Primal/Paleo Jan 2011!

You're on Page 2 of 15
Go to
  • So many new people ...how exciting!
    Hello to you all and good luck!
    I decided to ask my gene to test my thyroid this month...I'm too tired all the time and I'm only 44. Something doesn't seem right. I'm also going to concentrate on healing my digestive tract when I get back home ( am currently in fl at mil's house). Have any of you heard of Brasco broth? Its from a book on restoring you digestive tract and sounds like a very healing bone broth. I was to try it when I get home.

Two questions... Has any one made bone broth? Any suggestions on how or what kind to get?

Also Ilene, I really want to start lifting again but am afraid it will really tire me out. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it properly? I use the weight machines at the gym (the ones with plates) and I also have kettltbells at home (12 lb I think).
    Good luck to everyone! I am also going to attempt this whole30 once I get home later in the week.
  • Oops I meant gyne not gene.
  • Quote:
    Also Ilene, I really want to start lifting again but am afraid it will really tire me out. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it properly?
    My suggestion would be to start gradually by working out 2-3 days per week for 3-4 weeks and doing a whole body type of workout if you haven't worked out for a while... Google full body workouts...

I've made bone broth, I think, if what you mean is taking bones, chicken wor whatever, and boiling them ... Yes, I've made it... I take chicken bones, from leftover chicken, throw in whole onions, garlic, carrots, celery and whatever else is available, bring to a boil then simmer for 3 hours or so... strain, refrigerate and skim off the fat when it's cold... I suppose we don't need to skim the fat anymore ... Then I make soup with it or drink it straight.... I haven't made some in ages, gives me an idea
  • This is definitely the right place for me!

I got three friends to join me in a whole 30, starting January 10th. Basically that will mean cutting out the dairy for me. I'm going to keep my wine twice a week, but try not to go over that, so it's not strictly whole 30. I just want to see what cutting out dairy will do.

I haven't lost any weight, am even up a bit, but my smallest jeans are loose, so I'm glad to see others having the same experience. It's very reassuring!
  • I have been doing better eating the last few days. I have this week off before starting my new job on Monday so I decided to clean out my closet. I hope doing that will help me stay on track. On new years eve I wore my new pants that I had exchanged for a smaller size & still ended up pulling them up all nite. I think they are the kind that stretches out after you wear them a bit. If I k ew that I would have tried a smaller size.
  • Welcome newbies

Wildviolets re: the workout, I always start people on whole body workouts because your muscles and ligaments need to be strengthen before starting weight splits...

Had a great day today... ran 5k... worked legs at the gym I made it pretty intense by doing some Tabata segments... It was fun... I was ravenous though afterward my gym workout so I had some blueberries and strawberries with coconut milk YUUUMMY ... 34 net carbs, 60% fat ...

How did everyone else do?... Dish the good the bad and the ugly
  • whole30 day 1 - complete success. Don't want to overjoy too early on, but I was disinterested in the normal cafeteria lunch fare, and not even tempted by the snack machines (right outside my office - ain't that a kick in the...). My only temptation was that my afternoon was VERY stressful and I briefly wished hard for a diet coke. I held off, and got coffee. It passed. I could hardly believe the urge just passed. So, that's one day primal down and 2 days soda free down. Go me! My BFF showed a little interest in it today, maybe I'll have a cave buddy soon?
  • Thanks Ilene! What about weights vs reps.... I think I still have the weights and reps from the trainer I started with a year or so ago, but quit lifting last spring. To start off would it be better to use those weights on the machines ( which show on the screen when I login) or drop them a few pounds and do more reps? Right now it's set up to 2sets of 12 reps say at 140 lbs on the leg press ( that 's the only one I can remember).

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to try the broth and get to the gym when I get home from vacation on Wed.
  • Violet, yep, start with higher reps 12, with 2-3 sets for each exercise...

Kel, way to go on day one
  • Thank you Ilene!
  • Day 2 - (I'm pretending ya'll are totally interested in my play by play accounts of course) Went quite well. Did chew a piece of sugarfree bubble gum after an oniony lunch - spit it out pretty fast though. It was for the benefit of my coworkers/clients Otherwise, totally primal. Got really really hungry towards end of shift - but kitchen had grilled chicken sandwiches and green beans to offer - so I had chicken, mustard and green beans. Not yummo, but good enough. I had eaten through my lunchbox So, on I grok!
  • Good morning!

Of course we're interested in what you do Kel!
  • A few nites ago I had the biggest looser on & DH comes home in the middle of it. On the BL they said something about eggs & DH pipes in ya they leave out how fattening they are (he was drinking so alot had to do with the way he said it) I looked at it & told him that this last yr I have been eating alot of eggs (which he knew from grocery shopping) That I eat them for the protein then he says about how they make your cholesterol go up. I told him to do his research cuz mine went to the normal range. It kinda pissed me off cuz he knows that I have worked hard to watch what I ate in the past year & was proud that I lost the weight I have & got my cholesterol levels where they should be (which where not that bad unlike his, if he isnt careful he will end up on medication for his) My DH can be very narrow minded at times. I'm not saying that eggs are not bad for you cuz if you ate a ton load of them then yes you may be sorry but they do have their benefits as well especially if you are being careful as to what else you are eating.
  • Kel, we are definitely interested! That's why we have this Forum so that we can share ...

I wasn't organised this morning was running late so I grabed an EAS shake - not good I know, but this is my crack lately - my other crack these days are macadamia nuts, almonds and walnuts *argh* ... I have to get more organised in the morning!! I haven't been sleeping well either these days, I go through spurts of good sleep and bad, I am menopausal, Oh well c'est la vie! I don't feel tired though, some nights I sleep maybe 4 hours...

Yesterday was a good day, other than when I gave blood in the evening they had no water and they kinda forced me to drink cheap orange juice to replenish my sugars, this just made me tired ... On the upside when I gave blood in the past I always had a donut hole which are plentiful sitting in a plate in front of you... I did NOT have a one...

I bought myself a George Forman Grill as a Christmas gift from me to me, I LOVE IT! I could never figure out how to cook my protein on days that we can't use the BBQ... we use our BBQ in the winter but there are those days that it's just impossible...

Question: If we are cutting out dairy during the Whole30 challenge, how wo7ld you gals replace butter on hot vegetables? I love green beans with a pat of butter
  • tymaboy,

The best way to convince someone who is stubborn (like my dh) is to show results. Post your cholesterol statistics on the frig, etc. LOL

My husband was a huge skeptic and now he bores everyone with his preaching about "his" diet. He even preaches to me....

YOU have to take care of YOU. His life is his responsibility. He can learn now or he can learn later. But eventually results speak loud and clear and he will not be able to ignore.

If you have children, make sure they are learning these eating habits from you. I hope that by the time my grandchildren are grown, this knowledge will be mainstream with doctors and nutritionists. It is our only hope to manage health care costs, in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!