Ilene the Bean

Marion...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #152  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Marion,

One of the things I try to remember is "If you get hungry, you're not eating enough fat and protein." I understand that IP is very low fat? If so, that might be your biggest hurdle. Making that mental switch to the fact that good fats are not only allowed but desirable.

You do not want your cravings to come back. I see you are from Iowa, Kurt G. Harris MD is in Iowa, somewhere. He is a proponent of Paleo and many read him.

Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-22-2010 at 07:56 AM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #153  
Last Timer

srmb60,

I meant to ask you. Do you have any issues with being primal in Mexico? I know that true Mexican food is way different from our tacos and nachos, but I think they use a lot of corn flour (Masa?).

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-22-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #154  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Marion...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
Marion,

One of the things I try to remember is "If you get hungry, you're not eating enough fat and protein." I understand that IP is very low fat? If so, that might be your biggest hurdle. Making that mental switch to the fact that good fats are not only allowed but desirable.

You do not want your cravings to come back. I see you are from Iowa, Kurt G. Harris MD is in Iowa, somewhere. He is a proponent of Paleo and many read him.

Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss.
IP is very low fat though I did stop measuring oil that I cook with quite awhile ago. I had been craving avocados, olives and cheese. I knew the fat seemed a little low, but with the success I was having, I wasn't going to argue. It seems like a good time to start adding some good things to my diet. Too bad the avocados are kind of yucky right now!

Thanks for the info on Dr. Harris. I looked through it a bit and will do some more research a bit later.

Random questions.... I know some fruit is okay, but where do cherries fit on that scale? I am addicted to them, though I haven't had them since July. I have a lug of them in the freezer just waiting for me, but I haven't had any fruit yet.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with weight training and weight gain on Paleo? I have been holding steady, eating pretty much whatever I want (As long as it's paleo). Three weeks ago I started strength training, and dropped my cardio a bit. I'm going to focus on building muscle for the winter.

I'm up about three pounds, and I've actually been MORE careful with nuts and cheese (I include full fat cheese, no milk). The weight has stayed on for over a week, so I don't think it's a fluke.

Does anyone have any experience with this? You can't gain muscle that fast.
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi folks!
I don't think I'll be able to be very primal in Mexico. Natural? Yes. Mainly meat and fats? No. They rely very heavily on donated foods so we get what they've got. I really enjoyed the food when I was there.

We've become friendly with the caretaker and his wife who are from Nova Scotia. This is their blog.
http://irabobbimaxwell.xanga.com/
Pictures of our team can be found under the date Tuesday, 23 February 2010
We take guitars and strings and help with maintenance and repairs and renovations. We've done some landscaping work and septic.
If you scroll far enough you'll find a fellow helping some children build a cabinet. He's wearing a Blue Jay's hat ... that's my husband!
If you scroll all the way back to Sunday, 01 March 2009 ... I'm in there!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #157  
Ilene the Bean

Mahalia, I weight train 3-4x/week regularly so I don't see that gain or fluctuation. Here are a couple of thoughts on your weight gain... It could be your muscles getting used to the workouts and are retaining water, my second thought is that it could be that you've gained scale weight but may have lost inches. Have you measured? Are your clothes fitting better? I know last week I measured my waist and it was down by 1.5 inches and the scale hadn't even moved. It's only been a week so I wouldn't worry about it too much ...
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Marion: As for Cherries they are perfectly fine. Berries are the best choice, Watermelon the worse (because of insulin reaction) but Cherries are closer to the top of the Glycemic List (the good part)

ALSO, Cherries help flush out the uric acid that you can start to retain from some protiens, and they have other great benefits.
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #159  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post
If you scroll all the way back to Sunday, 01 March 2009 ... I'm in there!
I scrolled...

Are you the one in the group shot next to the guy with a black Flyer jacket?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Monday morning, I ahve a payroll deadline because of the holiday, and it is snowing like crazy.........errrrr, this makes me want a cheese burger...WITH the bread AND the fries.

But I wont

IF'ing until dinner, where we will have breakfast cassarole

OH wow, I can no longer see the road, and this is a major intersection with lots of traffic. This could add up quick (talking snow--for those of you not inside my head) It was only 13 degrees this morning and so the flakes were itty bitty and did not accumulate, but right now we are approaching the warmest part of the day and this could get ugly really quick.

I made soups all weekend, AND we had rolls with them,,, why? because I bought them, WHY? I have no idea. seems like hte more I think about the various holiday menu items the more I want to stray. NOT good

Having breakfast cassarole tonight

Anyone make Kale chips yet? I bought two bunches of that and thought we would do try it. Made brussel sprouts roasted with onion and bacon....fantastic!

Rambling....cant tell this snow storm makes me nervous!

Anyone ahve one of those Kurig coffee makers, think I am going to look into one, maybe...although I tend to be cheap,

MDA site: You're right Sparky, it does get crazy there some times, there is one particular person that goes off on everyone about once a week, and the rest of the time she complains how the program does now work for her and she is fat (she is a size 2 according to her posts---she clearly has some disorders) BUT having said all that, weed out her posts (Shrinking_Violet) and a few marketing trolls and it is a really good site for information!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #161  
Last Timer

Oh Yeh,

I have read shrinking_violet... I even checked out her journal where she has posted oodles of pictures of herself in her underwear. She is scary looking. She actually writes saner than she looks. And she certainly is not obese or even overweight.

I was thinking of those members who are primal 100% plus and harangue others who may slip or choose to do 80/20 which really is the program especially for those who do not need to lose weight.

Hope you are safe driving home, MJ. I think the storm skipped over the mountains and went north of us. I do not like to be cold...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, Sandy, that's me. That's me rolling primer onto the auditorium walls too. Charming little chubby wasn't I? This time I'll be 35 or 40 lbs lighter he he!
And no ... I don't speak Spanish. We're supposed to help the kids with their English, our conversations are pretty funny.

We've been very lucky around here. I've driven once in some sloppy stuff that didn't stick but no snow yet. In fact, I don't have my winter coat out yet.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #163  
Last Timer

Susan,

I thought you had been at maintenance (your current weight) for years and you were just chiming in to help us. I didn't realize that you have lost the weight since 2009. Did you do it all on primal?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #164  
Ilene the Bean

No snow here just cold, drizly and damp ... I dislike that type of weather more than snow, well maybe not , I don't like snow that much eiter, specially after Christmas...
Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

It's 11:40 a.m. in Key West, 80º Fahrenheit and I'm goin' to my outside water exercise class in about 5 minutes!
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote