

I'm not a huge coffee fan, either. I have to be in the "right" mood (I bought the tiniest instant coffee jar I could find, and in six months you can hardly tell it's been used at all - that's how often I have a taste for coffee).

You can leave out the coffee and the smoothie is still very good. In fact I've made countless variations of smoothie by using the formula

1. base liquid (any of the following)
    1 cup almond milk (40 to 60 calories)
    1 cup of skim milk (80 to 90 calories)
    1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water (90 calories)

2. fruit
    preferably frozen, to equal about one fruit exchange on my exchange plan (usually about 50 to 70 calories)

3. protein

any protein powder but I prefer whey protein (50 to 110 calories).

4. Flavorings and sweeteners (optional)

Splenda, equal or stevia (I prefer Splenda)
    sugar free pudding mix
    Torani or Davince syrups
    instant coffee
    Crystal Light style drink mix powders
    sugar free jello (dry mix)
    flavorings and extracts

5. Ice cubes (if I don't use frozen fruit)

Using the formula I haven't had a bad combination yet. I got the idea from the low-carb smoothie book by Dana Carpender (I love her low-carb cookbooks, but the smoothie book is the only one I wasn't even tempted to buy - because most of the recipes follow the above formula. So I wrote down a few that looked really good, but mostly I just use the formula to develop my own.
  • Mine is pretty simple

- 1 scoop of whey protein
    - half clight sweetened with splenda (my favorite is Piņa Colada)
    - Ice

Total is less than 2 carbs.
  • Thanks ladies!
  • I really like Jay Robb's protein shakes. I have the egg white shakes in chocolate and vanilla. Both are pretty good. I do add frozen strawberries or flavored stevia sometimes. Sweetleaf makes some good flavors of stevia like root beer and toffee.
  • I didnt know Stevia had flavored stuff, thanks!
  • What kinda protein powder do you buy? Are there big differences other than flavors or whether it's whey or not? I thought about getting some, and looked at it in the Sam's Club, and all the packages had *eXXXtreme!%!*! pictures of giant exploding bicep muscles on them. So I was a little scared. I just want some basic stuff to put in the interesting looking recipes that I've seen.
  • I buy whey protein, it doesn't have a funny wang to me just a milk taste. Ignore the pictures, check the ingredients and carb counts. I aim for as low as 1 net carb per scoop and sugar free (splenda or stevia preferred for me).

My all time favorite shake is the atkins daybreak mixed berry. I'm not a berry fan, but that stuff is delish.

Also, for coffee drinkers, the premade chocolate one, mixed with inst coffee, scoop or less of whey powder, tbls or two of heavy cream - couple ice cubes, run thru the personal blender (I use a tribest - it could turn rocks to sand). I add a little cinnamon sometimes, little cocoa extra sometimes. If I'm very hungry I add a little more whey and cream. If I'm just eating because I'm a little hungery, less cream and whey powder.
  • I use Myoplex Lite, but only because I always have. It's tasty, easy to find, and comes in different flavors (which you can then dress up with everything from frozen mango chunks to peanut butter to pumpkin puree).

I have a tendency to turn a shake into a 600 calorie extravaganza, so I often go with the "ready-to-drink" affairs (unless I am routinely lifting a lot of weights).