Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My chicken turned out great! It's kind of a new thing for me to roast a whole chicken -- for years I've been eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Tonight I had a leg, a little breast meat, and SKIN -- yum.

This is how I did it.

As you all know, I'm determined to get my mayo right this weekend (thanks to Susan and Ilene for recipes!) -- chicken salad with homemade mayo is going to be so yummy!

Did everyone have a good day? Hope so. I overdid it a little on dried apricots and macademias - need to cut that out. Otherwise good!

Come on Friday!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone! I'm going home to Florida next week I am so happy. When I get there I'm going to try some of the easier recipes you ladies have been talking about. And I may have some questions .....
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

But I'm just so boring!

Cut back from the Christmas carbs and I've lost 4.4 lbs this month. About 5 to go. A lot of it is fluidy puff. My rings are tight and so on. Belly poof too. Muffin top jeans
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Lurking on this thread. I've noticed that when I eat grains I get reeeeeally bloated and feel like I've swallowed a bowling ball. Ouch! Can you all give me an idea of what your daily menu looks like? do you still calorie count?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
Lurking on this thread. I've noticed that when I eat grains I get reeeeeally bloated and feel like I've swallowed a bowling ball. Ouch! Can you all give me an idea of what your daily menu looks like? do you still calorie count?
Welcome!!

Heading out for a quick walk, but here is what today's menu looks like (and I no longer calorie count- hallelujah!!!!):

B - coffee with coconut milk and about 10 raw almonds
L- leftover roast chicken, dark and white meat (see my link above) and large bowl of sauteed broccoli
S - handful macademia nuts (I've been over snacking on these and plan to take a break from them once this bag is finished). Half an orange
D - haven't had yet but will be a large salad with homemade dressing, hamburger patties with grilled onions and mushrooms (no bun, of course), and maybe asparagus.

**I normally eat more breakfast than a few almonds, but I've had a busy week and start teaching at 7:30am. That had to tide me over today because I didn't have anything else to eat.
**Also, I didn't do a good job with meal planning this week, so that may not look too exciting, but it is what it is.

I hope you'll join our thread - it's a great source of encouragement and idea swapping!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #96  

I just read this essay about the conclusions this doctor has come to regarding why we get and stay fat and what to do about it. It is quite thoughtful and worth reading:
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetore...d-in-2011.html
Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Don't lurk Babygrant! Come on in!

I just wanted to tell you all that I picked up some cans of coconut milk that were weird. They got too solid to keep in the fridge for coffee so I've been drinking it with a straw. After the can wouldn't pour any more, I cut the lid off and ate it with a spoon. It was fabulous.

I calorie counted at first, just to see what my percentages were. I haven't for a long time.
Yesterday, I just wanted what I wanted (and I need to lose some holiday weight) so I had coconut milk, cream in my coffee, about a half pound of hamburger , homemade chicken soup. a ginger beer and a glass of orange juice. Weird but fun!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

That was very interesting CJZee....welcom babygrant
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #99  

We are having dinner at my parents' house tonight - pork tenderloin and sauerkraut is the main dish. Mom called and said dad is insisting on his mashed potatoes, but she wants my mashed cauliflower instead - so I'll be making that over there. I'm also trying to think of a primal app to bring, as we always hang out for an hour or more with the nieces, nephews, etc. before we get to the meal. My brother (and my parents) would benefit tremendously from primal eating (bro is just two years older than I am and has horrendous numbers for everything - chol, BP, etc. - and has been told he has metabolic syndrome, which is basically pre- type 2).

If anyone has ideas for apps, let me know.

I have lots to do today, starting with taking down the Christmas tree... yeah, it's still up!

**Also, I had a cheat this morning... no, it wasn't food related. I weighed! I just woke up and REALLY, REALLY wanted to jump on the scale, so I did. I don't regret it, but I'm going to try to finish the 30 days without weighing again. I'm down to 145, which is about 3.5 lbs., but man, I am feeling so much smaller than just when I started. I think it's the size and feeling not the pounds

By the way, what DAY are we on for those who started on the same Mon. -- 11??

Have a wonderful primal day, ladies!

Also
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

walking2lose - I started 1-3 so am on day 12? Crudites are a good app - or toasted nuts - or the ever popular kale chips - gotta try that still.

srm-I use a spatula and scrape the coconut milk and all the stuff into a tupperware container - then serve with a spoon instead of pouring. Great over fruit, and in my hot tea.

babygrant - come on in the water's warm - and the folks welcoming.

OK, I did it! I was good while out. We went flea mkt hopping today. I packed a snack bag of fruit, nuts, bottled waters. We ate ONLY from our snack bag. Had put on a roast as we left house with turnips, sweet potatoes (we've added them back early - story to follow), baby carrots (cheapo 39 cents per bag at aldis), onions. Scored a HUGE dehydrator with a zillion (well not exactly - but I haven't counted them) trays and accessories with it - but no instructions - for cheap. Will be fun to play with anyway. We came in, plated up the roast and ate IMMEDIATELY. Got excited when we decided to head home and remembered the roast! NICE. Drove RIGHT by Mccrappies, tubbo bell, etc.

Today: Bkfst: (OK, little weird I know) salmon burger, green beans, 2 links sausage, water.
In truck on way was still hungry: 1/2 lara bar (tropical fruit is yummo)
Between stops: some nuts and half banana.
Home again: Roast, veggies, iced tea.
Dessert: hot tea with coconut milk coming up any minute.
I am stuffed, on track, and it's all good tonight.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #101  
Ilene the Bean

I started on January 1st ... 14 days for me ....I haven't weighed in, but I am dying to step on that scale : Clothes is loose I feel grrreat!! Except for a couple sleepless nights, I'm good, I have no idea why I couldn't sleep though ...

Welcome babygrant ... A usual day for me lately is:
  • 1-2 eggs with avocado and home made mayo I added capers the other day to this mix it was soooo good....
  • cup of blueberries and coconut milk
  • whatever is left over from the night before
  • an apple
  • beef or chicken with green beans and another vegetable like shredded cabbage with mayo, tonight I grilled some red peppers
  • I may or may not have an evening snack, usually 10 almonds or macadamias, for a treat on Friday night I added some dried Thomson raisins...

I haven't counted calories for quite a while either...

Every can of coconut milk I buy is different, some are thick you can't even stir it others are liquidy with chunks I've started putting the CCmilk in my handy dandy Bullet and blend it, it comes out frothy... I refrigerate it and use it in blueberries instead of yogurt...

Last edited by Ilene; 01-15-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #102  
Ilene the Bean

I just read back and I started W30 on the 3rd, so day 13 for moi @ 158.9 ....

Kel, congrats on an on plan day out ... and your breakfast is perfect, we are so stuck traditional breakfasts there is no reason why we can't have left overs I've done it often it's a great way to stay on plan...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #103  

Hi girls - I started the 3rd, so today is day 14 for the three of us (I think it's me, Ilene, and Kel doing Whole30). Halfway there ladies! I'm in 100% agreement on the feeling smaller thing... jeans are loose, and I feel good! Ilene - ditto on the sleep thing though... it is always, always the area that I need improvement on. I have never been a good sleeper. I'm doing better, though, and keep replaying all of Robb Wolf's mantras that not sleeping enough keeps the weight from coming off. I know it's important!

Anyhoo... our family dinner got moved to tonight because my SIL had a bad cold yesterday. So, tonight's dinner will be the pork loin, sauer kraut, mashed cauliflower. Also, I'm getting ready to go to the gym and shopping with a friend - may even buy something! I'm not a big shopper, but we'll see what I find.

Kel - great job on packing your snacks!! Nice to know you had that roast waiting for you, huh?

Susan and Ilene - well, finally tried the mayo, and it EMULSIFIED!!!! However, it tasted SO bitter! I made chicken salad with it, which turned out delicious (apples, walnuts, bacon, mayo), but I don't think I would like it just for dipping bits of chicken or burger in or in deviled eggs or egg salad.

I read several websites on homemade mayo in addition to your recipes (I was OCD it wouldn't work again and wanted to be prepared), and many said olive oil (regardless of EVOO, etc.) gives a bitter taste. So I took advice from one website and used about a 1/4 cup coc oil, 1/3 cup bacon drippings (melted those), and then about 1/2 c olive oil (evoo). Still, it was really bitter - DH commented on this too.

So, I went back to the websites to do more reading and found several sites which said it's the high speed of metal (if you use a blender, hand mixer, or food processor) that does something when it interacts with olive oil that gives the bitter finish. In other words, if you do it old school with a whisk (i.e. more slowly whipping it), it will not turn out so bitter.

Well, I'm not Julia Child's, and I won't be whisking homemade mayo. So, I'm looking for a paleo/primal friendly oil to use in my next mayo venture besides olive oil.

Please share any thoughts you have.

Have a wonderful and primal day, ladies!

Last edited by walking2lose; 01-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #104  

I have a super big positive today. (Drum roll please!) Today ... January 16, 2011 ... I (finally finally) broke the ONEDERLAND barrier and am now 199!!! Can you believe it? __________________

Last edited by CJZee; 01-16-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
I have a super big positive today. (Drum roll please!) Today ... January 16, 2011 ... I (finally finally) broke the ONDERLAND barrier and am now 199!!! Can you believe it? __________________

WOOT!!!!!! What a feeling!!!! Great job, and CJ, look luck with the move back to FL!!