Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I'm BACK! Few days of busy busy and broken computer - I musta po'd karma again somehow. Anyway, the cliffs notes: I stayed on, fell off, stayed on, fell off, sneaked a smidge, and got back on. Today all on track. I've loosened up the plan to the whole foods all primal over the idea of "whole 30" or I was going to just quit. Didn't want to quit, was just getting bored and wanted the junk I was trying to give up. Now with the wider choices, welcome back tomatoes, I'm all good again. Girl just needed a break. I think I did a whole 15 before cheating set in. Then the on again off again relationship developed and I decided to commit, but only to a milder, more open minded WOE.

Welcome newcomers. Good to have more brains in the mix so to say.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Mayo Mamas -- I love it!!!

Kel- sorry to hear about the karma issues, but I'm glad you are back with us in one piece. No regrets on the slips or modifications - this is a transition for all of us and tweaking to best suit you is one of the things we do.

I gotta say though that Whole30 ROCKS, even with my couple cheats. I truly feel great and just got back from the dentist where the hygenist and dentist both raved about my teeth and my gums. Seriously, it was almost weird and made me a little embarrassed -- but, hey, I'll take it. I can only think it has something to do with the way I'm eating (no sugars, grains, etc.).

And... another NSV - I wore pants to school today that haven't fit me for two years or so. My friend who teaches across the hall charged over to me in astonishment and said, "You just look like a model today - you are SO tiny." Ok, she is always effusive in her compliments, and I didn't look like a model,, but it felt GREAT that people are noticing changes. I also had two of my eleventh grade girls ask me about my pants and tell me I looked good in them. I was a bit taken aback and probably blushed, but again, I'll take it.

Looking forward to closing whole30 strong, and then... starting to think about what I might add back.
--I will definitely be having wine next week
--toying with adding stevia back to my coffee - getting used to just coc milk though
--maybe a little cheese?

Easy dinner - burgers with onions and mushrooms, sauteed spinach on the side, leftover cauliflower.

Hope everyone had a good day!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #183  

I had reeeeeeaaally bad sugar cravings today but didn't give in. Hooray! I did have a diet soda, but considering I was drinking two 20-oz regular Cokes a day before, I'm doing OK.

Stocked up on some meat tonight.

Not seeing results yet, but hanging in there.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Athenacapella.....I like your quote!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #185  

Had a diet soda again today. Really, really battling cravings around the 3-4 p.m. mark and I won, but going to have to figure something out for that.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #186  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenacapella View Post
Had a diet soda again today. Really, really battling cravings around the 3-4 p.m. mark and I won, but going to have to figure something out for that.
How about 1/4 cup almonds? I find they're really hitting the spot, not to mention the paltry 2g net carbs especially good with a small glass of red wine but maybe not if you're at work, LOL. I'm finding them great because they're so portable, just put 1/4c into a snack size ziploc and stick it in your purse! Good with coffee, too.

I had a good day today; my carbs were probably the lowest since I started PBish but I have more energy and feel "cleaner" and healthier. Not bloated, kwim? I usually sit on the recliner all day and night (chronic illness too) and today I actually picked up my 2yo and danced with him! That has not happened in a while!

Also got some good healthy groceries, lots of walking in, and lugged everything in myself.

here's my eats:

breakfast- 3 no sugar sausages, 2 HB eggs with a small pat butter, and a coffee with cream and a stitch of splenda
lunch- not hungry as very late breakfast so snacked on water and 1/4 cup almonds
supper- wendy's, ordered 2 double juniors, with no ketchup, and threw out the buns, diet coke
after groceries- 1 glass red wine, a few more almonds, diet dr pepper

Gawd I feel so good I hope this feeling has some momentum
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #187  

walking2lose: so true, it's comfortble for me now. Way to go on the pants!!!!! How exciting!!!

athena: I like a larabar when the cravings hit. Usually just a half is enough.

Natalia: I've found this to be a highly customizable, unique process. Glad u found your way.

Tody: almost all on track. Good day at work, food went OK. Had a piece of bread, and a couple tsps regular BBQ sce on a BBQ plate. Otherwise 100%. So what's that 90%? Hope so. Still not a soda one since about Jan 2 - that alone is major. I'm calling this a success. I'm into eating foods I had drifted away from. I'm off sodas. Unsweetened tea (hot and cold), coffee, and water are my preference now - trust me, that wasn't expected. Whole 30 changed me, even though I wasn't the best at this. It's all good, no it's all GREAT! I've added back tomatoes, potatoes, peppers - with gusto. Still waiting for most dairy and alcohol to add back - although a little dairy has been on my plate here and there.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #188  
Ilene the Bean

Arkansas Kel -- Whatever works, works! So tweak as you will... I didn't realize that tomatoes were not allowed on W30 I suppose there are a nightshade and not anti-inflammatory friendly and that's the whole point of sorts with W30...learn something new everyday I guess...I've been having tomatoes in the form of soups all along

Natalia -- You're doing so well, keep it up! Yes, the momentum gets better ... and keep dancing with your 2yr old it's a great workout too... Where are you in Canada? I'm in Eastern Ontario

Athenacapella -- I find an apple and some almond butter is good as a snack, celery and almond butter, a cup of blueberries and coconut milk are great too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose
I truly feel great and just got back from the dentist where the hygenist and dentist both raved about my teeth and my gums. Seriously, it was almost weird and made me a little embarrassed -- but, hey, I'll take it. I can only think it has something to do with the way I'm eating (no sugars, grains, etc.).
Funny you should mention your teeth, I was just thinking today how much smoother my teeth feel since going W30, huh, who woulda thunk ...

W30D25 -- Well, today was the perfect example of «Fail to plan, plan to fail» kind of day... I went to a full day conference today and didn't bring any of my own foods, I just kinda felt silly doing so, but I figured I'd eat the meat only in the sandwiches and they always have raw veggies, because that's what they usually have catered in... We get to lunch time and what are they serving LASAGNA Lasagna is not my favourite at the best of times, even before Primal/Paleo and even less now with W30... They also had salad (some white iceberg lettuce, with one sliver of a tomato on it ) of course they also had mandatory pale white buns... It amazed me at how everyone himmed and hawed at how great this lunch was oye, the SAD is really a sad state of affairs to say the least...

Oh, and my bad food choices day didn't end there. Tonight we went to my BIL and SIL place for a post-Christimas party I don't know maybe they had extra food left over from Christmas or maybe it was to break the monotony of the month of January.... She usually puts out crudities and dips, well tonight there were not a one raw veggie only every imaginable dip filled with cream and cheeses and crackers... but there was a shrimp plate ...

So in both real life situations I did the best I could... At the conference I scrapped the meat out of the centre of the lasagna, ate the meat and two bites of the noodles, had two plates of the pale salads I had brought some macadamia nuts though... Oh, and, in the morning when we arrived we were greeted with healthy muffins croissants and donuts ... In their defense they did have fruit, so I did partake in some of the fruit. At the «post-Christmas» party I had shrimp, fruits, I found a leaf on a plate that was there to decorate and scooped some dip onto it...It was really laughable, I musta looked like a person ... maybe I am

What I am proud of is that I did not have a one desert, either at the conference or at the party and no wine ... Plus I am only drinking decaf coffee now, it's been a week...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I'm going to call the ketosticks game a loss. I have to eat so much to make the stick turn purple that I've steadily gained all week. So I'm going back to my relaxed, nibbling approach.
Oh say ... I got on the elliptical yesterday. Poor neglected gadget, it was dusty
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #190  

Ilene - your post was a trip to read. I was laughing all the way through, especially at the "pale salad" and stray "leaf" on a plate you used as a scooper!! ha,ha,ha!!! Way to go on getting through that - you are so right - what horrid choices they fed you -- donuts, muffins, white rolls, lasagna, UGH.

The Whole30 doesn't require you to give up nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, etc.) If you are testing for your responsiveness to inflammation, they mention it, but many recipes on their site do call for nightshades, and I know Robb Wolf eats peppers, etc. I have actually had tomatoes just a couple times (just because ... not on purpose), but I've sauteed peppers several times with other veggies.

Good job on giving up coffee - was that tough? I'm still enjoying a cup or two a day with coconut milk (sometimes I add a bit of vanilla extract), and I have no plans to give it up.

Natalia - You go girl! Sounds like you are starting to FEEL the benefits of primal! Love the dancing part!

Kel - you are rockin' along! How are you feeling? Is your husband still on board with you?

Athena - you can conquer the D.C. thing - give it a little time, maybe find some substitute for that 3-4 time when cravings hit, and maybe just don't keep them in the house (or is it at work that you're buying them?)

Susan -funny you mention the ketostix. Back in the summer I bought some just to see where I was. I tried to do a few weeks VLC and wanted to know whether I actually was in ketosis. I only used them a couple times, but funny thing... ok TMI warning for some... this morning my pee smelled strong (like vitamins or maybe spinach that I had last night), and I thought, could that be ketones? So I got out a stick and it said "moderate" (I believe it was 40)... I don't even know where it should be or what. I did not have fruit for the last 2 days -- wednesday I ate the last of my frozen raspberries/blueberries - so I wonder if that's what did it. Anyway, let me know if you have a better understanding of what all that is supposed to mean!

Where are Sandy and Mikki??? I'm missing them!!!

Everyone else - I'm looking forward to a good clean weekend. Wishing all of you a healthy and happy one too!

Last edited by walking2lose; 01-29-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #191  

P.S. Who has noticed that nearly 2,500 people have viewed our thread this month?! Are we that entertaining? And I never did hear back from neurodoc, so I suppose we overwhelmed her with info, or maybe she decided we are the "lunatic fringe." I think we can blame Ilene for that (JK!) Hee, hee... can't decide if I prefer that for a nickname or Mayo Mama!

Last edited by walking2lose; 01-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #192  

W2lose: We only gave up nightshades because we both have inflammatory issues – didn’t make any difference for us. Wheat made a significant difference for him however. Any bread sneaks back in, he feels it the next day. An obvious pattern has emerged for him. My obvious wheat reaction has been SEVERE belching/gassiness (and that’s the polite version). So the wheat must stay gone, the nightshades are being welcomed back with open arms. We tackled this thing full throttle as best we could, thus the nightshades banishment temporarily. My inflammation is better, but not significantly. It bothers me a little less often, but not less severely and I didn’t find a direct connection to anything with it. Maybe just getting healthier and smaller will make more difference.

DH has asked me to make up a “lunchbox” to keep in his truck of safe snacking. So I gotta brainstorm stuff that heat and cold won’t hurt much – maybe a little fruit, dried/fresh, nuts, tuna pouches, bottled water - any ideas? He wants it to be his portable “minimart.”

Ilene: I think you did as well as you could for the conference – not a complete fail. I’m proud of your tenacity with it.

Today - so far so good, but it's early LOL. Going to a birthday party this afternoon - but it's at a BBQ joint - so there at least the option of a crunchy, pale (LOL) salad with some soso acceptable dressing and a hunka meat added. Actually, I'm most excited about the meat AAAH, porksteak.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post
I'm going to call the ketosticks game a loss. I have to eat so much to make the stick turn purple that I've steadily gained all week. So I'm going back to my relaxed, nibbling approach.
Susan, I'm delighted to hear you're giving up the ketosticks; they can become an obsession that nobody needs. You've been eating primal for a while so your body may have "keto-adapted" and be using the ketones instead of excreting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
DH has asked me to make up a “lunchbox” to keep in his truck of safe snacking. So I gotta brainstorm stuff that heat and cold won’t hurt much – maybe a little fruit, dried/fresh, nuts, tuna pouches, bottled water - any ideas? He wants it to be his portable “minimart.”

Today - so far so good, but it's early LOL. Going to a birthday party this afternoon - but it's at a BBQ joint - so there at least the option of a crunchy, pale (LOL) salad with some soso acceptable dressing and a hunka meat added. Actually, I'm most excited about the meat AAAH, porksteak.
Kel, it's not a product with an exteremely long shelf life, but he could keep meat jerky in his truck stash.

I was out for barbecue last night and just finished my leftover pulled pork. I really don't know whether I like it better hot and steaming, or cold the next day. I guess I'll just have to keep testing until I get a definitive answer. Enjoy your hunka smoked meat today!
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #194  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

hey ladies

I've been having soem crazy stress that sent me into a fibro flare then led to the REALLy REally stupid decision to have a beer last night . So I spent the most of today in pain and trying to feel human. Back to full detox!
Natalia sorry about the flax cereal texture its definitely a bit gloppy But
i don't usually have time to make a Muffin in a minute in the am
The Almondbutter usually helps the texture
I'm debating doing peapod or just going to the store. Need to get meal planning!
For the chicks who don't do dairy do you find it makes a big difference?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #195  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Good job on giving up coffee - was that tough? I'm still enjoying a cup or two a day with coconut milk (sometimes I add a bit of vanilla extract), and I have no plans to give it up.
I found it a bit hard but not too bad... I weaned myself off by adding one scoop of regular coffee and two scoops of decaf in my morning coffee, then last weekend I used only decaf coffee only the first couple of days I felt really tired at mid-afternoon with a bid of a dull headache, now I'm fine which is great
Quote:
P.S. Who has noticed that nearly 2,500 people have viewed our thread this month?! Are we that entertaining? And I never did hear back from neurodoc, so I suppose we overwhelmed her with info, or maybe she decided we are the "lunatic fringe." I think we can blame Ilene for that (JK!) Hee, hee... can't decide if I prefer that for a nickname or Mayo Mama!
I did notice that we had a lot of views, how cool is that?... Lunatic Fringe or Mayo Mamas, not sure which suits us best
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO
For the chicks who don't do dairy do you find it makes a big difference?
I don't really have food related health issues so it's hard for me to say if it makes a big difference...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote