3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal/Paleo in March 2011! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/227448-primal-paleo-march-2011-a.html)

souvenirdarling 03-26-2011 12:29 PM

I think it's hard for me to eat more fats than protein, it's a huge mindset change.

TheMeIwant2be: Its funny, because your "lots of fat" post above actually made me cringe. Then I checked myself, laughed and thought about gettin' some bacon, too.

Svelting: I'm afraid I'm only as nerdy as loving my excel spreadsheet :) But I definitely think I should be reviewing my percentages.

kel: Mmm, retail therapy... I like.

saycindy 03-26-2011 03:24 PM

Finished my Attack Phase of Dukan Diet. All protein for 1-7 days. I went 6 since I was able to stand it. I lost 6 pounds of water.

Today I am looking forward to vegetables at 3 meals. They tasted pretty good so far. In the 2nd phase called the Cruise Phase you eat 1 day all lean protein, 1 day lean protein and low carb vegetables. You stay on this phase until you lose all the weight you want.

Did some prep today for the week ahead. Got some nice spices from Penzeys to make homemade sausage and meatballs. I got 2 pounds of ground chuck and 1 pound of ground Buffalo from Whole Foods. I mix them together since I'm not a huge Buffalo eater, but it is sooo good for you. Mixed 1/2 with Breakfast Sausage seasoning and made into patties. Mixed the other 1/2 with Northwest seasoning for meatballs. Cooked in the oven for the week ahead and I may even freeze some. Going to cook a whole chicken in the crock pot tomorrow. Then I'll boil 6 eggs. I grilled chicken yesterday so we should be all set for a good week around here.

I decided to set up some rewards for myself like someone else here stated, what a great idea:
15 pounds-new jeans
25 pounds-North Face Jacket or fleece
40 pounds-a Keurig (have always wanted one)

paleoforlupus 03-26-2011 09:27 PM

@saycindy All I can say is WOW!! You are so organized and prepared. The food sounds awesome. I think I could actually handle making meatballs but I'm most interested in the crockpot chicken...low or high temp and for how long? That would make some supper times so easy!

souvenirdarling 03-27-2011 08:54 AM

I loved all the crockpot recipes at this blog, though some have too many sauces:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

When I'm gone all day, I would cook chicken or chicken stew for 8 -10 hours and love coming home to a made dinner. I recommend using boneless chicken.

saycindy 03-27-2011 10:43 AM

paleoforlupus-I know what leads to my own failure, not being prepared. I also know that my husband will steal all my food if I don't make enough good Paleo food. :nono: He came on board when he read the book Paleo for Athletics.

I just throw a chicken in the crock pot with 1/2 water or broth, some onions and garlic and cook on low 6-8 hours. I check after about 6 hours to see how it looks. If it falls off the bone, it's done. I take it out and pull out all the bones, super easy.

Today I am going to try and NOT eat as much. Maybe spread out my food or eat something every 3 hours. I still have to go to bed early so I don't want to snack. Someday!

walking2lose 03-27-2011 11:34 AM

Hi ladies,

I agree that planning is KEY! Cindy, I also do a crockpot chicken that is easy and divine. I buy the free range whole chicken from Trader Joe's. Rinse well, pat dry, place in crockpot. Then mix a dry rub -- it can be whatever you want. I put about a teaspoon or so each of paprika, garlic powder, little salt and pepper, some thyme - mix in a bowl. Rub the spices over the chicken -- do not add water or any oils. Put on low and go to work. Cook on low for 7-ish hours or high for 3-4 (did this a couple weeks ago after work).

Man, it is good.

Had scallops over bed of spinach, mushrooms, and onions last night. Cooked the scallops in coconut oil and shallots, added salt and pepper - perfect. Recipe from primal palate.

Today is a grading day. DH and I will probably do some yoga - it's yucky out, so I won't get to hike/walk.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

souvenirdarling 03-27-2011 01:16 PM

You know, I have coconut oil in the house and haven't tried cooking with it yet. I'm under the impression it's a stable frying oil? Does everything end up tasting like coconut?

I'm feeling of perpetually hungry so far, and was wondering if you guys understood. I'm currently not eating any breads or grains if I can help it. The result is great in that when I avoid it entirely, I don't get those crippling cravings and downward spiral energy drops.

But I'm hungry now, and I've eaten a 3 egg omellette with ham, mushroom and spinach, 1/2package of raspberries and 2 bacon strips :( Maybe I'm just missing the "gluten lump" full feeling? Did any of you experience this?

Ilene 03-27-2011 02:07 PM

Souvenir, yes I was constantly hungry when I started, I just ate more fat and protein... It eventually subsides... The coconut oil I have does not taste or smell like coconut oil, I had bought another kind and it left a coconut taste in everything...

Arkansas Kel 03-27-2011 02:43 PM

Lazy lazy days..... OK, I am committing to a suck it up 7. None of my usual daily cheats for 7 days. Starts tomorrow (or now) as I've already had my cheats for today anyway (darned butterfinger). Anyone with me? Tighten down the diet for 7 days - your own way. I've not been obsessively primal/paleo, however, I have been sneaking some things about twice/day. 7 days loose primal/paleo for me without the sneaks. Anybody wanna make a suck it up 7 commitment of your own with me?

Will report back. I'm not dairy free or low carb to begin with - my cheats are usually a grain or sugar thing. But no more for this week - NO MORE!!!!

saycindy 03-27-2011 03:03 PM

Personally I find I don't have cravings on this way of eating. What I do have is very bad habits that have to be broken. The need to feel full, eating in front of the tv and evening snacking (huge for me). I know it takes 3 weeks to break/change a habit. I drink a huge glass of water, have more protein, hop on the scale or go to bed. Last night was hard for me so I went to bed and woke up proud of myself.

I'm interested in the coconut oil myself. I have heard good things also. I was wondering where to buy it, how much is it and if everything tastes like coconut after being cooked in it??

Ilene 03-27-2011 03:34 PM

This is the coconut oil I use it does not have a coconut taste I use it in everything...

http://www.omeganutrition.com/Images...6oz-Medium.jpg

I'll go in on the 7 day challenge :wave:

I've not eaten any almonds for a whole week :dance:

I'm svelting! 03-27-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souvenirdarling (Post 3777407)
I'm feeling of perpetually hungry so far, and was wondering if you guys understood. I'm currently not eating any breads or grains if I can help it. The result is great in that when I avoid it entirely, I don't get those crippling cravings and downward spiral energy drops.

But I'm hungry now, and I've eaten a 3 egg omellette with ham, mushroom and spinach, 1/2package of raspberries and 2 bacon strips :( Maybe I'm just missing the "gluten lump" full feeling? Did any of you experience this?

I can't remember what you said about how you were eating before starting primal/paleo. If you were eating a lot of bread and grains, the transition can be eased by eating higher in Mark Sisson's carbohydrate curve -- 100 - 150 g carbohydrates with dairy, fruit, nuts and potatoes, yams, etc.

I did have the sensation of something missing when I stopped eating grain; I just filled the "hole" with more protein and a little bit of fat.

It's also very predictable for me that if I didn't sleep well or "short slept" at night, I get much hungrier the next day. Predictable like the sun coming up. Could that be a factor for you?

souvenirdarling 03-27-2011 08:57 PM

Hmm. Nah, I think maybe it's the hole? I don't at all notice it when I get up and out for the day. Sundays are odd in their timing, so usually ravenous and make bad food choices around dinnertime. Today went fabulously well. My carb intake has always been mutable, but definitely on the higher end 2 weeks before my commitment.

Thankfully I'm sleeping well. I'm still a student (ugh) and man, those carb-redbull binge fueled cram sessions and project catch-ups never helped anyone. I'm a lot less stressed and better rested now then ever, which really helps a lot with all of life's problems:)

Thanks for the photo, Ilene!

I'm acually from Montreal, so I bought mine by Maison Orphee (http://www.maisonorphee.com/en) which does lots of organic yums.

Having just stuck my finger in the jar to taste, mine tastes slightly coconutty, buttery almost, but not sweet. maybe it being virgin is the difference (like how the extra virgin olive oil is greener?)

Ilene 03-28-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souvenirdarling (Post 3778094)
I'm acually from Montreal, so I bought mine by Maison Orphee (http://www.maisonorphee.com/en) which does lots of organic yums.

Cool, we live only an hour apart...I often go to Dorion, L'Ile Perrot, Pointe Claire for shopping! Maison Orphée looks like an awesome place...Where is it located I couldn't find an address on their site :shrug:

Serbrider 03-28-2011 09:39 AM

Hey guys... I'm sorta new to this all. Not because I wanted to be paleo, but because I have a recently diagnosed gluten sensitivity and the doctor wants me to cut out practically all carbs... From grains... Or... Is that the only place carbs come from? I really don't know... But I'm trying to learn.

So... What all is it that you guys eat? The doctor that diagnosed me said he ate paleo, and that meant meat, fruit, vegetables, and nuts. I'm pretty much eating that, with a tiny bit (meaning literally like a tablespoon at the most of butter every other day) of dairy and I'm also eating legumes.

I "started" on Thursday, and have gone from 216.5 to 212.5 this morning. However, I'm going through carb withdrawal or something. Blech.

So... If y'all want to share links you can... But more of a "this is what I do and why" would be awesome for me. :)