Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #181  

I'm having trouble getting back "on plan". Everyone in my house has been sick at various times the past two weeks. I've had a hard time making it to the grocery store. I'm going today, so I will be back to paleo tomorrow. My joints hurt from eating bad.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 194/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Does anyone else get gastric upset from coconut oil? I've been using it sporadically- mostly for stir-frying vegetables - and I swear I get heartburn and a rumbly gut from it the following day. It comes so highly recommended that I want to like it. The flavor is fine, it's just the aftermath I'm not fond of.
I've heard that some people can be sensitive to it and need to gradually increase their intake. You may be one of those who are allergic to it. I don't like coconut at all but we use it to fry chicken (doing it tonight) and I have never had any GI problems from it.
bindiboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #183  

Dee, what brand of coconut oil do you use? Coconut oil is one food that does not give me trouble. I use nutiva.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #184  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I've never really gotten into coconut oil... and I really wanted to like it too... I've bought it several times and used it for various things and I always hope that "Oh, this time it will be different and I'll like it more now" but sadly it never is... But since I don't live in the tropics (unfortunately) I just rationalize and tell myself that I don't really need it anyway...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

coconut oil makes me REALLY sick. I'm reluctant to ever try it again, actually, because one day it took me out of commission all day.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #186  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Wow I didn't know that about coconut oil. I usually have issues with other foods. Thankfully, it coconut oil works great for me and my stomach. At least there are other nut oils.

If anyone know of a good tasting olive oil, let me know. I usually pick the general one at the store but something is just missing with the taste.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #187  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzthingaling View Post
If anyone know of a good tasting olive oil, let me know. I usually pick the general one at the store but something is just missing with the taste.
Light or extra virgin? I really like the O brand organic from Safeway in Extra Virgin. It's got a nice fruity flavor.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #188  
Heading Downtown...

I believe olive oil is a lot like wine... You have to taste it for yourself to see if you like it... Also the particular region that it is from actually makes a difference in its flavor to me as well...

Is the one from Safeway from California? They're producing some really good ones these days... I'm partial to ones from Italy, especially ones from Tuscany and also some from Liguria as well...

Also I like to pick ones that provide the harvest date on the bottle... This way I'm buying ones from last year's harvest and I know it's fresh... My understanding is olive oil is not something that improves with age like wine...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 01-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #189  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Thanks Eagle and Trip. We don't have a Safeway but I will start looking at dates and trying some. I tried chestnuts for the first time today. All of the Christmas nuts are on sale at Kroger for .50 a pound so I decided to try them. The taste reminds me of an acorn. They're not for me, but I will be getting some more almonds, pecans and walnuts.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #190  
Heading Downtown...

Hi Jez... Are you following any specific plan? Right now I'm interested in applying paleo principles to not only what I'm eating, but to my lifestyle as well... So diet wise I'm avoiding grains, dairy, sugar, alcohol, processed and prepared foods, etc... So lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts and seeds, and fruit... for protein sources I've been using mostly fresh fish, but I'm also looking to also maybe have some wild game like venison or elk as well...

And as far as lifestyle changes I'd like to move more of my road running to trail running and maybe move from marathons to ultras, since those are pretty much exclusively trail based and held in some amazing places that I'd like to explore... and they're more like hiking/trekking with some running thrown in anyways... Which is what I've been gravitating towards...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 01-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #191  
Heading Downtown...

Just curious... Does anyone include any game meats in their diet? I'd be interested to hear others experience and if anyone has any recommendations on ones they really like, as well as good suppliers that would be great...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #192  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Just curious... Does anyone include any game meats in their diet? I'd be interested to hear others experience and if anyone has any recommendations on ones they really like, as well as good suppliers that would be great...
Yes but only because I live in Alaska. We have halibut and red salmon we catch ourselves and then some moose that my boss gave me. My DH plans on doing some caribou hunting this summer.

Actual wild game, I'm not sure if it's legal to buy and sell. I don't think it is- I know for sure individuals in Alaska are prohibited from buying/selling game meat because they arrest people for it up here. Now you can get free range bison and reindeer (domesticated caribou) but they aren't truly wild. They will be, however, free range and grass fed so healthier by definition. And I've seen lots of shops that sell mixed meats- like hot dogs that have reindeer meat, etc. That may just be up here though and laws in other states probably differ.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #193  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

It is illegal to sell game in Canada, I don't know about the states. We get a lot of game meat from friends that hunt. You can tell the difference between farm raised and truly hunted.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #194  
Heading Downtown...

Thanks for the tips about game... I didn't even really stop to consider the distinction between what constitutes truly "wild" so I'll have to do some more research, but from the sound of it what is being sold as "wild game" isn't truly wild... I'll have to do some more exploring to see what I can find here... Wish me luck...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #195  
Heading Downtown...

So it is possible to get wild game meat here in season...from a company that I really like... and is known for really top quality.... In fact the purveyor warns that the meat may contain buckshot... So that sounds about as "wild" as I'll be able to find here in NYC... lol... Now I just have to decide if I want to spend a small fortune on this little "experiment"...