Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #211  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

dancerindenver - when we travel we bring our own snacks - almonds, fruit, jerky, olives, guacamole packs, pemmican. I have the paleogogo app for finding paleo (or pseudo paleo) meals at restaurants, but honestly most of the time we just eat at chipotle (burrito bowls without rice) or panera (salads, without croutons/wontons/tortillas and no or very limited dressing) when on the road. We'll sometimes stop at a steakhouse type place or a mexican place, because those are easy joints to find paleo-ish options at.

If we're on an actual VACATION where we want to try the local cuisine, we just keep paleo 'rules' in mind and don't worry about being too strict. Obviously no cake or anything, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a little stray soy, etc.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #212  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

My body can tolerate cheese, greek yogurt and cream. So those are what I stick with, but in small amounts. I agree that sometimes a small piece of cheese just get that spot. I try to stay with flavorful cheeses (feta, this sharp white cheddar I like, and even goal cheese). I've also found my body does good with the farmer's cheese I make.

I am working on taking snacks. I am going to try carrying jerky, fruit and nuts. That may be what I need.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #213  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzthingaling View Post
I've also found my body does good with the farmer's cheese I make.
Please tell me how to make farmer's cheese!!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #214  
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
Please tell me how to make farmer's cheese!!
I watched a guy on youtube make it but now I can't think of his name.

I use:

1 half gallon milk
1/4 c vinegar
1tsp salt

other spices if I feel fancy

Heat milk to it hot, but not boiling. Turn off heat and pour vinegar. Let it sit until the whey separates from the curd. Drain into a cheese clothe, season and tie. I let it hand for about 10 min over the sink and then refrigerate.

If you want to make more there are some good ones on youtube that even do mozzarella.

Last edited by Mizzthingaling; 01-24-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #215  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Looks like its been sort of quiet here... I have to admit I've been a little lax lately sticking to "strict paleo"... since I've been really focusing on my IF and experimenting with getting my diet in the ketogenic range to try and really make a dent it some stubborn body fat that I would like to get rid of... I know "paleo" is very compatible with what I'm trying to do and for the most part everything I'm eating is very paleo friendly... But that little bit of extra flexibility is mentally making it a bit easier for me to stick with right now... So for me, maybe this idea of an 80/20 rule is probably a good idea...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #216  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I've been cheating lately- major carb binges. I need to get back on track.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #217  
Heading Downtown...

EagleRiverDee... I'm right there with ya... Those carbs can be a slippery slope... I've been rationalizing... I tell myself something like "It's only a bit of honey" and then I think "Well, wouldn't that be good over a sliced up banana... and while you at it why not add some chopped nuts..." and then it's all over... I wind up having some dark chocolate too, because at point I just can't help myself... and I probably could of just had a bowl of ice cream with about the same amount of sugar

Funny thing is I always thought I would have more trouble staying away from the bread, pasta, and rice than I would the sweets... But I guess I'm more of sugar addict than I realized...

Oh, well... I guess the one good thing is at least I'm not kidding myself about it as much anymore...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 01-29-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #218  
Golden

I had some slips too until it gave me stomach pains. No more bread for me. I want to try to get to 90/10 but I took am trying to drop some body fat.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #219  
Heading Downtown...

Not exactly back on track yet... but I haven't had any chocolate in over a week and I cut out the one Sugar in the Raw packet I was using in my coffee... And speaking of coffee... Has anybody here tried making "Bullet Proof" coffee? From what I can gather it's coffee with BUTTER and COCONUT OIL in it! Which sounds a bit over the top to me... but maybe it's just one of those things along the lines of "Don't knock it till you try it"?

Actually, this brings me to my next question... Does anybody have any recommendations for "paleo" cookbooks that they like? One of my problem areas seems to be with sauces and salad dressings... and saw that one of the PB cookbooks is just for that... Anyone have that one? I might just go ahead and buy it sight unseen, because with all the "Big ***" salads that I eat I really need to stop being so lazy and start making my own salad dressings again...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 02-04-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #220  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I use fast paleo for all my recipes. Marks daily apple .com has some great ones for sauces too. Somewhere on his site he has recipes for ketchup, mustard and mayo.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #221  
Heading Downtown...

Thanks Radiojane... I'll check those out...
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

I really like Well Fed by Melissa Jouwan.

I also purchased Practical Paleo and I forget, another one, but Well Fed is the one that I use the most, to be honest.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #223  
Heading Downtown...

Rana... thanks.. I was looking at Well Fed on amazon... it looked really good... I almost just went ahead and bought it, but I decided I wanted to take a look at in person first, so I've got to take a walk over to Barnes & Noble... I'm just afraid I'll come out of there with every paleo cookbook they have... I've been known to get carried away there... lol...

Jez... I really like exotic stuff too... and even though I can find pretty much anything here in NYC (you should see some of stuff they have down in Chinatown... It's still alive!) whenever I bring up the subject of trying something different at home, my family gives me a look like I'm crazy and tells me there is no way they're going to eat anything like that... So I only get to try stuff like that when I'm eating out too...

A few weeks ago though I did special order some fresh game that was supposedly hunted on some estate in Scotland and then flown next day air to New York and tried this really elaborate recipe which was basically a really fancy stew... I didn't tell my family what was in it and I made noodles to go with it for them, so I think they just thought it was goulash or something... lol... No one really complained... just said it was really "rich" and "heavy" but good... the only real problem is we could have all probably just gone out to dinner for what it wound up costing to make... lol... But I would definitely do it again for a special occasion or maybe a holiday or something like that...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #224  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I'm still rocking this Primal diet. Mostly. I've got some bad habits and need to quit them. I've got a sweet tooth that I've been giving in to lately, and wine...I love wine. I'm thinking of giving alcohol up for Lent, since I think I would stick with it for that. LOL. My breakfasts and lunches are pretty much 100% Primal. Dinner is my pitfall. Some because of me, but a lot because of my DH who seems to just not want to go along. Like last night he brought home Gyros. I mean, I love Gyros, of course. But of course I weigh up a pound this morning due to the bread.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #225  

EagleRiverDee,

I understand. My DH often wants to go out for Thai and Chinese, (and I am even wheat intolerant). Those places never have gluten-free menus. That or he pushes Margaritas if we go out for Mexican, where they at least have a steak fajita salad.

At least with Gyros at home you can ditch the bread and wrap the contents in romaine leaves.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote