Primal/Paleo in March 2011!

You're on Page 3 of 10
Go to
  • svelting- LOL on the donuts! I would just get a 6pack ans then people would assume you were bringing them to work ! Though that tip is of little use to you now

So I did good at the movies. Got the kids a kids pack to split (popcorn, iced tea and kitkat) which I HELD so there would be no fighting/spillage and still OP!
    I rock! I had a nestea zero, and a delicious Atkins bar, both of which I packed (the atkins bar is a new vriety and it tastes just like ferrero rocher chocolates ..Mmm..

so all went well there.. then got the fam McD's for supper, as we were running late. I had 2 mcdoubles, no ketchup, no bun, and a coke zero wasn't tempted in the least to have the crappy old grin and starch I think the longer I lowcarb, the easier it gets!

Hope everyone had a great day!!!!
  • Natalia -- you're right the longer we lo carb the easier it gets

I did so-so yesterday, I skipped supper, sort of, drank wine and ate almonds all night ... It's either the almonds or the wine but I sure emptied myself this morning to the tune of being down a pound : ...

Today it's housework and clean eats... I may make a asparagus soup I found in the Coconut Oil Miracle book... I'll let you all know how it goes later on...

Have a great day ladies and gent ...
  • Ilene mmmm asparagus soup. Please post your review! Local asparagus season isn't *that* far away.

Natalia : thanks for the 1/2 dozen tip. That would have saved the sales tax too. Oh well, I'm not going to start that habit again. I will not.
  • OK, I'm back on board at least in a moderate way. Was fairly good today. An apple with almond butter breakfast (was in a hurry - on way out to go shopping), then steak and shake for lunch (I wasn't hungry). Got one of the new steak dogs - actually quite good - plus unsweet tea. I left most of the bun on my plate That's it. Nice. I have slept slept and slept since the awful Thursday. Might eat again IF I get hungry. Right now, am not. NICE. I missed this feeling. BTW my couponing was above average today - got $264 worth of stuff for $135. I've done better, but the sales plus coupons just didn't fall into place enough for me. Got a pork loin for 1.97/lb - never cooked one before - any hints? I'm still just a little sick, but so so much better. and PMS is beginning to let up. TMI? sorry boys.

HEALTH? That's a good idea. Sounds better than I gotta lose 100 lbs for a wedding week after next doesn't it! I like the way ya'll think. From this day forward I'm not dieting I'm eating for my health. I LOVE IT!
  • Hang in there Kel you can do this

Today I made Cream of asparagus soup it was very good and simple to make... I added to the Paleo recipes section...
  • Kel- there's no wrong way to cook a pork tenderloin- always yummy! Maybe just watch you don't overcook it as it's quite lean. You could run it with spices and olive oil and bake or grill it, or when I'm pressed for time I slice it into rondelles and then fry on the stovetop. Add a bit of cream at the end for the pan juices and you have a nice sauce too to spoon over your veggies. Slice the rondelles nice and thick though so they won;t dry out. I made it a couple days ago and served with vegetable medley and butter- yum!

Ilene- down another pound!! Lucky girl, I'm afraid if I had almonds and wine the scale might not be kind..LOL I had been very much enjoying red wine, like a 3 in sweetness, for the first time in my life. BUT alas, I m on an antiboitic until further notice where I can't drink. So I've just been staring t the bottle on the counter for 2 weeks ;((

Went out shopping with mom this evening- wanted to get Easter taken care of. Alllll done ! yay.. like $120 later, yikes. I still can't quite believe it. It sure adds up!

We also picked up a new water cooler yesterday. We were considering getting one the past couple weeks as the faucet filter is getting ratty and frankly I'm tired of changing it out for the aerator (we have a portable dishwasher that cant hook onto the faucet filter).. I sooo need a kitchen reno! Anyway the cooler was half price and I figure if it even gets hub and the kids, and me, to up our water consumption a bit, it'll be worth it. I know hub will drink it as it'll be cold now I like my drinks room temp and it has a room temp nozzle too but I REALLY didn't want the one with hot as I'm afraid ds would get scalded even with child lock- crap happens plus we would never use the hot for anything.. I would rather nuke my water.

and, the beast needs ANOTHER repair. this had us talking about maybe getting a new car, but I really don't want new-new car as we're still making payments on my Nissan. Hopefully the part won't be an arm and a leg and then I have a few months to save for the new car.. it needs a new fuel line?! and you can only get it thru the dealership I guess... $$$$

Had a great clean day!! and I feel great
    HOpe everyone had a good day! Don't forget to spring ahead your clocks tonite, ladies!!
  • New to paleo
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum so I hope I'm doing everything properly and I hope I can get some much needed advice from alum paleos. I started a paleo diet last monday and I'm looking for some insight. It's day 6 for me and have been feeling horribly all day. I was feeling great. Today I've been tired, lethargic, sluggish and melancholy. I was tired enough to take a 3 hour nap this afternoon.

I've done some research and some have said it could be detoxing. I was vegan for 7 months prior to starting this diet so I had already cut out dairy. I've just added meat and eliminated grains. Is it possible to detox on grains??

I'm doing this diet in an attempt to better control my lupus symptoms - it has been a long road for me. Is this normal? How long before it passes?

I really hope that this new lifestyle will help me to eventually get off my meds. Any insights and advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you!!
  • paleoforlupus- YES!! Grains hit many of us as bad or worse than sugar out of the bowl ! Sounds like you got a bit of induction flu going on (atkins term) but I would guess you have just depleted your glycogen stores (extra carb energy) and now are starting to burn ketones(fat metabolism bypoduct) for fuel..yay

Most people feel better between 1-3 days ..hang in there, you will feel MUCH better on the other side! Meantime,make sure you get lots of calorie free fluids into you. If you feel extremely sick and weird, you can ease into ketosis by bumping up your carbs slightly .. (try 1/2 cup of milk), but if possible, grin and bear it. It will be over very soon

It helps to remember that feeling and weird taste in your mouth means your body is rapidly dissolving your fat
  • paleoforlupus

You are definitely getting the carb flu... What helps is to eat more protein, veggies and fat, have an extra meal somewhere in your day, this really helped me when I first started...

Kel , you can marinate your pork tenderloin too, there are a lot of recipes on line for pork tenderloin ... I love pork we had pork chops and for supper YUM!!
  • paleoforlupus: welcome and hang in there. Give it a week before you decide it's not for you. I can do anything for a week. Well, at least I think I can LOL.

Today: So far so moderate. I'm ok with it. Will do better. Had a little bread with breakfast. Didn't have many options - had an early but short day and the cafeteria only had sandwiches, cereal, milk, pastries, juice, V8 (which I ALMOST got), bagels and cream cheese. I guess I coulda had cream cheese, and middle of a sandwich but I'm not that kinda girl. I ate part of a croissant sandwich - pitched the rest plus coffee. Will be better rest of the day.

Last night I made ghee - wow, it's good. Like nutty butter. Another tasty approved oil! mmmm.
  • Kel -- how do you make ghee?
  • Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to know that this isn't just specific to me. I'm actually feeling a lot better today. I added a few more carbs (extra strawberries and melon) and it seems to be helping a bit. I do have to admit that I'm really not that hungry. Last night I didn't have dinner because I was still stuffed from lunch. I forced myself to eat breakfast this morning and I'm about to force some lunch too.

Weighed myself today and I've lost 4lbs in a little less than a week! I know most of it is fluid but that's still insane for me. I normally can only drop about a pound a week. Extra pounds love to stick with me! I still have pregnancy weight to lose so this is a bonus for me.

Thanks everyone!
  • Paleo- good job!!!! I hope you stay with us

Kel- holy cow I didn't even realize it was possible to not finish a croissant. I love them so much- au naturel. Mmm!

Today we took the kids bowling- you can really tell spring is coming.. All the snow is pretty much gone., I packed some stuff like baked penguins (like goldfish crackers) and apple juice for the kids and I ate egg salad on the way there and sipped on coke zero. Doing good! The kids want to make chocolate chip cookies later- argh! Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a ton of patience with many cooks in the kitchen, I'm afraid to say
    Hope everyone had a great clean weekend!!
  • Replying to myself...lol
    Had a good day yesterday-- and whooshed down 2 lbs today!
    Have decided to set some mini goals:

163- no longer obese- gel nails
    150- new AE jeans
    140- new sandals
    130- teeth whitening
    120-125. GOAL!! Shopping for new clothes!

I wonder when I'll get there? Not if, when
    Hope everyone else is having an op day!!
  • Great goals, Natalia! You are going to be smokin!

Welcome Paleo. My sister has had lupus for twenty years - she is vegetarian, but I'd love to have her go primal.

Long, tiring day... might even go for a short nap.

Hope everyone had a good Monday!