Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #151  
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO
Embarrassing Q time Whenever I stop the refined carbs I can't go to the bathroom. any input would be Very Good
as it is I picked up some prunes took some extra magnesium and am drinking enough liquidh and coffee to float away
Not embarrassing at all I had the same problem and asked for help when I started. To help with the problem I started taking a tablespoon of ground flax seed at night, then morning and night, now I don't seem to need it anymore...

Natalia, my nephew's wife has Crohn's I sure wish she would know about Primal/Paleo way of eating...

Last edited by Ilene; 01-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #152  
Ilene the Bean

Claire -- Did your mayo recipe require agave nectar? What a great idea, a squeeze bottle for drizzling the oil in the mayo!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Home made mayo in egg salad ... glorious!

My beginner's constipation was short lived too.

I was going to get on the elliptical yesterday but decided shovelling snow might be more fun. I'm kind surprised that I'm not stiff this morning but I'm not.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #154  

Natalia and Kierie , nice to meet you!

Ilene, thanks for the welcome back.

I'm impressed with the homemade mayo y'all are making. Only time I ever did that, I wound up with food poisoning and long sessions on the toilet.

Yesterday I got out for a 20 min walk in the lovely bright cold weather. I didn't wear my microfleece longjohns so my legs between the top of my socks and the hem of my coat only had cotton jeans as protection. So in the interest of rule 9 (avoid stupid mistakes) I headed home when my legs got too cold.

Ok, day 1 -- for the nth time -- of my whole foods primal. Off to a good start, that's almost a repeat of last night's dinner.
6:30 Breakfast:
- 2 eggs scrambled with a little cream in ghee/coconut oil combo
- bok choy sautéed in ghee/coconut oil
- buttercup squash with a wee dab of coconut oil
- coffee w/ cream
- supplements (multi, D3, K2, Mg citrate, Iodine, ColdFX)

... and it falls apart not in content but in quantity
12:30 Lunch:
- romaine salad,
- olive oil & red wine vinegar dressing
- avocado
( I had some lovely wild salmon with but just didn't want it.)

19:00 Evening (can't really call it dinner) - hungry so in transit I bought
- frankenfood protein bar (I do acknowledge that it's better than many other choices)

19:30 Arriving home I had
- almonds
- berries & greek yogurt

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 01-24-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: correcting typos; adding later "meals"
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Claire....please tell me exactly what you did if you don't mind....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO craving the homemade mayo but afraid to try again and waste more food.
Thanks!!!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #156  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Ladies I <3 Flax but wasn't sure it was ok to have
I'll probably do my flax hot "cereal" Flax hot water and a tsp or 2 of almond butter it usually does the trick with a coffee chaser

<3 prunes too but they had me craving!
Will post later SWAMPED!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Natalia, have you heard of the specific carbohydrate diet? It's very similar to paleo/primal, and it was developed to combat ulcerative collitis, and crohn's. The interesting thing is, many parents have found that it has helped their children with autism, so I wonder if it might help with asberger's, too? Just a thought.

Here's the link...
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Also, has anyone tried making mayo with avocado oil? I'm starting to be tempted by your experiments!

Last night I made a beef tagine with preserved lemons and green olives. Delightful!
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #158  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Mahalia-thank you! Yes I've heard of the scd and tried a modified version but alas I find following it 100% to be very very restrictive. I just cannot do without dairy ( I limit it now but need cream in my coffee and the occasional latte.. Sf of course.. Many people with ibd see enormous success with no grains or sugar, which I am doing, but I've done it in the past and never noticed much change.

Ds has sensory issues with texture of foods so it would be almost impossible to have him stick to this..he has a very limited diet.
And I have a theory about autism/aspies though it hasn't been proven yet lol
I think the parents who notice an improvement with gf diet (about a third)
it's the ones whose kids are kind of glazed over all the time..Jenny McCarthy described it as the child being on the other side of a glass wall where it's difficult to hear you and always a spaced out glazed over look. Many kids on the spectrum have this, and many don't. Carter doesn't. He has texture issues, a focused interest, and trouble socially and with motor skills.

Thanks for the suggestion though, very astute and thoughtful of you!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #159  
Ilene the Bean

KO -- I read somewhere, maybe at MDA, that flax seeds where ok because technically they are seeds and not grain, so that was good enough for me ... I also use flax oil as an omega 3 on salads and cooked veggies, I find it tastes very buttery... Your flax cereal sounds good too do you buy the flax cereal or use ground flax? I also find that cabbage makes me "go" and I love cabbage so I eat a lot of it... I grate cabbage and use it as spaghetti, either raw or cooked when I make spaghetti sauces or chili...

Today was a very good day, ate perfectly on plan, ran/jogged for a half hour, wasn't able to make it to the gym but as long as I did something I'm happy...

Later
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #160  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Ilene!
Thanks for the input re output *cough* I just use the regular milled flax seed. Maybe throw in a dash of vanilla some cinamon nutmeg and ginger with the hot water The Almond Butter just makes it nice and creamy
I love cabbage too! I've been using Rainbow Slaw for Everything it's broc cabbage and shredded carrots
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviolets View Post
Claire....please tell me exactly what you did if you don't mind....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO craving the homemade mayo but afraid to try again and waste more food.
Thanks!!!
I will post my process tonight!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #162  

Another day down... last night I made chili dog casserole from the site, meh.
it was okay .. but I doubt I'd make it again. I prefer just doing the taco bake style excpet in a skillet- no tomato sauce, no hotdogs. Just adding the taco spices to the ground beef once browned and lightly drained, serving on a large bed of greens and cover with cheese, sour cream , tomatoes, olives, etc. DH likes cukes too. and mushrooms.

Tomorrw I am going to try another recipe thats posted if I can get to the grocery store before the storm does, we're supposed to get another 30cm weds night or thursday..I was going to try the poor man's lobster. Looks interesting .
Tonight we're having pork tenderloin with tons of veggies, will also boil up a potato for dh.
Today I worked those arm muscles .. brought in tons of food for the foodbank and stupidly threw them in ecobags so they mustve been like 30lb each. THat was not so fun!! But when I got there one of the men who was waiting in line helped me bring them in. I was so thankful! DH will be so surprised to see the huge stash gone- but not for long

tomorrow busy,busy! 2 drop offs of sold items on kijiji, 3 hour infusion at the clinic, son's social skills appt after school, then dh is taking a night course just tomorrow might at the community college paid by his employer.
Since I am often wide open, I feel a bit anxious to be this booked up.
I am going to bring almonds to the clinic with me, and et cottage cheese on the way, or quiche before I go. They have a keurig so I will make coffee there. I'm sure none of their snacks are low carb though.

Kierie- whats the ratio of flaxmeal with water? is it like 1:2? Flaxmeal is almost a freebie after you take off the fiber! LOL if I recall its all fiber and fat?
it's handy for making that one minute chocolate "cake", very yummy.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #163  

okay I just tried to make the hot flax cereal. I added 1/4 c flax meal with splenda, cinnamon, salt, butter and vanilla. added bout double the water and then nuked it for minute and a half. it was very good in taste, okay in texture, but awful in consistency! It was like mucous (sorry tmi) I wonder if halving with with ground almonds or pecans would keep the consistency in check? Hmm. I don't have any at the moment.. my almonds are seasoned but I'll get ground nuts at the bulk barn and try it out.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #164  
Ilene the Bean

Natalia, that mucus is described here :
Quote:
Flax seed slowly releases its mucilage through the fiber wall. After half an hour of soaking the little seeds, a slippery mucilage forms. The flax seeds act as a tiny mucilage release capsule. This release continues, changing the water to a slippery consistency similar to a light oil. Flax seed is God’s gift for a toxic colon! It lubricates and absorbs toxins perfectly.

Flax mucilage helps to prevent toxic build-up in the bowel during fasting or a healing diet. When juice fasting, take a teaspoon of whole flax, 2-3 times per day, with a generous supply of water. Do not chew the seeds; swallow them whole with a glass of water. This will allow only the mucilage to escape. The flax seed will pass out of the system without releasing any of its oil. Even though the oil is highly nutritious, it can hinder the deep cleansing process that is desirable during juice fasting.
From this site I found it interesting... Some recipes even use flax seed soaked in water to replace an egg, I can't remember the ratio of flax and water to equal an egg...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #165  

ew! I'd much rather go with the one minute chocolate cake!! and get in a yummy 1/4 c flax over a mucousy flax