3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Committed to Paleo/Primal (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/248299-committed-paleo-primal.html)

tammylj 03-26-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow650 (Post 4216052)
I just found a company in Texas, that ships free in the US, it seems pretty reasonable to me, I'm going to order, and see how long it last me. This is what I ordered

10lbs Ground Beef, 90% lean: sm

2pks Kerrygold Butter Unsalted

3pks Smoked Ham Slices

1 Pastured Whole Chicken Roaster

2pks Boneless/Skinless Breasts

2pks Bone-In Thighs

2pks Drum Sticks

5lbs Ground Chicken

2pks Italian Chicken Sausage

1 Hawaii's Gold Macadamia Nut Oil

this was a little less than 300.00 it should last about a month and 1/2 I think. maybe more(Family of 4 - 1 adult, 3 kids)

I'm going to be starting the Whole30 before long and I was just reading through the thread. I was wondering if you can tell me what company this is? Seems like good prices! Thanks!

mindchange4me 03-26-2012 08:15 PM

Newbie to this site and loving it! I have been eating the paleo way since Oct 2011. I strive to eat paleo way 80% of the time during the month. This has been working great for me. I basically have 6 "cheat" days a month.

I to have been looking into the whole30 . Seems very interesting to me!

sontaikle 04-03-2012 09:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

Over the past few months I've slowly been switching to a Primal lifestyle. By my estimates I'm at around 90% only because I haven't quite quit my diet soda habit.

It's funny, giving up grains was much easier than I thought it would be. I did slowly wean my way off them, so perhaps that helped. I don't even want pizza anymore and pizza has always been a favorite food of mine. In fact, this weekend when I had a very non-Primal day my insides were NOT HAPPY with me and I had trouble sleeping! Not worth it!

I've noticed several things since I began moving toward the Primal diet, but mostly that I have maintained my weight while losing an inch off my hips, waist, ribcage, and bust. This is a big thing when you're down in the single digit pant sizes as that means one moves into the next size. I'm a pretty solid size 0 now. The muscles in my arms and legs are more defined and I seem to have lost some of the "jiggle" around my midsection.

I'm viewing this whole thing as a bit of a science experiment. I'm finding that my results are very interesting and I hope to continue eating this way to see how I turn out :)

willow650 04-06-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammylj (Post 4268382)
I'm going to be starting the Whole30 before long and I was just reading through the thread. I was wondering if you can tell me what company this is? Seems like good prices! Thanks!

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

Rainbowgirl 04-15-2012 05:02 AM

Hello hello! I'm over on NF too! I just joined that site last night- username "GoGo"!

I've been contemplating the Paleo way for a while now and thought "what the heck?" I'll give it a try.

I don't eat bread anyway, or drink milk all that often (or eat cheese or yogurt much). The hardest thing to potentially give up will be the spaghetti and, of course, my old friends "Coca-Cola" and chocolate.

So far, I've done really well the past 2 days.

Yesterday's breakfast:
3 scrambled eggs w/ a bit of goat cheese and some bell pepper mixed in
glass of water
banana

Snack: banana and some zucchini slices

Dinner: grilled rockfish w/ steamed asparagus and 1 can of Coke (I know, I know!)

Today I had:
breakfast: 2 egg muffins (made with eggs, mushrooms, green onions, bell pepper, bit of cheese) and some zucchini slices with an apple and a tall glass of water.
lunch: another egg muffin and a banana
Dinner: ok I flubbed here, sort of. Mom made DELICIOUS cream of vegetable soup using skim milk. Potatoes, brussel sprouts, onion, carrots, cauliflower. Not too horrible. Can of Coke.
Desert: Popcorn (so not Paleo).

I also did a 35 minute hike today, including a sprint and 10 reps of squats.
Tomorrow I'm going swimming for a few hours.

crazygurl61 04-15-2012 11:25 AM

Hi! I've been on Dr. Crantons elimination diet for 30 days now and am looking to switch into primal when I'm done (the diet ends Tuesday). I must say I have loved the way I've felt on this diet and have been able to loose a lot of weight- close to 12 lbs so far, without being hungry. I ate a lot of crap foods before.

geoblewis 04-15-2012 12:57 PM

It's almost wild salmon season and I'm looking forward to having some shipped in from Alaska soon. I am going to a butcher this week that's about 70 minutes from my house to load up on grass fed meats. My CSA started delivering veggies and eggs two weeks ago. And I've joined a group of friends to work on a communal organic garden this year. We're planting tomatoes in two weeks!

I'm going to eat well this summer!

sontaikle 04-15-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl (Post 4294076)
breakfast: 2 egg muffins (made with eggs, mushrooms, green onions, bell pepper, bit of cheese) and some zucchini slices with an apple and a tall glass of water.

Do you have a recipe for the muffins? One thing I really miss is just having a big muffin in the morning. Even before I was trying to move to Primal and just calorie counting I stopped eating them. Over 600 calories for one muffin? Ummmm no. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4294457)
It's almost wild salmon season and I'm looking forward to having some shipped in from Alaska soon. I am going to a butcher this week that's about 70 minutes from my house to load up on grass fed meats. My CSA started delivering veggies and eggs two weeks ago. And I've joined a group of friends to work on a communal organic garden this year. We're planting tomatoes in two weeks!

I'm going to eat well this summer!

You have me drooling! I love salmon and could honestly eat it all the time :)

I'm also going to start moving my butt and growing my own tomatoes. My family usually does that every year, along with basil and a few other veggies. One of my favorite things last year was going outside, picking tomatoes and basil and having a nice lunch :)

Ann72 04-18-2012 02:24 PM

Hi there!

I am getting back on a paleo/primal way to eating. I lost about 25 lbs last year eating this way and I felt great. Unfortunately, i got off track around the holidays and haven't gotten back on, but I'm ready to now.

Hope to frequent this thread to give/get support.

Thanks,
Ann

Rainbowgirl 04-18-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4294477)
Do you have a recipe for the muffins? One thing I really miss is just having a big muffin in the morning. Even before I was trying to move to Primal and just calorie counting I stopped eating them. Over 600 calories for one muffin? Ummmm no. :lol:

These are super-duper simple to make:

You'll need:
As many eggs as you'd like (I used 6 and it made 8 muffins but if you don't add anything to them I think 6 makes around 6 muffins or so I've heard).
Any veggies you like (see my previous post for what I used)
A bit of cheese if you're primal, no cheese if you're paleo.
Salt'n pepper to taste (I didn't add any).

Mix it all together in a pitcher or a big glass measuring bowl that has a lip (easier to pour).

Add just a dash of water and whisk some more.

Line muffin tins. Alternatively, you COULD line the tins with bacon but I don't eat bacon because a) it's too salty for me (my right ankle swells up like a balloon when I eat salt) and b) it's too processed for my liking, and pork is one of the most tampered with meats in terms of antibiotics and whatnot, from my understanding. But, you could like the muffin tins with bacon and throw them in the oven until they just barely cook into that shape.

Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup until about 3/4 full, give or take. They do puff up a bit when they cook.

Cook at 350F until eggs are cooked right through. Took me 40 minutes or so to get mine done but I used silicon liners and that may have something to do with it is.

Pop out of the pan and enjoy! :D

thistoo 04-19-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl (Post 4299208)
Alternatively, you COULD line the tins with bacon

I use prosciutto. Also too salty for you, Rainbowgirl, but I think it adds a nice flavor. Then I slice up an avocado and divide it among the cups, crack an egg in each one, and bake at 375 for 18 minutes. I spray the muffin tin really well first to keep the egg from sticking.

FattyFatFat 05-02-2012 03:45 AM

I have never heard of this, but reading some of the post makes me a bit more curious. I'm going to do a bit of research, and who knows what might happen from there.

Eruanna 05-06-2012 02:06 AM

I'm about to partake in a '6-week Primal Challenge' through the Crossfit gym I go to. I've been reading up about it and starting to make a few changes, so for me this challenge has come up at the right time.

It starts in a week so I'm reading up, searching for recipies, and getting the cupboards organised!

BerkshireGrl 07-12-2012 08:05 AM

How you all doing? :wave:

I just finished what I like to call my cowboy breakfast of coffee, eggs and bacon... having a tough week, and getting back on track today! I'm determined to get out of the 230s! :sumo:

LiloLink 07-12-2012 05:42 PM

Ahh, I'm so excited that there's a Paleo/Primal thread! :) I've lost 34 pounds so far this year eating this way and have 75+ pounds to go. I would love to help revive this thread a bit and keep up with you all!

pgun3 07-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiloLink (Post 4403267)
Ahh, I'm so excited that there's a Paleo/Primal thread! :) I've lost 34 pounds so far this year eating this way and have 75+ pounds to go. I would love to help revive this thread a bit and keep up with you all!

how long have you been working with Paleo?
thanks
Penny

paulny 11-01-2012 10:31 AM

Does anyone have links to "cheap" online places to order Paleo friendly meats? Thanks

dancerindenver 11-01-2012 10:50 AM

Sorry - don't know of any cheap online offers. I have noticed though that Costco is carrying more paleo/primal friendly products - including grass-fed beef, kerrygold butter and flaxmeal.

I've been on primal for around two months and have lost 14lbs so far. I've found that no wheat/minimal starches has made my relationship with food so much calmer. Minimal cravings and I stop eating after a reasonable portion size. I used to be able to eat the whole bag of chips, etc. Anyone else find this to be true? I haven't cheated at all - but that may be because the occasional glass of red wine, piece of dark chocolate or small potato with butter and sour cream is allowed.

Would love to see if there are others who are interested in getting this thread active again. Thanks, paulny, for making it show up on the new posts lists! ;)

geoblewis 11-01-2012 03:55 PM

The food I source from the Internet is not cheap. I do the Costco thing too. At my local supermarkets and Trader Joe's they are now carrying grass fed beef and bison, as well as lamb. I can also get wild seafood in season there. I get my eggs from a local CSA farmer who is actually my client and I know his chickens are grass-fed and augmented with feed that is non-GMO and soy-free. Poultry is harder to source for me since I am very sensitive to soy and poultry don't have those lovely multiple stomachs like cows do to digest the soy more effectively. Just because it says vegetarian-fed doesn't mean it's soy-free.

So, from me as well, thanks for bringing this thread back. I've been eating about 80% Paleo but really want to push myself a bit more. That 20% has been from poor choices at weak moments. Not doing myself any favors!

I was eating very low carb, plus Paleo, plus Intermittent Fasting. Somewhere in there I crashed and burned (lack of sleep didn't help either). For now, I've increased my carbs, but only with vegetables and a few servings of berries. I also decided I was eating too much protein. Hoping the new mix will get me feeling more energy soon. Tired of feeling tired all the time.

dancerindenver 11-02-2012 01:33 PM

Georgia - do you use coconut oil at all? I've just started and I think it might be helping me keep my blood sugar steady. I haven't tried IF yet - I don't think it's for me right now - if I get too hungry, I might be tempted to go off plan.

Down another pound today - woohoo!

I know there have to be more of us paleo/primal folks out there - you can't all be over at mark's daily apple and paleohacks, right? Would love to find others on the same WOE.

geoblewis 11-02-2012 02:24 PM

Oh yes, coconut oil, coconut butter, and I keep coconut chunks in the freezers too. I mix that with broken French dark chocolate...I miss my dark chocolate Bounty bars, but those really tastes awesome to me now. I actually had a bite of a Bounty bar on Halloween but turned it away because it was too sweet.

I put a spoonful of coconut cream in my hot tea these days. I've been really regular since I started doing that and don't need to take psyllium any longer.

dancerindenver 11-02-2012 02:55 PM

Georgia -
I saw on your blog that you have tested your blood sugar after different food combos. I just ordered a blood glucose meter (I'm not diabetic) so I can see what makes me spike and what doesn't. I'm thinking keeping my blood glucose low and steady is what drives weight loss. Does that agree with your findings at all? The meter hasn't arrived yet - curious to see what I find out....

geoblewis 11-02-2012 03:37 PM

Yes, for me, all grains and legumes, fruit and all sweet things spike my blood sugar. As does eating too much protein, especially at night before bed (it spikes my blood sugar at around 4 a.m. the next morning). But it's like that for me because my pancreas is malfunctioning. I wasn't always like this, even when I weighed 50 lbs more than I do now. My pancreas has been like this since the first time I got pregnant.

If you're not diabetic or insulin resistant, then you will very likely find that the same sorts of carby foods don't seem to affect you any differently than other non-carby foods. But if, after you've eaten something like a plate of pasta, your blood sugar pops up over 120 or even 100, you may already be taxing your pancreas. At some point, every time the blood sugar pops up too high (>140), it kills off beta cells in your pancreas. And that's not good. So keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range for as long as possible is important.

I'd love to hear about your results. Please share them, if you care to.

dancerindenver 11-03-2012 09:54 AM

I will absolutely share my results, once the stuff arrives. From what I've read, grains and certain fruits (less so with berries and apples), tend to spike everyone's blood glucose. I for some reason love apple slices with natural peanut butter and am curious if I can get away with that for a snack without a huge (weight-gain-inducing) spike - we'll see!

Do you avoid dairy? I'm still eating greek yogurt, having whole milk in my tea in the morning, and eating 1-2oz of cheese daily. That's my next thing to leave out if I hit a plateau.

Hope you're having a good day....

geoblewis 11-03-2012 12:36 PM

Not avoiding all dairy. Still eating the full fat Greek yogurt, labneh (strained yogurt), and heavy cream. A couple ounces of cheese per day. A dollop of the labneh on a baked sweet potato covers a lot of cravings for me!

Half of a tart Pippin or Granny Smith apple with a bit of creamy blue cheese and some walnut bits before bed...yum!

Radiojane 11-04-2012 03:37 PM

I went full primal/paleo but the one thing I couldn't give up (and I was a carb addict galore), was cheese. I keep mini babybels for snacks and melt cheese on my chicken. Weight is still coming off, so I'm going to keep "cheating". I'm lucky to have farmers in my family, so I have a freezer full of grass fed beef.

Only issue I have is I seem to require more sleep. My energy levels are steady through the day, but I'm averaging 10 hours a night instead of my usual 8

dancerindenver 11-05-2012 03:58 PM

Jane - right there with you on cheese! If I'm understanding things correctly, primal allows some dairy and paleo does not so I'm more primal than paleo. I haven't had that specific sleep issue but I have noticed that the amount of sleep I need has fluctuated a lot over the years. I wonder if it will be a passing phase for you or if it's permanent.

Georgia - my favorite is honeycrisp apple slices and extra sharp cheddar. Apple slices make good cracker substitutes, don't they?

Hey - have you guys tried Mary's Gone Crackers flax crackers? They are my go to when I want a grain substitute although I'm careful with portion control to make sure my carb grams are in the 50-70g/day range.

So, I ended up skipping some meals this weekend so I think it was my first experience with Intermittent Fasting. I don't think it will be something I'll make part of my weekly routine but maybe to mix things up occasionally and bust through a plateau, I'll give it a try. I ended up losing something like 3lbs between fri and mon (which is a lot for me) - I'll be curious to see if on this program, it stays off.

I've taken the blood glucose monitor out of the box but haven't gotten brave enough to try it. Will try to tomorrow morning when I first wake up.

Hope you're having fun out there....

wendyland 11-05-2012 08:18 PM

I'm back to doing paleo. Actually, it's been two steps forward one step back all year. I'm having a bunch of odd neurological symptoms, so I'm going to a stricter diet to help. I went to the doctor today and she ordered a bunch of tests and an MRI this week. I'll be so glad to have answers.

The biggest issue I have with eating paleo is when we go to social events. LIke my nephew's doing a dinner theater for his highschool drama club. I don't want to be the oddball out hardly eating anything.

geoblewis 11-05-2012 08:35 PM

Wendy, so sorry you're struggling with health issues. Hope answers can be found. For you. . I tend to struggles wiith diet when health issues cause me stress.

As for social events, I say embrace the oddball! I've been known to pack along my dinner if I knew my needs wouldn't be met. Or I ate earlier and just picked at something at the event. Tonight I'm going to a football banquet and I imagine it'll be a carb fest. I have chicken and kale waiting for me at home. I can pick at a naked saalad there.

ArmyWife10 11-05-2012 09:04 PM

Hi all! So I'm not really new to paleo, I've been really dancing around it for at least 6 months but as the pounds keep coming on and my husband's has been coming off (jerk =p) I think it's time to give in. He's on training right now and my goal is the day he gets back to at least be used to 100% gluten free for a week. I know I can do it but I'm addicted to sweets and THATS the hardest part.

Also do any of you regularly eat homemade probiotic foods? I'm too grossed out to try sauerkraut but I'm thinking if I make it myself maybe it wont be so bad?

dancerindenver 11-05-2012 10:04 PM

Hey ladies!

I knew there must be more primal/paleo folks out there - glad we're finding each other.

Wendy - sorry to hear about your troubles. This primal way of eating has sorted out some recurring headaches for me - I hope you are able to find as simple a solution for your challenges. I agree with Georgia - I would have an on plan snack before an event and have a bag of raw almonds and some cheese sticks (or jerky if you don't do dairy) in my purse just in case.

Georgia - how is your day going? Are you cooking anything tasty this week? I need some new inspiration...

Armywife - Good luck! I found that cutting out grains and sugar completely cold turkey made my cravings go away and lowered my appetite significantly. YMMV, of course! ;) No good info here on homemade probiotics - I eat storebought greek yogurt, that's about it.

Hope you all are having a nice evening....

geoblewis 11-05-2012 11:26 PM

Dancer, I've been sick since Thursday, but I did thaw some veal shanks and make a bone broth for myself yesterday. Added celery, carrots, leeks and garlic, plus some beef stew meat. It is yummy! I love the cooler weather so I can make soups. Going to pick up soups bones from a butcher next week. All grassfed animals.

ArmtWife, I haven't always been a fan of saurkraut. Never have made any probiotic foods, I do love a spicy kim chee and have bought some at Whole Foods. Love it on hot dogs! But I don't eat enough of them to make the work worth it. I'll have to explore this more.

What kind of sweets do you love? I only like chocolate, so I go ahead and have the dark kind and pair it with raw almonds or shredded coconut. I will have a problem during the holidaze. Bourbon pecan pie makes my knees quiver. I will let myself have one piece. Or one pie. I don't know which yet.

dancerindenver 11-07-2012 12:47 PM

Had the yummiest primal dinner last night - pot roast from costco, sauteed mushrooms, a small boiled potato with butter and sour cream and a huge salad with avocado and sliced almonds. Sometimes I can't believe what I get to eat on this plan!!

Georgia - your soup sounds great - I'm on that kind of a kick too. I slow cook chicken to make it easier to shred and then put it in all kinds of soups.

Just started taking chromium supplements to help keep my blood sugar nice and steady - anyone else tried that?

mtnsun4 11-12-2012 08:14 PM

I am so happy to have found others that are on the Paleo diet. I have been debating if this is a good plan for me to follow and with everything I have researched, as well as my health issues, this may be the way for me to go!

I was on Ideal Protein earlier this year and lost 40lbs. I ended up going on a cruise, and made some not so great food choices, and gained 15 back. This fall, I ended up having some major health issues and was on IV steroids. Hence, I am back to my original weight before starting Ideal Protein.

I would prefer not to go back to shakes, and packaged protein food. It seems much more natural (for me) to go the Paleo diet direction. I am going to slowly incorporate exercise into my plan. Two and a half months ago I couldn't walk...so I need to ensure I do this slowly.

Any insight into everyone's experiences would help! THanks.

dancerindenver 11-12-2012 09:08 PM

mtnsun - hello and welcome! I've definitely had some major health benefits so far - eating primal (a form of paleo that allows dairy, roughly) has made my persistent headaches go away completely. I hope you see similar benefits! From my perspective, this way of eating is easier to adapt to real life - restaurants and events like your cruise. And since gluten free is getting so common, I think it will just get easier over time. I found a lot of info on a website called marksdailyapple (dot) com. You might find it helpful...

Let us know what you decide!

dancerindenver 11-21-2012 10:06 AM

Howdy all! Anyone else planning to stick to primal/paleo food only at thanksgiving? I'm thinking that I feel so much better on this way of eating that no pie or roll is going to get me off track. Curious to hear how you feel...

geoblewis 11-21-2012 11:01 AM

I'm sticking to the plan over the holidaze. I bought grass-fed turkey. I've got lots of veg. For dessert, I plan to make a pumpkin mousse, with coconut cream and organic evaporated cane juice. Same sort of plan for the rest of the season. If I'm invited to parties, I'll bring stuff I will eat.

Like you, Dancer, it feels too good to eat this way just to mess it up for a choice that will only put me off track for weeks. I don't plan to overeat either. Healthy-sized portions too.

I'll over-indulge on playing board games and watching Elf for the millionth time with my kids!

wendyland 11-22-2012 09:06 AM

Ooh! I want to go to Georgia's house. That sounds great. I'm going to visit relatives today. I plan on staying away from grains but may have a little sugar and dairy. Maybe some pumpkin pie minus the crust. That's my favorite.

mtnsun4 11-22-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancerindenver (Post 4527047)
mtnsun - hello and welcome! I've definitely had some major health benefits so far - eating primal (a form of paleo that allows dairy, roughly) has made my persistent headaches go away completely. I hope you see similar benefits! From my perspective, this way of eating is easier to adapt to real life - restaurants and events like your cruise. And since gluten free is getting so common, I think it will just get easier over time. I found a lot of info on a website called marksdailyapple (dot) com. You might find it helpful...

Let us know what you decide!

Thanks for the welcome! I have been going through some health issues and was diagnosed last week with fibromyalgia. :( In reading about the Paleo diet, it explains how it can help with autoimmune diseases/disorders. Thanks for the website. I will check it out today! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Radiojane 11-22-2012 01:18 PM

I'm amazed at what cleaning up diet did for my boyfriend. He had painful, festering boils and sores on his thighs and back for years, and all the doctors would tell him was to shower more. 3 months in to primal diet,and his skin is clear!

I do it for weight loss, but I feel so much better than I ever had!