3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Just started low carb; is it normal to feel this good? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/245926-just-started-low-carb%3B-normal-feel-good.html)

graterandy 10-26-2011 11:24 AM

Just started low carb; is it normal to feel this good?

I'm just doing low carb (20% or less of daily calories) for this week because it's a week off from training and cardio. This is the third day. Physically I feel a little weaker, but mentally I feel aweeeesome, alert, focused, and good about myself. I'm not even having cravings! Is this supposed to happen? All the books said the first few days of low carb are rough and unpleasant but it's been great.

Soo should I expect some sort of horrible carb crash?

4myloves 10-26-2011 12:20 PM

Some people go through terrible carb withdrawals, but I never really did. I still feel great w/low carb and I've been doing it since July 25th. There are lots on here who've been at it a LOT longer than that!!

The worst experience (for me) is when I have a "cheat" day and eat a lot of carbs--the next day I have "carb hangover," headache, achy stomach, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

Rosinante 10-26-2011 12:34 PM

I don't get carb withdrawal either except, like 4myself, I do get carb hangovers if I give up and binge out.

What I have had in the past, though, is weakness and tiredness round about day 3, which is very hard to push through. In fact, last time I stuck with feeling absolutely dire for several weeks, hoping it would wear off. It didn't.
This time, I'm trying Dukan, and the daily oatbran allowance seems to be helping with that, I'm feeling good!

Good luck!

MariaMaria 10-26-2011 05:31 PM

Could the week off from training have anything to do with feeling way up?

graterandy 10-28-2011 05:18 AM

Day five now. Still feeling fine! I don't think lack of exercise can cause an upward mood swing, I mean, I'm not getting my endorphins... And while I don't particularly love training, I don't hate it either, so I don't think I'm subconciously celebrating.

Sunshine73 10-28-2011 02:49 PM

My first few weeks doing low carb were pretty crappy but I know that's not true for everyone. Now I just generally have more energy. I'd say if you haven't experienced the "crash" yet, you're probably pretty good to go. :)

ELBS717 11-22-2011 10:07 PM

When I go off carbs, the first day is neutral, the second-third days I am lethargic, then after that I feel FANTASTIC.
Hope it keeps up!

geoblewis 12-11-2011 04:37 PM

It could be that you eliminated a carb that was treating you badly before. You could have a sensitivity to a specific carb. I'm eating a Paleolithic diet and have eliminated grains, legumes and dairy as well as soy (I already knew I was sensitive to this) and all processed foods. I feel really amazing now. I felt pretty great when I cut soy from my diet, but when I got rid of grains, I stopped getting bronchitis. When I got rid of dairy, I stopped feeling knots in my stomach after eating.

I don't have a will of steel, so during this holiday time, I've slipped back into some old food patterns. Was rewarded with some sluggishness, foggy-thinking, a little wheezing and knots in my stomach. Plus, joints started feeling achy again. And a six-pound gain!

Lesson learned and I'm back to my Paleo-choices!

medic4life 01-02-2012 06:18 PM

I never felt bad in any way after cutting out the carbs but I did it slowly. I noticed by eating all the bad stuff at Christmas that I had a hard time paying attention and remembering things. I wasn't sleeping good either but it's getting better. No more mood swings and pms is gone monthly now. tmi I know. I'm still quite bloated but it's going to get better now that I'm eating better. I never had that low from cutting out carbs just a high really, can't wait to add exercise for the endorphins now.
Robin

ikiryo 02-12-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4myloves (Post 4085688)
Some people go through terrible carb withdrawals, but I never really did. I still feel great w/low carb and I've been doing it since July 25th. There are lots on here who've been at it a LOT longer than that!!

The worst experience (for me) is when I have a "cheat" day and eat a lot of carbs--the next day I have "carb hangover," headache, achy stomach, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

So -that- is what I'm experiencing today! I'm glad I read this. I have felt horrible today. I had my first 'cheat day' on this under 30g carb a day low-carb diet. I had pizza, and alcohol. x_x I thought, one meal, not even a carb loading day, so what damage can it do right? I feel brainfoggy worse than the initial 2-day 'carb-flu' and it feels like theres a weird film over my face. Headache.. feel tired.

ikiryo 02-12-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELBS717 (Post 4117055)
When I go off carbs, the first day is neutral, the second-third days I am lethargic, then after that I feel FANTASTIC.
Hope it keeps up!

It was about the third day for me, when I began to feel pretty good.

sevencallmemom 02-12-2012 12:54 AM

Wow I felt like crap for probably 5 days and it wasn't until probably 2 wks in that I started really feeling good.

And if I have a cheat day I'm feeling it for DAYS. At least knowing that the hangover is coming keeps me from cheating much. ;) It's just not worth feeling so awful...mostly...LOL

thistoo 02-13-2012 06:47 AM

I get a little weakness at first as well, but never the full-on 'carb flu' with the achiness and misery. Cravings are pretty much gone right away and I always feel much more alert and rested when I'm off carbs. Sounds like you're having a similar reaction.

Just make sure you're getting lots of good quality protein and the weakness will go away as well. I work out twice a day (P90X + added cardio) while eating this way and don't have any problems.

lcard 02-14-2012 12:18 AM

I just started a low/no carb diet and although I feel better...I miss Bread! WAHHH! I keep telling myself...nothing tastes as good as being skinny and healthy is going to feel!! :)

thistoo 02-14-2012 06:51 AM

You learn to live without bread, lcard. I'm not going to pretend it's easy for everyone, but it does get easier.