No Carbs and HIIT Exercise?

• I have been sticking to the Paleo type of diet now for over a month. I have seen no change in the scale, which has gotten me out exercising more and more. However, I am finding that when I exercise at a high intensity level (cardio wise) that I run out of gas pretty quickly and then when I am done, I almost feel as though I am ready to pass out of faint. This lasts a good half an hour after I am done, even with a good cool down phase.
    Any one else experience this?
  • Your glycogen stores are gone due to low-carbing. You know how marathon runners hit a "wall" in long runs? Well you are hitting that wall very early on - the same thing happens to you both. Runners carb up before long runs but they DO eventually run out of glycogen. You've run out of yours because your body is using it faster than you replace it.

I'm not too familiar with Paleo - can you have fruit or other outright carbs? If so, I'd have something carby 30 mins before a workout so you have something to burn through. You can look up the "targeted ketogenic diet" (TKD) for more information on this idea.
  • Hey, I think that would help me. I have hypoglycemic episodes when I exercise on low carb - well, and sometimes without low carb. I knew I should eat carbs right before and it wouldn't happen or would be lessened. Now, I know the science and ratios for it! Thanks!