Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Sounds delish!
In the spirit of sharing, I made stuffed mushrooms for a party this weekend that were filled with
- sauteed chorizo sausage
- sauteed onion and garlic
- sauteed chopped stems of the mushrooms being stuffed
- added in some cream cheese and cooked chopped frozen spinach.

Seriously yummy and on plan! Still eating the leftovers and very much enjoying it
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #137  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Georgia and Dancer those sound delish. I like the recipe sharing. It's a great help. I actually made soup today for tomorrow, ha. I sauteed radish, collard leaves, cabbage leaves and spinach from my garden.

I boiled the chicken then added the green veggies, bell peppers and carrots. I added tomato sauce and seasons. I let it simmer and dropped in cheese at the end. It already tastes good, so it will be better tomorrow.

I also made some dark chocolate pecan bark. It was such a treat. I've never liked dark chocolate but since I have cut down on sugar, it finally tastes good to me. Milk chocolate is too sweet.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #138  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well after 3 weeks eating primal I have to say I like it. I don't get hungry like I used to, which I am guessing has got to do with not having wild swings in my insulin/blood sugar levels. I've lost only 5 lbs (I was down 7 but popped back up 2 for some reason) but I'm feeling good. My energy is better, I'm sleeping better and my digestion is good. I had worried that without all the whole grains that I wouldn't be getting enough fiber to stay regular but that has not been the case (TMI, I know, but it was a concern). I plan to continue this lifestyle and see what happens. I'm traveling to see my parents in a week and I don't know if my dietary choices are going to be a problem or not. They're pretty open minded and my Dad did Atkins for years so I think they'll be ok provided I'm flexible on Christmas itself for Christmas dinner, which I plan to be.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi, ladies, I've been trying to eat Paleo with off an on success. I want to make this a lasting, healthy change so am trying to ride with the highs and lows to make a lifestyle change.

I'm addicted to sugar, I have a sweet tooth that rages.

I've subscribed to the thread so I'll try to come back through!
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #140  
Here to Learn

Becky-

Well I've only been doing this diet for 3 weeks but I can tell you I have zero cravings now, and zero blood sugar swings. It used to be I had to eat *right now* when my blood sugar dropped. Cutting grains seems to have stabilized everything. And I've lost 8 lbs. I'm super stoked.

My main advice is- don't cheat. Cut the processed foods, cut ALL grains, cut legumes (beans, peas), no candy, no fruit juice, no soda. But do eat lots of fresh vegetables and 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day, and of course different forms of meat and seafood. My fiance and I are both doing this diet but he cheats all the time. OJ in the morning. Sandwich at lunch. He's really only eating paleo/primal at night with me, and he hasn't lost any weight.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 12-13-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #141  
Golden

I too have a sweet tooth. I would agree with not cheating for a while and seeing if the craving stop. I did and they really stopped. Instead of eating candy or chips I have tried drinking Celestial Lemon Zinger (it cuts my cravings anyway) and I have added fruit.

Another thing I did was add dark chocolate. I make my own bark with pecans, walnuts and sometimes cashews. For some reason I can eat this and it cuts the chocolate craving. When I eat milk chocolate I need lots of it to fill that desire. I and do 1-2 pieces of this and be fine. I have also made hot cocoa with pure cocoa powder, almond milk and stevia. It helps.

Try to find something that works for you after you try to go hard. I haven't weighed bc my scale broke but I did wear my skinny jeans today and they are loose. When these are loose I know I've lost weight. They are made to cling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Quilts View Post
Hi, ladies, I've been trying to eat Paleo with off an on success. I want to make this a lasting, healthy change so am trying to ride with the highs and lows to make a lifestyle change.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #142  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Quilts View Post

I"ve also been on and off paleo for a few years. I've been gluten free for the past six weeks. That's the longest I've ever gone. I've had a corn tortilla and a white potato here and there. I'm most concerned about getting rid of wheat right now. I feel better each week. It's really worth it. Keep trying!

I think what has helped me ease into lasting change is by adding things to my diet first without taking certain foods away. I've gradually replaced grains with more vegetables. I kept trying new foods and new ways to prepare them. When cutting out grains, dairy, beans this last time, it was a breeze because I was rarely eating them anyway. The only time I have a hard time now is with social situations, but it's getting easier.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #143  

Height: 5'0"

I've been struggling with Paleo the past couple of months because of morning sickness (I'm 11 weeks pregnant today). But yesterday I committed to getting fully back on plan. In my previous two pregnancies I failed the 1 hour glucose test, and I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I'd love to pass the glucose test this time, and I know Paleo is my best hope for it.

I've found that meal planning really helps me avoid the "Don't know what's for dinner, let's grab a pizza" type of thinking. Tonight we're having roast chicken and sauteed spinach.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #144  
Golden

Banana I need to plan as well. Anything will look good when I'm hungry. Weirdly, I am having dreams of pizza. I don't really have dreams about bread so maybe it means something else.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #145  
Here to Learn

Down 10 lbs since Nov. 26 (when I started Paleo). I do miss pasta and bread a little, but I'm enjoying eating whole foods and I find that my "I'm full" signal works much better when I'm avoiding grains. And weight loss is a snap, it just sort of happens. As of this morning I officially hit the BMI # for being overweight instead of obese. Of course, I get on a plane tonight to go visit my parents and we'll see how well I do on maintaining a paleo diet then.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I'm doing a bit of sort-of Paleo right now (not being as strict as usual because of the holidays but plan to kick it into higher gear afterwards).

One of my favorite breakfasts right now is:

2 slices of bacon
all kinds of veggies and jalapeno slices sauteed in the bacon fat
1 egg and a half cup egg whites poured onto it in a messy omelet
a tiny bit of cheese

SO GOOD and rich and keeps me full until lunch.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #147  

Height: 5'0"

I know a lot of people think that some paleo folks each too much bacon. And, well, <raising hand> bacon lover here.

I took my leftover roast chicken and made it into chicken salad (just process it in the food processor and add a little mostly-paleo mayo, salt & pepper). For lunch today I wrapped it in a lettuce leaf with some sliced tomato and some leftover crisp bacon strips. Yummers!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #148  

banana - your lunch sounds great! I'm a huge bacon fan - I'm doing primal (a version of paleo) and have lost 32 lbs having 4 slices of bacon for breakfast every day. I'm with you on the love of bacon

Dee - congrats on the losses - you are doing great!!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

dancerindenver - is there a huge difference between primal and paleo?

32 pounds! That's great!
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #150  

Olehcat - they are pretty similar. Basically I eat no sugar or starches (except some berries or half an apple), but I eat fullfat dairy, meat, fish, nuts, olives, eggs and lots of veggies. Butter, olive oil and avocados too. Dairy doesn't seem to be slowing down my weight loss at all and I don't think I'm allergic. What's on your on plan list these days?