Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Ilene: Ghee - very time consuming, very simple. Put cold butter in a wide skillet. Apply low (I used a setting of 2 on my burner knob - and upped to 3 for awhile) heat. Forget about it. Stir it. Forget about it. Foam forms on top. Leave it. Go clean the bathroom. Stir the ghee. Become impatient, and turn up heat to 3. Keep stirring. Watch an entire movie. Turn back to 2 for fear of burning it. Stir Ghee. Do nails. Stir ghee. Notice foam going away. Check recipe. Stir ghee. Cook supper on other burners. Stir ghee. Eat supper. Return to notice small brown bits on bottom of ghee pan. Foam is thinner. Check recipe. OK, good. Stir ghee. Fall asleep on couch. OOPS> Stir ghee. Once the bits at bottom turn a dk brown, remove from heat. Pour through a coffee filter tucked in a wide bottom funnel into a glass jar. Taste ghee - MMMMMM. Go to bed.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #47  

OK, seriously. Today's been good. Had a nice breakfast of eggs, sausage, clementine, banana, coffee. I was HIGHLY disappointed at work for lunch. Spaghetti with meat sauce or CHICKEN LIVERS. ack. Wheat or liver. ACK!!! So I went salad bar - boo. No ham or other meat on bar. Loaded up with egg, cheese, sunflower seeds and fake bacon bits. Still I kept on keeping on. Then afternoon got really hungry - can you believe it - I practically had a vegetarian lunch afterall. So, I drank a V8 I keep for back up. Wasn't enough. Ate a lara bar - finally got satisfied a little. Came home, whipped up cheeseburger inabowl. (Basically crumble the beef, and put it in bowl, top with cheese, then I grilled onions for on top of that, then topped with lettuce, tomato, pickle relish, mayo, and mustard. YUMMO! BAMMO! I'm all good again. Then had a few bites of cottage cheese plus hot tea at bedtime (about now). I AM BACK to my plan. Good thing, double meds started today. poo. C'mon plateau!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #48  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Ugh. I feel sick to my stomach literally.
Today so far was horrible. I let myself get very hungry and then ate everything in sight. One protein bar became 2 . That would have been fine except instead of having a big drink afterward, I finished d's sweet and salty granola bar, about a quarter of it. Then eating sugar I started thinking about what I could binge on... Cut a croissant, toasted it and slathered it with butter- omg dh was right- insanely good. Now I am stuffed ((

Ah well right back on plan.. I still ate way less carbs than most people do by lunch!

After being off carbs they seem to be so toxic for me now when I eat them...
That is good I guess, now nausea you made your point.. Go away now!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #49  

Natalie: Oh NO! Those croissants can be pure evil buggers. Go away nausea, you shall torture poor natalie NO MORE! Get behind me croissants.....

Today: Had a pretty good food day, slightly stressful work day. Bkfs: bacon, eggs with cheese, avocado, coffee. Lunch: sausage with kraut, few bites of black eyed peas, big pile of green beans. Left most of kraut and beans on plate - just didn't want them. Supper: meeting food (warning evil ahead) 3 inches of a sub sandwich (loaded with veg, meat, cheese) plus mayo, small handful chips, cupcake. CRUD. How'd cupcake get in there. Well they were shamrock cupcakes and the lady next to me needed another ring for her grandkiddies. It's a good excuse, right? And now, for a few cashews with hot tea. I would consider my supper moderate except for that darned cupcake - pure sugar saboteur! Satan's sweeties! Frosted crack cakes. Anybody wanna help me out here? Anyway, other than a cupcake that jumped into my hand, and a few bites of bread/chips, it's been good.

Good night grokpeeps!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #50  

Good Morning!

Natalia -- I too have a problem with the lowish carb protein bars. One never seems to be enough. I've banished them yet AGAIN from my shopping list and cupboards.

Kel: Cupcakes jumping into your hand and mouth? Pure possession by evil forces. Only possible explanation. Seriously Dr. Kurt Harris of PaNu posted about the social value of turning down carb-y treats, provocatively entitled Smoking Candy Cigarettes.

I've had 3 good days of primal/paleo. It was time to get back to what actually works. I'm trying to get sufficient protein, targeting a minimum of 100 g/day. For other data nerds, i.e. those who like to track their macronutrients, I'm really liking my fitness pal dot com.

At Mark's daily apple forum, I came across a recipe for an almond or flax meal based quick bread. It's easy-peasy, and super quick -- less than 2 minutes quick! I'll post the link in the recipe thread and link to the original in the MDA forum.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Heading to Ruby Tuesday's, ladies. Hmm... bacon cheeseburger sans bun? Yep, that might be the ticket. Not grassfed, but it sure sounds good right now.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #52  

Today sucked. Surprised by being put into patient care again. Guess what. I wasn't in scrubs today. Had to borrow surgery scrub top. Guess what. It doesn't fit and I was too embarrassed to ask for a mens size to get a bigger one. They are a different color and so you can tell the mens from womens and I was too embarrassed to ask for bigger. I'm usually pretty size apathetic. Don't care who knows, don't care what the number actually is. But somehow today, I got intimidated by it.

Did fair on food. When I say fair I mean I wasn't perfect, but it wasn't a hog trough special either. I was on primal track except for one small granola bar (which was delicious) and one wheat roll. I worked an 11 hr day, after planning to go home early so wasn't as prepared food wise. Something's gotta give with our staffing issues! I want to get it back together (personally) and all I get to do is sleep and work. C'mon man!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #53  

I am having such a bad day! Been positively horrible since the croissant incident.I am in so much pain too; called my doc for pain pills and no ones calling back
I spent hours working on shamrock cookies for ds's class today. Rollout sugar cookies with colorflow frosting. They look awesome! Even drove c to school do the cookies wouldn't be ruined by the timetable to school- little one wailed the whole way there and back. Go to pickhim up this afternoon and he tells me NEVER make cookies for his class again.. Tells me everyone hated them. Wanted to strangle him. Come and find out. Everyone loved them but he had to pass them out himself and rather than tell the teacher he didn't want to (social anxiety ) he takes it out on me.. I am so sick of not being appreciated.. He doesn't want a donut on the way home and melts down in the drive thru bc I stop anyway ... Sigh!!then there's parent teacher tonight and the SPA after (mAssage!!)
So I had about 5000 frosted cookies and had told myself after I could have an iced capp I would be right back on plan. Am hAving it now and feel great about bouncing right back on Plan- so at least there's that!

Do you think I should weigh tomorrow? Or wait a few days ? I know I'll be retaining wTer from all the carbs.

I have so much laundry to do and unload dishwasher -- ugh! I don't feel like it!!

2 lc cookbooks came todAy- one on slow cookers that looks lame, and Dana carpenters 1000 lc favorites. Lots of that looks good - has anyone tried her stuff?

I better get my a in gear- just wanted to check in and make myself accountable--- I will post individual replies later, just in a really really bad mood

Tara
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #54  

Sounds like a few people are having a couple of bad days I hope it gets better for you quick!

Monday marked my first week on the paleo diet so I decided to do some research about workouts/exercise that might complement the diet. Has anyone tried Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness? I started on Monday and so far so good! I really like it. You don't have to go to a gym and the best part is resistance training is only 2 days per week and interval training (cardio) is only one day per week. What really makes the resistance training great is that there are 9 levels and you can gradually work your way up.

If anyone is interested in attempting it, I made a spreadsheet I could pass on that enables you to keep track of your daily progress (date, reps, etc.).
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Want to know more about the Taubes vs. Oz tv show from Gary Taubes' perspective? I found a free podcast on iTunes: Livin' La Vida Low Carb. It's the latest show. Just listening now.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #56  

Natalie: Dana Carpender is my HERO. Ok, well, not my hero per se, but she is fabulous. You'll find lots of good things in there.

Paleo: I'd love to see your spreadsheet. I've been thinking I should start some primalcise soon. Also, way to go - 1 week is a great start.

OK, so today I was moderate again. Totally primal with the exception of a biscuit, 1 cookie with punch (trust me, my boss' boss handed it to me, I nibbled and sipped politely as they were for her party), and a slice of bread at supper (it was that buttery texas toast stuff). OH, and breaded okra - was so good. Maybe it's easier to post my bad so I can work on shaving it back off. Tomorrow I'll cut it back farther. So, today that was 5. Tomorrow 4 or less.

I've had a debate going. Posting on here is good therapy for me. I keep track a little more, focus more on my choices and feel like I know some of you. However, I'm not going all out like some of you are. I'm not there right now because of meds, losing isn't in the cards right now. Maintaining (although that is at a weight that would shock most to be acceptable) is a huge thing for me. I need you guys, but I sometimes feel like (no, not because of you) that I'm not quite in the same boat with you. My goals are a little different. I hope one day to get back to hit it and get it mode, but for now I'm not. I would be AFRAID to know where I'd be on my meds without this WOE though. Geez louise! I shot up 20 lbs since August and only plateaued by starting primal. Now I'm maintaining, and that's on a double med dose I just started last month.

Anyway, maybe I'll start some workin' out primalcize soon. (Is that like Jazzercize with jungle drums?)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,

Just a fly by before work. I cooked another crockpot chicken yesterday --- soooo good! So, lunch is packed, and besides being exhausted (still), I plan to have a good day. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can get some blasted sleep (very tired of my stressful job!!! it's not very primal).

Good luck to all with your various challenges today! I hope to get caught up and caught it up on the thread this weekend.

Happy Primal/Paleo Friday, girls!!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #58  

Walking2lose: Apparently you can't upload .xls files in this forum. If you want to send your email I could send it that way. You definitely have to read Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness Manual. It tells you exactly what to do. It's free at marksdailyapple.com.

I am feeling great now! Totally over that carb flu I initially had. So far I'm down 6lbs. My official 2 week weigh-in is on Monday and I'm not dreading it - for the first time ever!!

I have been totally paleo, no grains, no sugar, just lean meats/fish/seafood, veggies, fruits, nuts and green tea. It's crazy but it's been really easy. There is a tub of edy's (ok 2 tubs) in the freezer and I baked 2 dozen cupcakes for a St. Paddy's day party (and was surrounded by goodies at the party) and I just have no desire to have any of it! Dare I say it but my sweet tooth is not so sweet on sweets anymore. Is that normal? I thought by now I would be dying for something sugary but it is the complete opposite.

My body is also thanking me as well. My lupus symptoms have diminished. I have only had slight pain in my ankles towards the end of the evening. Nothing in the morning. It usually takes me a little while to get up in the mornings because my joints are incredibly stiff and painful (I usually can't even lift my baby out of her crib in the morning) but over the past week, I've had no pain. This is quite unbelievable to me!! I've been in pain for so long and in under 2 weeks....I'm quite beside myself! All this and no steroids, this is so huge!

I'm knocking on wood. I've tried everything to control my symptoms through diet so I can get off my meds. I was vegan for 7 months and that reduced symptoms but not like this. I really think there must be something about grains and me that don't mix.

Ok, off to play Cinderella with my 3 year old.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #59  

Hi girls!

In a lot of pain again today. Gastro office did not call back.. I wonder if it's bc the doctor is going to call personally later or maybe he's off. But it makes me sick that they make you suffer worse than an animal under the guise of potential addiction. Give me a break! I am in so much pain and they should be willing to treat it!!

Going lc today! I'm waiting for the pain pill to kick
In then will be making eggs and bacon... No school today for ds due to parent teacher and it's raining cats and dogs out there! At least it's not snowing..if it calms down later I might go to Costco with the kids. I need Epsom salts and could stock up a bit on protein and veg. We didn't get the groceries yesterday like we usually do bc of parent teacher and my massage (which was awesome btw) or maybe Superstore- we're out of water , the big ones.

Looked thru Dana carpenters book and it looks interesting. I still haven't tried cauli rice or fauxtatoes yet and I really should.
And in the other book I found a yummy looking crockpot recipe that's got chicken cubes, cauli and cheese. It sounds yum..

Kel- ikwym about the drugs! The one you're on, I think it's not recommended for more than six consecutive cycles so there's solace in that.

The other thing , I don't want to come across as a witch!! And I want to say that on drugs that increase your appetite and make you gain normally, maintaining is a Huge victory!! But it's still possible to lose with almost any drug, including steroids, if one is low enough on the carbs. It's certainly not for everyone... But sometimes it's the few grains that cause us up perpetually crave, want more, and have a greater propensity to put on weight..I'm on a few drugs that are certainly a reason that weight loss is slow and challenging, but since I might be on them for years or forever, j don't want to wait that long, Kwim?

I reiterate that I truly believe that maintaing is a victory to celebrate that most people can't do (even without being on meds) but I wanted to post this to lyk that it IS possible- if you didn't want to wait.

Paleo- that spreadsheet sounds interesting !! I should really get far more exercise than I do- it's ridiculous ! I know it's an excuse, but with the butt issues I an so sore the next day it's almost conditioning me to be a lazy blob
Maybe I should just tone my arms, lol

Sidenote- if you ever see a strange word out of context I am usually typing on my itouch and it subs words. I hate it but I hate waiting for my laptop to warmup more..lol

Oh yeah..kel, have you tried and enjoyed any if Dcs recipes?? I don't know where to begin!

So I deep cleaned the house yesterday... Now I usually do the minimum- I am so fatigued!but vacuumed the living room, entryway, and mats on my hands and knees... Cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the clutter, took a trunkful
Of donations to the vv, unloaded dishwasher, dis tons of laundry including bleach load (never gets done)..packed cs too small stuff into a bin, put away our winter coats , conditioned all the leather furnitureetc! It feels so good! Mind u, neat freaks would still see a million areas that need help, but for our home, it's almost as good as it gets.. I will work on maintaining it (difficult!!!!!!) and I have z few other things to do. The bedrooms and bathroom aren't great ATM , the basement stairs are bad and the car needs help. The fridge is dirty too.
Have a great day, ladies!!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #60  

I did it after 7 months of being vegan and 2 weeks of being paleo, I ate some cow! I had a ny strip and it was delicious! And, I ate the whole thing! I really thought that I might not be able to go through with it but it was no problem. Definitely something I'll only eating every few months though.

One thing I've definitely been noticing is that everything is starting to taste better. Salad (I've always loved salad) is starting to taste sweeter. Has this happened to anyone else? I've even eliminated almost all salt and everything is still tasting better. Not complaining but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?