Committed to Paleo/Primal

You're on Page 6 of 16
Go to
  • I just started a 6week challenge on NerdFitness.com. my goals are no less than 4 days at the gym and no less than 5 days being as close to paleo as I can get.

Here's my food log for the first 2 days.

Day 1
    Breakfast-3 cage free eggs and some turkey crumbles,
    Large Coffee with 2 oz almond milk and 2oz 1% milk

Lunch-leftover free range roasted chicken and a bunch of asparagus

Dinner- Hamburger steaks made with grass fed beef and free range chicken, sliced portabella mushrooms and roasted mixed veggies

Day 2-
    Breakfast- 3 Cage free eggs and some turkey sausage crumbles(I really love these)
    Large Coffee with 2 oz almond milk and 2oz 1% milk

Lunch- Beef Tips and Broccoli

Snack- Apple and Almond butter

Dinner- Spaghetti (cabbage, organic sauce and grass fed beef)
  • Willow, I just joined the NF challenge too. My username there is supercanuck - I don't know how to work the forum yet but maybe we can be friends and motivate each other on there??
  • Hey supercanuck, I just found you there, you have responded to my blog once..lol. I sent you a friend request there
  • I've been caught up with recent type 2 diabetes issues, hyper-focusing on trying to figure out how to control my blood sugar. I have to give up the Intermittent Fasting until I lose enough weight so that my blood sugar doesn't pop up too high any longer. I've tested my blood sugar throughout a few fasting days and was disappointed to discover that it simply will not go down to a safe range unless I eat on a regular basis.

But as long as I remain strictly Paleo, my blood sugar does much better. As long as I don't overeat. In the morning my blood sugar starts off high and will just go higher if I eat more than 20 gm of protein at a meal. The same goes for going over 5 net gm of carbohydrate and 10 gm of fat. So that's the parameters I'm stuck with. That means for breakfast I can have non-starchy veg, and a much smaller portion of protein and fat than I'm accustomed to. My remaining meals look pretty much the same but I seem to handle blood sugar better later in the day so I can eat a little more protein and fat, but not carbs.

I'm in the process of creating some go-to combos for meals. Breakfast is going to have to be nothing more than a single poached egg on some sauteed greens, and I have to eat that first thing in the morning to get my body to stop accessing stored fats and flooding my system with glycogen in the mornings. It's okay for everybody else, but my pancrease is too lazy to deal with it.

Maybe with the very tight control over the blood sugar I'll finally be able to pick up the weight loss pace!
  • Georgia, I really feel for you with your struggle to find the right balance. It's frustrating when it's this hard for some of us, especially when others seem to have an easier time of it.

I have been struggling with my own balance recently. March, in short, has sucked for weight loss. Ever since I finished my Whole 30 and added back a few things (just dark chocolate and wine, mostly) my weight loss has stalled. This past week I was on vacation, and while I managed to avoid wheat the whole time, I couldn't avoid rice entirely. So I don't appear to have gained while on vacation, but I didn't lose either. Normally that would be a victory, but I was really expecting to be below 200 before I left, and that didn't happen.

I'm hanging on to the hope that once TOM ends in a few days I'll see a number in the 100s. As of yesterday I am back on strict Whole 30 for the next six weeks, when I will be leaving town again. We'll see if the strict restriction of grains does the trick to get things moving again. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
  • Quote: I just found a company in Texas, that ships free in the US, it seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm going to order, and see how long it last me. This is what I ordered

10lbs Ground Beef, 90% lean: sm

2pks Kerrygold Butter Unsalted

3pks Smoked Ham Slices

1 Pastured Whole Chicken Roaster

2pks Boneless/Skinless Breasts

2pks Bone-In Thighs

2pks Drum Sticks

5lbs Ground Chicken

2pks Italian Chicken Sausage

1 Hawaii's Gold Macadamia Nut Oil

this was a little less than 300.00 it should last about a month and 1/2 I think. maybe more(Family of 4 - 1 adult, 3 kids)
    I'm going to be starting the Whole30 before long and I was just reading through the thread. I was wondering if you can tell me what company this is? Seems like good prices! Thanks!
  • Newbie to this site and loving it! I have been eating the paleo way since Oct 2011. I strive to eat paleo way 80% of the time during the month. This has been working great for me. I basically have 6 "cheat" days a month.

I to have been looking into the whole30 . Seems very interesting to me!
  • Hi Everyone,

Over the past few months I've slowly been switching to a Primal lifestyle. By my estimates I'm at around 90% only because I haven't quite quit my diet soda habit.

It's funny, giving up grains was much easier than I thought it would be. I did slowly wean my way off them, so perhaps that helped. I don't even want pizza anymore and pizza has always been a favorite food of mine. In fact, this weekend when I had a very non-Primal day my insides were NOT HAPPY with me and I had trouble sleeping! Not worth it!

I've noticed several things since I began moving toward the Primal diet, but mostly that I have maintained my weight while losing an inch off my hips, waist, ribcage, and bust. This is a big thing when you're down in the single digit pant sizes as that means one moves into the next size. I'm a pretty solid size 0 now. The muscles in my arms and legs are more defined and I seem to have lost some of the "jiggle" around my midsection.

I'm viewing this whole thing as a bit of a science experiment. I'm finding that my results are very interesting and I hope to continue eating this way to see how I turn out
  • Quote: I'm going to be starting the Whole30 before long and I was just reading through the thread. I was wondering if you can tell me what company this is? Seems like good prices! Thanks!

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/
  • Hello hello! I'm over on NF too! I just joined that site last night- username "GoGo"!

I've been contemplating the Paleo way for a while now and thought "what the heck?" I'll give it a try.

I don't eat bread anyway, or drink milk all that often (or eat cheese or yogurt much). The hardest thing to potentially give up will be the spaghetti and, of course, my old friends "Coca-Cola" and chocolate.

So far, I've done really well the past 2 days.

Yesterday's breakfast:
    3 scrambled eggs w/ a bit of goat cheese and some bell pepper mixed in
    glass of water
    banana

Snack: banana and some zucchini slices

Dinner: grilled rockfish w/ steamed asparagus and 1 can of Coke (I know, I know!)

Today I had:
    breakfast: 2 egg muffins (made with eggs, mushrooms, green onions, bell pepper, bit of cheese) and some zucchini slices with an apple and a tall glass of water.
    lunch: another egg muffin and a banana
    Dinner: ok I flubbed here, sort of. Mom made DELICIOUS cream of vegetable soup using skim milk. Potatoes, brussel sprouts, onion, carrots, cauliflower. Not too horrible. Can of Coke.
    Desert: Popcorn (so not Paleo).

I also did a 35 minute hike today, including a sprint and 10 reps of squats.
    Tomorrow I'm going swimming for a few hours.
  • Hi! I've been on Dr. Crantons elimination diet for 30 days now and am looking to switch into primal when I'm done (the diet ends Tuesday). I must say I have loved the way I've felt on this diet and have been able to loose a lot of weight- close to 12 lbs so far, without being hungry. I ate a lot of crap foods before.
  • It's almost wild salmon season and I'm looking forward to having some shipped in from Alaska soon. I am going to a butcher this week that's about 70 minutes from my house to load up on grass fed meats. My CSA started delivering veggies and eggs two weeks ago. And I've joined a group of friends to work on a communal organic garden this year. We're planting tomatoes in two weeks!

I'm going to eat well this summer!
  • Quote: breakfast: 2 egg muffins (made with eggs, mushrooms, green onions, bell pepper, bit of cheese) and some zucchini slices with an apple and a tall glass of water.
    Do you have a recipe for the muffins? One thing I really miss is just having a big muffin in the morning. Even before I was trying to move to Primal and just calorie counting I stopped eating them. Over 600 calories for one muffin? Ummmm no.

Quote: It's almost wild salmon season and I'm looking forward to having some shipped in from Alaska soon. I am going to a butcher this week that's about 70 minutes from my house to load up on grass fed meats. My CSA started delivering veggies and eggs two weeks ago. And I've joined a group of friends to work on a communal organic garden this year. We're planting tomatoes in two weeks!

I'm going to eat well this summer!
    You have me drooling! I love salmon and could honestly eat it all the time

I'm also going to start moving my butt and growing my own tomatoes. My family usually does that every year, along with basil and a few other veggies. One of my favorite things last year was going outside, picking tomatoes and basil and having a nice lunch
  • Hi there!

I am getting back on a paleo/primal way to eating. I lost about 25 lbs last year eating this way and I felt great. Unfortunately, i got off track around the holidays and haven't gotten back on, but I'm ready to now.

Hope to frequent this thread to give/get support.

Thanks,
    Ann
  • Quote: Do you have a recipe for the muffins? One thing I really miss is just having a big muffin in the morning. Even before I was trying to move to Primal and just calorie counting I stopped eating them. Over 600 calories for one muffin? Ummmm no.
    These are super-duper simple to make:

You'll need:
    As many eggs as you'd like (I used 6 and it made 8 muffins but if you don't add anything to them I think 6 makes around 6 muffins or so I've heard).
    Any veggies you like (see my previous post for what I used)
    A bit of cheese if you're primal, no cheese if you're paleo.
    Salt'n pepper to taste (I didn't add any).

Mix it all together in a pitcher or a big glass measuring bowl that has a lip (easier to pour).

Add just a dash of water and whisk some more.

Line muffin tins. Alternatively, you COULD line the tins with bacon but I don't eat bacon because a) it's too salty for me (my right ankle swells up like a balloon when I eat salt) and b) it's too processed for my liking, and pork is one of the most tampered with meats in terms of antibiotics and whatnot, from my understanding. But, you could like the muffin tins with bacon and throw them in the oven until they just barely cook into that shape.

Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup until about 3/4 full, give or take. They do puff up a bit when they cook.

Cook at 350F until eggs are cooked right through. Took me 40 minutes or so to get mine done but I used silicon liners and that may have something to do with it is.

Pop out of the pan and enjoy!