Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

I'm starting today I'm trying to do paleo, but may end up closer to primal. I have the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook coming today!
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #32  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyh2012 View Post
I'm just new to the Paleo (got the primal blueprint book yesterday) and I'm looking to starting it after the weekend. Has anyone actually lost a lot of weight on it? I need to lose 100lbs and I'm looking for thinspiration.
Stacey, I recommend the Success Stories at Mark's Daily Apple for inspiration galore!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #33  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Stacey, I've got a lot of weight to lose. I started at 353 lbs. Down to 293 lbs. I stalled around 315 lbs, popped back up to 330 lbs, then learned switched to Paleo. The last 40+ pound loss was a combination of Paleo and Intermittent Fasting. I'm sticking to this because I have health issues that eating like this addresses. For me, going Paleo was about avoiding certain foods that led to other issues. I lost some weight with pure Paleo eating because my cravings were greatly diminished, hunger was more manageable due to blood sugar regulation, and my food sensitivities were eliminated. The IF helped me to cut calories and really helped me to stop being as obsessed about food and eating.

I still have a lot of weight to lose, but it doesn't feel so impossible. I'm hitting menopause, so there's going to be a bit of drag with the weight loss for a little time. I'm still losing, just not as quickly as I used to. Working on cutting calories even more. Over the holidaze I went off program and gained back 11 lbs. I've almost got all of that off (3.5 lbs left to go). Had to go on a leptin-resistance Paleo thing. I'm tracking all that here, if you care to follow along.

Last edited by geoblewis; 01-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #34  

Default Low Carbing/Wheat Belly Paleo

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to the Paleo/wheat free lifestyle. I wouldn't say I'm 100% Paleo because I like cheese and the occasional latte I am 100% wheat free. I love not having the cravings associated with carbs! I feel like I have made a lifestyle change. I discovered the greatness of coconut oil!! Who knew??? I'm making more things at home and I've become more aware of the meat I eat.

Before starting this lifestyle, I lost maybe 5 lbs in 6 months working out. I had no idea that wheat was such a bad idea in a diet! I'm now down an additional 15 lbs. I really can't see myself ever going back to eating wheat. I love to know experiment with the almond and coconut flours.
Joannavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannavan View Post
Hello all,
I'm pretty new to the Paleo/wheat free lifestyle. I wouldn't say I'm 100% Paleo because I like cheese and the occasional latte I am 100% wheat free. I love not having the cravings associated with carbs! I feel like I have made a lifestyle change. I discovered the greatness of coconut oil!! Who knew??? I'm making more things at home and I've become more aware of the meat I eat.

Before starting this lifestyle, I lost maybe 5 lbs in 6 months working out. I had no idea that wheat was such a bad idea in a diet! I'm now down an additional 15 lbs. I really can't see myself ever going back to eating wheat. I love to know experiment with the almond and coconut flours.
Those are great results! I keep teetering back and forth. I'm fine at home, but can't say no to bread at social engagements or eating out. I really like almond four as a breading for chicken with some garlic powder and salt. YUM! I've made coconut flour biscuits, which turned out pretty good.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love white chocolate hot cocoas, but the prepackaged mixes are all very non-paleo and extremely high carb. I've been trying to develop a fair compromise, and I've made two that are delicious and paleo (or nealry so).

1. Heat 8-12 ounces of almond milk in saucepan or in microwave, then stir in two tablespoons of Torani's Sugar Free White Chocolate Syrup (sweetened with Splenda - not all paleo plans allow Splenda, but many do).

This was good, but a little too sweet.

2. Heat 8-12 ounces of almond milk in saucepan or in microwave, then stir in a tablespoon of coconut butter (or coconut manna - essentially ground coconut).

This isn't as sweet, but with the natural sweetness in the almonds and the coconut, I didn't miss the additional sweetener.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #37  

S/C/G: cw160gw135

Height: 5'6

Hey, paleo dieters: Have you found that you build/retain muscle better with this lifestyle, than before when you were munching bread?
ikiryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #38  
Renaissance Woman

Quote:
Have you found that you build/retain muscle better with this lifestyle, than before when you were munching bread?
Since going paleo and cutting the grains, dairy and legumes, I have definitely built more muscle. We know that the protein feeds the muscle building. But what was more important to me was adequately eating protein to get past the soreness so I could get right back into the next scheduled workout. When I wasn't eating enough protein, I'd hurt for days and days.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #39  
No description available.

Hope you all don't mind out if I hang out in here.

I've been pondering addiction, addictive tendencies, self-harm issues, coping methods, etc. Even before Whitney Houston's death yesterday, I'd been considering how people cope with addiction. I know that my own tendencies are not on par with, say, heroin or oxycontin or crack or alcohol, and I will never face the type of legal or employment consequences people with those addictions face. Nonetheless, I am trying to come to grips with why I make choices that do harm my body. I'm at the point where I either need to clean up my food and lose weight OR stop running, because I am too heavy to run right now. My knees are grouching at me. The foods I eat are negatively affecting my health in both obvious and subtle ways.

I know a lot of people can lose weight with moderation or calorie counting, but I think I need to quit sugar and white flour. I just need to quit.

Other people have successfully quit other far more addictive substances.

I'm looking at the Whole30 and I like that. I've followed those principles before. Not sure why I think "just one bite" is okay...one turns into two and more and more and I feel like garbage.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #40  

S/C/G: cw160gw135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Since going paleo and cutting the grains, dairy and legumes, I have definitely built more muscle. We know that the protein feeds the muscle building. But what was more important to me was adequately eating protein to get past the soreness so I could get right back into the next scheduled workout. When I wasn't eating enough protein, I'd hurt for days and days.
Thank you. This is basically what I was thinking it would do. And I have found that my muscle recovery is far better than it was before when carbs took up a percentage of my diet.
ikiryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #41  
Renaissance Woman

Quote:
Not sure why I think "just one bite" is okay...one turns into two and more and more and I feel like garbage.
Midwife, I highly recommend The End of Overeating by David Kessler. It really opened my eyes about how much modern times have aided in creating and fostering addictions to food. And you're right, it's that first bite that is the gateway to losing control. I haven't finished reading the book yet, but there is a plan on how to learn to manage those moments when you're about to capitulate to that first bite.

Another thing that I've found immensely helpful is Emotional Brain Training. I'm practicing that technique now (have been for some time) and I find it exceptionally helpful with dealing with the rabbit trail of emotions that lead me to overeat, as well as other destructive behaviors. I've been able to step away from situations and people that keep me mired in the old mindset of using food to manage my emotions. I really believe it's why I have been able to maintain my focus on weight loss efforts.

I have a lot more weight to lose and a lot of challenges that prevent it from melting off at a steady rate. But Whole30, Paleolithic principals are what fuels my success.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #42  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I'm looking at the Whole30 and I like that. I've followed those principles before. Not sure why I think "just one bite" is okay...one turns into two and more and more and I feel like garbage.
I'm on day 20 of Whole 30 and so far I feel great and haven't had any trouble sticking with the plan. I haven't lost as much weight as I'd hoped, but it's worth it to feel so much better. Once my 30 days are up I will stick with a Paleo diet, maybe not Whole 30 strict all the time, but for the most part I don't see much need to veer from the Whole 30 principles.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

I have been reading a lot about paleo eating a lot of the last few days. I have also been interested in only eating grassfed meats for a long time. Do any of you do grass fed? If so, do you get it local or online?
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #44  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
I have been reading a lot about paleo eating a lot of the last few days. I have also been interested in only eating grassfed meats for a long time. Do any of you do grass fed? If so, do you get it local or online?
We have a local organic market that sells grass fed meat, so when I get it, that's where I buy it. I can't always afford to eat exactly to paleo standards, but I do the best I can. Grass fed steak is a once in a while treat for me.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-14-2012 at 02:41 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

I just found a company in Texas, that ships free in the US, it seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm going to order, and see how long it last me. This is what I ordered

10lbs Ground Beef, 90% lean: sm

2pks Kerrygold Butter Unsalted

3pks Smoked Ham Slices

1 Pastured Whole Chicken Roaster

2pks Boneless/Skinless Breasts

2pks Bone-In Thighs

2pks Drum Sticks

5lbs Ground Chicken

2pks Italian Chicken Sausage

1 Hawaii's Gold Macadamia Nut Oil

this was a little less than 300.00 it should last about a month and 1/2 I think. maybe more(Family of 4 - 1 adult, 3 kids)
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote