Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Sandy - You and I were on the treadmill listening to the same podcast! How weird is that! I love listening to Robb's podcast when I'm walking or working out.

Wildviolets - That's funny, I get stomach and sinus/headache problems, too. I lost some weight, but was feeling terrible, which got me started looking into nutrition solutions, and here to Paleo. I've heard recently (Livin' La Vida Low Carb podcast, Titlebaum) that yeast may be connected to IBS and sinus problems. The doctor I was listening to said that if you have sinus problems chronically (I do) you probably have yeast. He said the same thing about IBS. Since I have both, I figure this diet will help. I switched from wine to vodka (at a conference and doing lots of networking) and it helped my sinus. But it's still there a little. I bought some yeast fighting supplements and am going to see if that helps.

My weight loss is still stalled, but I do feel great. I'm going to cut out nuts for a week and see how I do. I cut back on the wine, as we discussed, but still hanging out here around 163. Not a bad place to be, but I would like to get leaner.

I'm thinking about making the bread-free stuffing on MDA. Has anyone tried it?
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

WOW, newsflash...this just in

If you kick your shoes off while sitting at your desk, everyday, and put them in front of the heater your feet will dry out so bad that the skin is flaking off, looks like a week after a bad sunburn on the bottom of my feet, and yet my shoes are off and my feet are 10 inches in front of the heater AGAIN

I am such a dumb stubborn boob at times!

Husb and daughter: daughter slowed way down, husb too many cheats to tell. We need to shake it up a bit, I did notice that when I had cheat days I would have a day or two of bloat but never gained weight, always went right back down, Wonder if I just watched the calories and upped the carbs a little if it would start coming back off, I am at a weight right now that I spent years at, so my body is STUCK and I am going to kick it in gear one way or another

I already cut way back on the dairy. But I think I need to go back to having 3-4 big salads a week mixed in for dinners or lunches, I was doing that and have not been lateley and that is the only huge thing that is different.
I also need to think about the caffine. I am getting hot flashes, and should not be premenpausal. I wonder if I am getting sensitive to caffine, I do drink 6 shot americanos, which is enough to kill some horses but not this stubborn donkey!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
MJ,

I was listening to Robb Wolf on the treadmill this morning and he commented that a certain population of folks have an insulin response when they look at a sugary carb, and some have the response when using sugar-free sweeteners.

He sighted a study where runners when they hit the wall, were given either a little water or a little water with artificial sweetener. The last group was able to go on, the water only group was not. The last group's body response to the no carb/calorie was like they were given a little glucose.

So I think that our bodies compensate in ways that we have not come to understand completely. My opinion is that you are just too good of a cook. How about your daughter and husband. Are they stalled as well?
They are both using 6 splendas in their americanos, I take mine plain. We do have the SO Delicsious coconut milk now and then (2 times a week) that has a little sugar in it, but for me I dont have any artificial sweetners. I wonder if it is holding up Mikaela (daughter) AARRRGGG I just want the formula! and a guarentee that it wont change!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #109  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post

I did notice that when I had cheat days I would have a day or two of bloat but never gained weight, always went right back down, Wonder if I just watched the calories and upped the carbs a little if it would start coming back off, I am at a weight right now that I spent years at, so my body is STUCK and I am going to kick it in gear one way or another
Sounds like you've got one heck of a set-point. I am also at the weight where I quit and start cheating again, 'cause I get so stuck.

The book about resetting your set-point said to stay at a point for 6 months and then begin to "diet" again. Lose another 10% or so and then hold and 6 months later do it again. Which would drive me nuts but I guess the point is, it is darn hard to get past set-points.

I will be cheering for both of us. I decided to get to the gym and not miss my daily workout. I also think your idea of more salads could help me as well. I don't think of salads when the weather turns colder.

Go get 'em.....

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #110  
Last Timer

Default Carb Refeed?

Have been upping my carbs a little the last few days. Coming off the challenge, I think I need to mix things up a little so that I can jump start the weight loss again. I seem to have trouble in the low tens of weight. Low 170s, low 160s and now low 150s. Probably psychological... just can't let go. If I get too slim, my husband might start chasing me around the room again. Yikes!

I have always had cellulite on my thighs, very jiggling. Even when I weighed 110, my thighs were not tight, never have been. I realize that I put on weight differently (waist) than when I was younger but I think I am looking at smaller, tighter thighs.... Could it be possible that I will finally have the legs I've dreamed about when I hit goal at age 65?? Wowsa....

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #111  
Ilene the Bean

Dear Sparky,

Start doing any and all variations of lunges, squats, step ups, and your legs will see improvement ...
Sincerely, your on-line virtual personal trainer

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #112  
Last Timer

Default Measurements

8/9 measurements

Chest...........................42
Waist...........................41
Hips/belly......................43.5
Thigh...........................26.5

11/17 measurements

Chest...........................40
Waist...........................34
Hips/belly......................40.5
Thigh...........................23.5

My 10/11 measurement for my belly/hip was actually an inch less at 39.5. Could have been a measuring error or the addition of carbs the last few days may have bloated me a smidgen.

Like I said earlier, I am most pleased with the 3 inch reduction in my thighs. I still have a lot of fat there so the improvement will be huge when I hit goal.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-17-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #113  
Last Timer

Default I said not till 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Dear Sparky,

Start doing any and all variations of lunges, squats, step ups, and your legs will see improvement ...
Sincerely, your on-line virtual personal trainer

Remember, I am the old lady that has to hang onto grocery store shelves to get up from a lower shelf procurement. Bike, treadmill, rower, 145, weights. I do not believe that a lunge will ever be in my future, too wobbly, unless there is a machine assisted thingy at the gym...

By the way, Personal Trainer Ilene, my gym does not have a neck machine. Is there some reason, like "they" determined it is dangerous and do not want the liability kind of thing. What could I do instead? I bought one of those gadgets that you put under your chin and open and close your mouth and the back of my neck aches a little when I am done.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #114  

holy crap, look at the waist difference! all I can say is HOLY CRAP

So let me tell you abut my Christmas tradition. In past years I have shopped early, and done the black friday shopping and been done before Dec 1 (I only shop for my family of 4, no one else) BUT practially every year I do that I find myself getting into the holiday spirit during the week before Christmas and I shop AGAIN!

Keep that in mind, do you see a pattern here?

I planned out what I was making for my portion of the T Day dinner, gluten free dressing, flourless cake, and blueberry/coconut milk ice cream (100% primal)
Now that it is closer to the DAY, I am debating in my head, I have a recipe for brown sugar pie, carmel nut tart, pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate coconut cake, carrot cake........let me tell ya the list goes on and ON!

My brain gets the best of me!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #115  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
holy crap, look at the waist difference! all I can say is HOLY CRAP
My actual biggest waist measurement was a couple weeks before I started Primal and keeping track. 43.5" at the doctors office. Talk about carb bloat. So 34" from 43.5 is a 9.5 inch loss. Also, I have measured as low as 33.5 recently. Again the carb refeed the last couple days really demonstrates the belly busting nature of this diet. Beer belly really is wheat belly.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #116  
Ilene the Bean

Sparky, you need to start with modified lunges and modified squats to start off... these will make your legs stronger... and work yourself up from there...
What is the neck machine you're talking about?

Where are your waist measurements? I don't remember seeing that...

Mikkie, I used to do the same with shopping not cooking though... Hang in there and stick with your healthy versions ...

Last edited by Ilene; 11-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #117  
Last Timer

Ilene: Sparky, you need to start with modified lunges and modified squats to start off... these will make your legs stronger... and work yourself up from there... I could do these...

What is the neck machine you're talking about?

Like this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM249...layer_embedded

Where are your waste measurements? I don't remember seeing that...:Ilene

Up above...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #118  

Here is the flourless cake recipe!

Chocolate Cracked Earth

1 lb bittersweet or good dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
9 eggs seperated
3/4 c sugar
Peppermint, raspberry, rum or almond extract optional

2 cups heavy cream, very cold--whipped for serving

350 degrees, 9 " springform pan, buttered well

Melt butter, remove from heat, add chocolate and stir till smooth
In seperate bowl wish edd yolks with sugar until light yellow and creamy
Add small amount of chocolate to eggs, tempure, add rest of chocolate. (add extract at this point if you choose to use it)
Beat Egg whites in seperate bowl until soft peaks form, fold this into chocolate mixture

Pour into pan, smooth top
Bake 30-35 minutes, top will be cracked, you can insert a toothpick in the middle and there will be moist crumbs clinging to it.

Rest at least 10 minutes before you remove the sides

Serve with whipped cream on the side. Can also garnish with fresh berries, warmed caramel, or warmed marmelade

Last edited by Mikkijoe; 11-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #119  
Ilene the Bean

Now how did I miss those measurements?! Those are great Sparky

I'm happy to hear that you could do those squats and lunges

Do you have a problem with your neck? Is this why you want to use that machine or that contraption you have? Just wondering...
Here's my 2 cents on that machine:
That neck machine, I've seen it in our gym a very long time ago, they don't have it anymore, the only ones using it at the time were the heavy duty body builders... I really don't think it's necessary to isolate the neck muscles for the average person who is just looking to get in better shape IMHO... Unless it's an exercise recommended by your doctor or physio therapist to strengthen a certain muscle... Like I said just my opinion, but I think it's better to do compound exercises, exercises that work many muscles at the same time, like lunges and squats.

Well I've had a good day... I have a new job for 2 hours in the afternoon now, hall monitor... So I walk the school halls for 2 hours, it's long and boring but it's a bit of extra moola which is nice. So my job is mainly walking and making sure the kids are in class or where they are supposed to be... Anywoo, I take the steps 2 at a time and walk fast-ish, not speed walking, but fast enough, I'm hoping this will help kick in the weight loss a bit... I also went to the gym and did some dreadmill and stationary bike... Plus I ate well, not sure of the calories but the only carbs I had were veggies and an orange...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #120  
Ilene the Bean

Mikkie, that cake looks really good