3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal/Paleo-ish in September (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/211462-primal-paleo-ish-september.html)

srmb60 09-05-2010 12:12 PM

I'm not even going to try the multi quote thing.

Hi Chewy! Welcome!

I walked back and forth to church today in the most awful shoes. Very cute but argh! my toes. I'd better get some of those nonslippy things for under the ball of my foot.

I got my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories. My goodness it's a big book! I might have to read it off and on between fiction ;)

Quiet day today. DH has to run a little errand at work, we have a quick family obligation at around six. I think I'll throw in a load of laundry and curl up with a book. I could do a little hemming for DH too, but he has to be home for that.
I wonder if I can read on the elliptical.
Pork chops for supper methinks.

CJZee 09-05-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking2lose (Post 3467804)

I plan to continue this induction way of eating (VLC) for another week or two if anyone wants to join me it would be great.

Hi Claire! I'd love to join you for two weeks of VLC. In the last week I've lost 2.2 lbs. of the 3.5 lbs. I gained on my European trip, putting me at 204.2. On Sept. 23 I'm going to visit some relatives I have not seen since I was a small child, so I'd really like to be 199 or less by then. Since they haven't seen me for years, it will make absolutely no difference to them, but it will make me feel GREAT and that is what I am aiming for.

Thanks! CJ

walking2lose 09-05-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB (Post 3467911)
I got my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories. My goodness it's a big book! I might have to read it off and on between fiction ;)

Susan, I've been reading it all summer (for at least 2 months!) in between fiction and nonfiction books related to teaching. I've had about 3 books going at all times. It's very scientific, dense, and thorough, but it's absolutely one of the most enlightening books I've ever read (I mean that literally). About 50 pages in, I began to use a pencil to annotate to keep me focused -- I've underlined key points and written a few marginal notes. I'm toward the end now, and it's getting even more interesting. It's just an overwhelming read though - so much to take in, and if you are like me, it will validate fully the way you are now eating and leave you feeling bewildered at your adherence to low fat/low cal for so many years (well, I'm speaking for myself here).

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I feel it's been a life changing book for me.

Taubes has a new book coming out in Dec. that is supposed to be more geared toward the layman - not so scientific, I guess, but an overview of what to eat. I am looking forward to reading it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJZee (Post 3468153)
Hi Claire! I'd love to join you for two weeks of VLC. In the last week I've lost 2.2 lbs. of the 3.5 lbs. I gained on my European trip, putting me at 204.2. On Sept. 23 I'm going to visit some relatives I have not seen since I was a small child, so I'd really like to be 199 or less by then. Since they haven't seen me for years, it will make absolutely no difference to them, but it will make me feel GREAT and that is what I am aiming for.
CJ

That would be fantastic, CJ! We can keep each other accountable. I may not post every day because of school starting Tue, but I will most definitely be checking in. Your goal sounds very reasonable, and it sounds like the scale is really cooperating with you! We can do this.

chewy 09-05-2010 10:26 PM

I found a lo carb recipe website:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/menus.html

Here are a couple I am going to try soon:

1. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/most_awesome_pizza.html

The entire pizza only has 6 net carbs!

2. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/improve...ion_rolls.html

The roll has .5 net carb!

sparky1946 09-06-2010 08:36 AM

Claire and CJ,

I was a bad, bad, girl yesterday..... I had a few pieces of a crummy frozen pizza I noticed in the freezer. It started when I had to use up some avocados. I bought some "healthier" tortilla chips for DH to use for dip. but I had to taste the stuff 'cause I hadn't made it in a while and wanted to make sure the recipe was still a good one (changing taste buds you know).

Anyway, I measured out 6 chips (my first cheat) and tasted the recipe. It needed salt badly but then my dh could've told me that. :( Well that brought on all kinds of crazy thoughts. How I miss chips. How I miss pizza and before you know it I was rationalizing baking 1/2 of this lonely little pizza that was sitting beside my grass-fed stuff.

Wound up having 88 carbs yesterday!!!!!

Anywho, I will be joining you for your 2 week induction challenge as well as MDA's challenge what ever that might mean. Is induction just keeping in ketosis? 20 grams or less carbs?

sparky1946 09-06-2010 08:42 AM

Chewy,

First of all welcome!

I had a version of those rolls and I am going to try the one you posted. My SIL is a sandwich maniac and would love if these came even close to tasting OK for him. He is very overweight and doing IP sort of with a little Primal thrown in (my influence).

Thanks for the link.

Update: Made the rolls and they were quite acceptable. Gave some samples to SIL and he was thrilled.

CJZee 09-06-2010 11:27 AM

Hi Sandy & Claire -

My plan is to eat only proteins and veggies. I am aiming for 20 grams of carbs, but won't go crazy if it's higher. I just want to eat "real" nutritious foods, keep carbs lowish, not be hungry and lose some weight.

If you want the "formal" Atkins induction, here is a link.

CJ

sparky1946 09-06-2010 12:57 PM

I bought meself some Keto sticks :)

Reminiscent of my Atkins days in 1980??

Just for fun.

chewy 09-06-2010 07:06 PM

Thank you for the welcomes!!

I failed at the one bread recipe, but found this on to work ok:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...ound-flax.html

I am going to add some feta cheese and use 1 egg for 2 muffins, it was too eggy for me!

I also found this recipe:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flax_ga...flatbread.html

wendyland 09-06-2010 09:35 PM

I just got back in town today. We had a great weekend at our cabin. Except for a small fire in the house. My oldest put a plastic dishtub full of moon sand on the toaster. Somehow, it got turned on and caused a pretty good size fire. We were able to get it out, but it was a little scary. We are going to turn off all appliances from now on except when they are in use. Big lesson learned for everyone.

My food choices were pretty bad. I had in my mind that I was doing the 30 day challenge at MDA and that meant free for all. I did do some sprinting. First time I've ran in quite awhile. It felt great.

I'm looking forward to the challenge, but also a little nervous. The second I tell myself that I can't have something, I want it like crazy. I need to go to the store tomorrow and stock up on meet and veggies.

Good luck to everyone else!

walking2lose 09-06-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky1946 (Post 3468827)
Claire and CJ,

I was a bad, bad, girl yesterday..... I had a few pieces of a crummy frozen pizza I noticed in the freezer. It started when I had to use up some avocados. I bought some "healthier" tortilla chips for DH to use for dip. Put I had to taste the stuff 'cause I hadn't made it in a while and wanted to make sure the recipe was still a good one (changing taste buds you know).

Anyway, I measured out 6 chips (my first cheat) and tasted the recipe. It needed salt badly but then my dh could've told me that. :( Well that brought on all kinds of crazy thoughts. How I miss chips. How I miss pizza and before you know it I was rationalizing baking 1/2 of this lonely little pizza that was sitting beside my grass-fed stuff.

Wound up having 88 carbs yesterday!!!!!

Anywho, I will be joining you for your 2 week induction challenge as well as MDA's challenge what ever that might mean. Is induction just keeping in ketosis? 20 grams or less carbs?

Sandy and CJ - VERY, very excited to have a little group doing a 2 week VLC challenge -- it will help us all to know we are accountable! Essentially, yes, it is Atkins induction -- I plan to keep it primal with grass fed meat, farm eggs, and organic veg-- no weird Atkins bars or ingredients (sugar-free jello, etc.). Lunch packed for 1st day school tomorrow --coffee with whipping cream and coc oil at home, 2 hard boiled eggs breakfast, 1/2 avocado and cheese for snack, leftover beef and veg shisk-a-bob lunch. Dinner ... hopefully pork loin and salad.

We can do this ladies!! I'm actually excited in case you can't tell!

walking2lose 09-06-2010 10:19 PM

p.s. Susan, are you shooting for another 14 day exercise challenge?? We will cheer you on!

And... still wondering where Bob is and hoping he's ok.

chewy 09-06-2010 11:19 PM

I will also be doing VLC and I am back to my Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe, I failed at the flax ones big time!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust:

http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-...h-its-wow-gold

Today we bought some meats at WFM, all hormone free, but we both stopped eating meat 2 months ago, so it was hard for us to eat alot of it.

I am going to still add meat to my diet, for protein, since I am not eating beans or any grains except flax.

srmb60 09-07-2010 05:13 AM

A two week challenge? hmmm ... what'll I do? What day are we starting?

sparky1946 09-07-2010 08:54 AM

I skipped 163 and dropped to 162 on my first induction day, which was also a fast day where I made it 36 hours. My little keto stick showed a trace so I am on my way. I want to get as low as possible by the time I go for my annual physical 9/27.

I read recently that if you sit all day for your job, you need to get up every 20 minutes or so and move. That it is almost dangerous not to. That 40 minutes of a walk is good but not enough to prevent age-related dangers.
So yesterday, I did not work (Labor Day here in the States), so I cooked.
I found that getting up every now and then (from reading GCBC) to cut, chop and prepare food for this week, made me kind of restless and I could barely read a few pages until I had to get up and move. A rare feeling :).

I wrote out a list of small household chores, like cleaning out the junk drawer in the kitchen, to help me quickly get up and do something that won't take too long. This is not really exercising as it is just getting out of the chair.
We will see how it works when I am actually working on websites and Quickbooks today.

Is this Day one or Day two of our VLC induction challenge?

I checked MDA and nothing yet posted on the Challenge.