Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #211  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
I made a conscious decision to have this food. What is it that compels me to have these "final" bad meals before I climb back on the horse?
CJ Welcome Back! As for what drives the desire to make sub-optimal food choices, I call it "diet head." I always thought that Barry Sears of "Zone" fame made a great point when he said the focus should be on meals not days or weeks. Each meal is an opportunity to nourish ourselves and adjust our biochemistry. Which way we adjust it is up to us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
We just had a delicious red curry chicken soup for dinner. OMG, it was so tasty and rather addictive - we both kept going back for more. It started last night with a leek/cauliflower soup modified from this recipe. I got the idea to spice it up with my open packet of gluten free red curry paste and coconut milk. We ate a little last night (just smooth and creamy), and then tonight I added sauteed onions, peppers, and chicken -- wow, it was so good. This recipe is a keeper for sure.

We also had scallops last night prepared exactly like this. Holy cow - melt in your mouth goodness! They are the frozen wild scallops from TJ's - I've had them in my freezer for a while (I love scallops but am not too experienced cooking them). Well, this recipe is a keeper too! They're pricey, but maybe this will be a monthly treat for us - love! They didn't need anything else, but just to be decadent, I used my homemade mayo (2nd successful batch!) to make a simple "tartar" like sauce -- just the delicious thick mayo with finely diced Clausen pickles - a dollop on the side of each of our plates was divine.

I am getting really dramatic about my food, but gosh, it's just amazing to eat such good food, to NOT be hungry (!!!), and to feel so great -- oh, and the shrinking part ain't bad either!
Claire, your cooking adventures sound delicious and have almost inspired me to try making mayo and to try to eat shellfish again. I try shellfish every now and then to see if I like it yet, but haven't tried it in a few years.

I know what you mean about good food. My partner and I were "m-m-m-ing" through Sunday's dinner of flank steak marinated in wine and garlic, broccoli with butter, and roasted root veg with thyme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Hey chickies! I'm still here and doing well. I have been eating clean and the darned ol scale just does not want to budge!
Have you checked the measuring tape or a pair of jeans. My weight hasn't budged much but my body is smaller than it was on January 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenacapella View Post
Forgot one more small victory.

I have become ... wait for it ... wait for it ... a black coffee drinker! And ya' know what? I kinda like it. Black coffee = naked coffee = sexy coffee
I'm envious ... I've had periods of several months where I've had only black coffee and I still go back to having it with cream. Wahhh! I wanna be a sexy coffee drinker!

My return to normal quantities of food has been assisted by good helpings of fatty foods. Yesterday I had at least 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts. Pricey but better for me than lots of the alternatives. I think my neeps & tatties (turnips & sweet potatoes) feed on Sunday was just what the doctor ordered. I felt far less crazed about eating, that state of "I. MUST. EAT. something but I'm not hungry.".

Have a great Tuesday!
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #212  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

hi girls!

Kierie- I keep forgetting to pick up that almond butter but when I do I am going to re-try the flax cereal I forgot the peanut butter or almond butter in your recipe

walkingtolose: I soooo love scallops, caramelized in butter. Mmmmm! And we usually do about 1/2 lb as tournedos as they are so decadent and filling (wrapped in 1/2 slice bacon). Scallops are also a much better deal buying them yourself than getting them at a resturant and they taste better, too!
Biggest tip to cooking scallops? preheat skillet to smokin', otherwise the moisture leeches from the scallops, they become tough and fail to caramelize well.

athena- you are my heroine for getting back onplan the same day as going off. I for one have a very hard time with this- once I have a minor detour then I am trolling the house looking for something to binge on! Ridiculous , I know.. but hard habit to break.

arkansas- you are so right about plan customization.. but purely from a mathmatical perspective you'd think I'd be losing something!! Maybe my worst fear has come true- I might need to exercise
I like the no cravings, slightly more energy, no blood sugar slump, etc. but I keep thinking of the other times on Protein power or CAD where I wasnt even this strict and lost weight at a moderate pace and steadily. There's nothing I can do except keep on, keepin' on I guess.. or get off and gain even more weight?! LOL Staying the same is way better than gaining even more.
I'm wondering if I need to get my adrenals and or thyroid checked. Hypo runs in the family. and I have most of the symptoms.. and I was borderline hypo (too high but not high enough to medicate)at age 20 (now age 34)

svelting- I think Dr sears has that part right. focus on one meal at a time..esp with those of us with a lot to lose, its overwhelming thinking about low carb low calorie for the next 50 years! LOL and women tend to look at the big picture and get overwhelmed. I know I do.. and then have a mini panic attack.
I did n't measure my inches this time and its kinda hard to tell as I usually wear yoga pants ( by butt is lways sore so theyre more comfy).. and they have seemed baggier and always pulling them up. But I squezed into my fave pair of blue jeans yesterday and they were tight- tighter than normal. But I haven't worn them in prob a month either so since the holiday gain I probably have not worn them at all (I got a few pair of comfy in the butt cards I was living in .. IN short, not sure yet.

I think I will a) see my doc
b) keep with the low carb low cal plan and
c) this the hard one- stay off the scale the next few weeks and just let my body do what it needs to do-- the only time I ever do the bad self talk and wanting to go off plan is after a weigh in.

IN other news... still doing good today. Hickory ham for breakfast and coffee with cream.. for lunch I think I"m gonna go with a salad with all the yummo fixins like boiled egg, turkey, and olives. Supper probably leftover hickory ham with broc/cauli and a pat of butter.
I tried a homemade latte yesterday with my unsweetened almond milk. I hope I can get used to the taste as its so low cal and low carb!! I didn;t really care for the latte but I don't think it was the milk's fault, the espresso seemed a bit stale and the fake da vinci was overpowering. I put in a lot as the milk was unsweetened but it turns out even unsweetened alomnd milk is naturally sweet. I'm going to give another attempt later

Going out for a bit later to pick up the last present for ds's 3rd birthday and some milk etc for the big storm tomorrow (another 30-40cms!!!) They're going to have nowhere to plow the dern stuff!!! And another $20 out of the bank for the guy to plow the yard ... its adding up this yr!
So hopefully will get in a bit of walking ..

talk soon, ladies!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Do any of you play lexulous? It's like scrabble.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Allaya’ll: I love good sexy naked coffee, but I also like it with a little cinnamon 

Srmb60: Didn’t try the yogurt yet – went for sour cream. And get this, my weight started going down again. My compliance went up with the extra variety added back.
Athena: Girl! It is a good week!!!

Svelting: What a good word for it “diet head” So true.

Natalie: I agree, on the not losing weight prob: how are your clothes fitting? I bout lost my pants today and I have barely lost weight! Ya, exercise may be another answer – slow and chronic is my plan on it. Even took the stairs today, of course the fire alarm was sounding so I didn’t have a choice except to wait. On the thyroid, I’ve heard the labwork can be misleading – sometimes borderline might still need meds. Ask and get it rechecked. And those other diets may have worked better because of your age – that darned aging metabolism. Good idea too – scales are a work of the devil. We measure organic, living, beautifully imperfect bodies and then judge them by an inanimate, calculating demon.

Today: Good day at work, very productive. Breakfast: sausage, eggs, few bites sweet potato, SEXY coffee. Lunch: Side salad: little dairy in cottage cheese and dressing, pale lettuce, etc. plus double order hot wings. Afternoon snacks: munched on rest of hot wings, pear, nuts. Snack on way home: 1/2 bag peanut m&m's (ok, that was a cheat but so what - coulda been a cappaccino and donuts). Supper: primal chili (my chili recipe, minus beans, plus can of spinach and shredded carrots) over hebrew dogs, just enough cheese/sour cream to think I had some, sprinkle of onions, water. BIG O YUMMO! Probly some hot tea later in my usual tradition. Good day with a tasty end. I had the option of attending a pampered chef party today, but opted out. Didn't think I could be good faced with all that peer pressure/sales pressure.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #215  

Hooray, I had a day of completely following Atkins except I had 1 diet soda. I want to give up diet soda as well but I'm not going to worry about that until I get a few weeks in again. (I'm still doing butter for now, but otherwise it's paleo as well.)

I had some severe sugar cravings this afternoon, but my snack worked. Yesterday I was inspired to make what may qualify as the weirdest snack ever. I'm glad no one saw me eating it or didn't ask me what it was.

I had some avocados that were going to be rotten soon. I wanted to make some hardboiled eggs. And some bacon sounded good. So I made hardboiled egg salad but with avocado instead of mayo and touch of olive oil. Yeah, totally wacky and weird. But I loved it.

srmb: Sounds interesting! I'll have to look it up. Do you play on the computer or on a smartphone?
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #216  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
I'm wondering if I need to get my adrenals and or thyroid checked. Hypo runs in the family. and I have most of the symptoms.. and I was borderline hypo (too high but not high enough to medicate)at age 20 (now age 34)
Natalia, definitely could be worth getting your thyroid checked. My advice is to ask your doctor for a copy of the blood test. Not all doctors know the new thyroid range. When my thyroid was retested about 6 months ago, it was indeed hypo.

I worked with a naturepath and tested the adrenals as well. I feel SO much better now. I definitely did not have the energy to diet before boosting my thyroid and adrenal function.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Wow. Great to see all these posts, ladies!! I did a good skim of them and will have to reply tomorrow because I'm still grading papers... UGH. Grades are due tomorrow, thank God.

In his podcasts, Robb Wolf harps on minimizing stress, which we all know we need to do -- he emphasizes that excess stress and lack of adequate sleep really hamper weight loss too. Of course we all know this already, but it's easier said than done, right? I keep thinking that to truly minimize stress I need to QUIT TEACHING... the teenagers are getting more difficult each year. Suggestions anyone??

Ok, back to the papers and will comment more tomorrow -- in the meantime, I'm loving our new thread language:

SEXY coffee
pale salad
mayo Mamas
diet head

What else have we coined?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh my goodness! Just the computer. I hardly know how to make a call on a cellphone

Do any of you have snow? If it turns out half as bad as the forecasters say, I shoulda bought more groceries
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #219  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I would love to hear more on the naturopath helping with your adrenals. My current GP is great but I'm always running to him with problems and would love to get them tested by a naturopath instead. pretty sure my work covers half and would it be too good to be true if dh's plan paid half, too? LOL

I just hope they don't try to get me off the hard drugs.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #220  

Hey everyone ... I took the liberty of starting a February thread

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-02-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: to remove sig
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote