3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Low-Carb: What do you primarily eat? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/210972-low-carb-what-do-you-primarily-eat.html)

swtbttrfly23 08-26-2010 01:39 AM

Low-Carb: What do you primarily eat?

Ok, so I am actually still counting calories, but I am starting to work on lowering my carbs. I never really realized how many carbs I was eating even while watching my calories!
So my question is how many carbs and protein grams do you typically eat in a day? I'm trying to determine what level would be a low-carb level. I don't want to go too low because I get energy from them, and I can not ever completely cut veggies and fruit out. I have in the past lost weight quite rapidly on low carb, but I didn't count them it was more like atkins induction style, and I don't really want to go back to eating as much meat as I did then. What are your main sources of the low-carb high-protein foods?

DaughterOfVenus 08-26-2010 01:45 AM

I'm so glad you asked this! I'm wondering just what "low carb" means too! I really don't know if I want to do it, but it's something to think about for later when my weightloss starts leveling out and I need to change things up.

As is stands, I keep my carbs mainly to whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatos etc. I don't eat much sugar and white flour.

starbrite 08-26-2010 02:41 AM

Well, I don't know about grams and things, but I eat no refined carbs eg no bread,potatoes, pasta, rice or flour. I just eat protein and veg. The only exception is oatmeal for breakfast. I have been losing consistently since April.
I find I am never hungry, I have loads of energy and my food is tasty and satisfying. Hope this helps !

Rosinante 08-26-2010 03:00 AM

I eat 100g (with leeway to 110 but it's usually in the high 90s) carbs and 1400 calories.

I'm losing well. I began on Low lowcarb, under 15g, and lost 10lbs in 5 weeks (2lbs a week, average). On the higher carb count I've lost 18lbs in 8 weeks (2.25lbs a week, average).

The carbs are from veg., fruit, oats in the morning, rice or corn pasta at lunch time, no starch carbs at the evening meal, and the evening meal at or before 8pm, no wheat at all.

I find that many more carbs, and I fall asleep. Too few and I get Very tired leg muscles and (TMI alert) racing bathroom issues.

HTH!

Rochester 08-26-2010 08:27 AM

You can use this calculator to calculate macronutrient percentages for low carb/very low carb and how many grams of carbs per day and per meal.

Mikkijoe 08-26-2010 06:21 PM

I eat 50-75 grams a day average, I say average because I am no longer a slave to tracking everything. I eat what I want and track every 5-6 days to make sure I am still on target.

I eat high quality beef, pork, chicken, salmon, eggs.
Butter, occational cream, occational high quality cheese
Olive oil
All veggies, potatoes I have stayed away from, sweet potato occationally
All fruits, BUT I eat from the lower glycemic index (blueberries are my frequent fav right now) and stay away from high GI (watermelon)

I eat LESS, because when you are getting enough fat and protien you are satisfied! Notice there is no grains in there! For me that way my huge wight loss hang up.....lots of research on it, check it out for yourself! Google 'wheat belly" or 'wheat hip" HUGE issue for people with joint pain. OR check out information on MDA Everyone has a plan that works best for them, or sometimes they have to switch up the plan. I do not agree with cutting out all fruits, there are too many nutirents in them. I also do not agree with having all the processed meats like some lo carb diets promote. And I really dont agree with all the products, bars, shakes, etc....but thats just me.
What I know is that I have never felt better being off all grains, and have never felt more satisfied and healthy. And to top it off the weight is coming off easily! I have NEVER said that in my 30 years of trying to lose weight!

sf40 08-27-2010 05:32 PM

thank you for this thread

Just recently, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and decided to really cut sugar and carbs to hopefully avoid further problems. I was already reducing carb intake and thought it would be easy to eat no more than 100g a day. Boy, was I wrong.

For the first time, I tracked a day's food intake. It came to about 1900 calories and almost 200g of carbs! I was shocked. I've been eating this way for a couple of weeks now and I am slowly losing weight and I really thought I had drastically cut carbs. My macronutrients are roughly 37% carb, 44% fat, and 19% protein.

I see a couple of places to cut carbs - the fruit smoothie each morning (36g) and the multigrain cereal bar snack (29g). But that still keeps me at over 100. The rest are coming from all the vegetables I eat, blueberries that I stir into greek yogurt, and the greek yogurt.

Alternatively, maybe I don't need to get to 100g just yet. Perhaps I can hover between 100g and 150g and see how it goes. I really don't want to give up the greek yogurt and blueberries - it's yummy and a good source of protein.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!!

Karen925 08-27-2010 06:04 PM

Howdy,
I have a goal of 100 gm net carbs and 1200 cal daily with the cal number set to increase slowly. I am mindful of corelation and causality.

I do not eat sides which are starches (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, grains). I found wonderful veggies to substitute for these. I always have them in the refrig for when the family has the other stuff I have my great tasting food too. I eat a lot of veggies and usually 1-2 servings of fruit each day. 70 gm of blueberries for 42 cal is a serving. I have oatmeal once a week, on Sunday with egg whites for protein. Otherwise, nada on the oatmeal.

I have not had a stall, plateau or hunger. Plenty of energy, nails grow, hair is great, skin is glowing, compliments, etc... You have to find your numbers.

nancymae 08-27-2010 09:21 PM

I needed a break from chicken and lettuce so I did NurtiSystem for almost 4 weeks. I was losing 2 pounds a week but my blood sugar was 140-170mg/dl so I went back on Atkins 5 days ago.

To really loose more than 2 pounds per week I have 50 gr or less or carbs per day. And not "net carbs" (net carbs are the grams of carbs minus the grams of fiber per day) either!

I can maintain my weight pretty well on 120-150gr of carbs a day, but really have to plan and count every gram.

However, my blood sugars start to rise above 120mg/dl when I go over 100gr per day... so I am suspecting that 120-150 grams will have to be a splurge if I have any hope of keeping this weight off and controlling my blood sugar after I loose it!

synger 08-31-2010 11:23 AM

I eat moderately low carb. My definitions are as follows, from talking to people on a lot of low carb/paleo boards:

VLC: fewer than 20 grams/day (Bernstein)
LC: fewer than 50 grams/day
MLC: fewer than 100 grams/day
Reduced Carbs: fewer than 200 grams/day

I eat cottage cheese or eggs in the morning, with a cup of tea or coffee with cream and coconut oil.

Lunches vary: usually meat of some sort, a salad, veggies

Dinners also vary: usually bigger portions of things I have for lunch. Often if I eat fruit I have it with dinner, because I also usually have a glass of wine or bourbon which slows the glucose spike of the fruit.

Most of my carbs come from veggies and cheese. I do have high fiber crackers or break once in a while, or a small serving of rice with Chinese or curry.

But my averages over the past few months have been closer to 60 than to 100.

Mollie 10-13-2010 07:27 PM

I know this is an old thread, and I hope it's ok to bump it up. I found it very interesting. I've also been diagnosed with pre diabetes and have been looking for a diet I can stick with. My doctor recommended WW, which I've been on and off like forever, but it doesn't restrict carbs and I don't lose on it.

I was very interested to see how many people were keeping carbs under 100 grams, rather than 20. I had thought of trying that -- I've read that this is a good idea, especially for older dieters (I'm in my 50s; I hope you'll let me in!
:-) ). It's great to get ideas of what people are eating. Thanks.

sf40 10-13-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollie (Post 3520875)
I know this is an old thread, and I hope it's ok to bump it up. I found it very interesting. I've also been diagnosed with pre diabetes and have been looking for a diet I can stick with. My doctor recommended WW, which I've been on and off like forever, but it doesn't restrict carbs and I don't lose on it.

I was very interested to see how many people were keeping carbs under 100 grams, rather than 20. I had thought of trying that -- I've read that this is a good idea, especially for older dieters (I'm in my 50s; I hope you'll let me in!
:-) ). It's great to get ideas of what people are eating. Thanks.

It is an interesting thread and it was good to re-read everyone's responses.

Nearly two months later, I'm eating pretty close to primal and having good results with my BG after meals, but my fasting BG is higher than I would like. I have some ideas about that. I am not sure how many grams of carbs I get per day, but it all comes from vegetables, some fruit, and some yogurt. I switched to full fat yogurt to reduce the carb content. I haven't tracked recently in FitDay (because I eat the same stuff over and over), but last time I did, my daily carbs ranged anywhere from 60 to 85 and I feel great. I don't eat a whole lot of meat, but I do eat eggs and I eat a lot more fat than I ever did (probably why I feel so good).

If you don't lose on WW, probably not a good plan particularly because there is no limit on sugar and carbs. A lot of diabetics follow the Primal Blueprint. I am sure you can find diabetics on any of the lower carb plans, but I like Primal Blueprint because of its emphasis on real foods and vegetables. Oh, and I've been shrinking without too much effort. :)

elisaannh 10-14-2010 01:29 PM

I am prediabetic, my blood glucose readings are normal 80-80 at 30 or less carbs, spike at anything over that. I tested 3 hours after 4 oz of bread and my reading hit 198! NO THANK YOU. Low carb is no longer a weight loss diet to me, it is a life saver.

I stick with meats, fish, nuts, seeds, above ground veggies, and coconut and olive oils. I also eat full fat dairy (cream, full fat plain yogurt) and butter. No corn, grains, sugars.

My desserts when I want them is usually whipped cream with stevia and dark cocoa powder. Sometimes I will grate lemon peel into the cream and make a lemon dessert. I don't mess too much with anything "sweet' tasting, it can lead me to eating more.

Ivonnely 10-18-2010 10:32 PM

My family is extremely Asian and we don't eat out all that much. It's been very hard for me to find "low carb" Chinese foods since everything we do is almost with bunch of soy sauce..

Anyone with suggestions ;( ?

elisaannh 10-19-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivonnely (Post 3527819)
My family is extremely Asian and we don't eat out all that much. It's been very hard for me to find "low carb" Chinese foods since everything we do is almost with bunch of soy sauce..

Anyone with suggestions ;( ?

Asian food on the whole is low carb, especially the dishes based in meat and veggies and a thin sauce. The thicker the sauce, the more carbs present. I usually stick to egg foo yong as it is a favourite of mine. Noodle dishes and eggroll wrappers are high carb, as are pot stickers (depending on how many eaten), dumplings and anything sweet, such as buns, red bean paste, fruit, candies, crackers, etc. Oyster sauce is higher carb than soy sauce which is actually pretty low. Sriracha sauce is lower in carb than sweet chili sauce. Stir frying meat and veggies are a great low carb meal.

Hope this helps. There are many Asian dishes you can look up on the net for nutritional information.