Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #136  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I'm here. I am unable to walk without crutches. This stuff really is crazy painful. Just imagine the throbbing of a bad toothache but in your big toe. That's when the pain is mild. Sometimes it feels like my toe is on fire. It gets so fierce my blood pressure and pulse sky rocket and I breakout in heavy sweats sitting here on my butt. I have scripts for nsaids but haven't used them. Ibuprofen seems to give similar results with less side effects.

I decided to pull myself out of ketosis a month earlier than planned. Rapid weight loss in the middle of a gouty attack will just worsen and prolong it. In fact, I have read online a few times and been advised by another gout sufferer not to lose weight during an episode. Sigh. What I should and shouldn't eat is also driving me crazy. So far I have eaten potatoes and bananas to get the carbs up and out of ketosis. I don't like potatoes anymore. I had them with eggs twice and I make a pudding with bananas coconut cream and avocado that is kind of fun. Starch up and fructose down seems like the smarter move though. I'm not interested in food and having a hard time getting the calories up. How times have changed, eh? Last April I could knock out a couple thousand calories for breakfast with donuts and foo foo coffee.

As of right now, 9:10am pdt, with no ibuprofen, the pain is at it's lowest point since this began. I need to get to the grocery store, but I fear not having my toe elevated for that long.

Good morning everyone. Keep up the good work if you're doing it or get on it if you aren't!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

having my Big Arse Salad at my desk, greens, radish, celery, carrot, heriloom cherry tomatoes, and blue berries, with vinegar, EEVO and garlic dressing....along with 2 egg cups we baked off last night, (6 eggs, 1 cup cheese, shredded vegs, hot peppers, baked into 6 muffin cups) WOW this is a great brunch, I could really like this.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #138  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Glad to see you are OK, Bob. I will say a little prayer that the pain will go away very soon. Remember you have lost 68 frickin pounds which is amazing and focus on maintenance until you heal.

I am starting my first IF today, I forgot that the last time I took off weight I fasted every 3 days for a day. I actually got 25 pounds off before I plateaued. If I only had appreciated what I had accomplished instead of getting all depressed 'cause I was stuck, I wouldn't be losing the same 25 pounds again.

Hugs,
Sandy
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #139  
hunt and gatherer

Thanks Sandy, still feeling much better over here. I treated it about three dozen ways. Now I'm wondering what the heck worked. Just two ibuprofens about 6 hours ago. It hurts with weight on it, but I can avoid that gladly for now.

Mikkijoe, that's a great salad -- very primal. Nice. You sound just like me when I started eating this way. I loved it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the food. Now, feeling free to eat rice and potatoes if I want because of this condition, or even have fun with a bunch of fruit... I'm just not interested.

I like real names for a forum like this too, but don't expect me to keep them all straight.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #140  

Well Bob, you are unable to move around, you need a distraction, so YES I do expect you to keep all the names straight! LOL

I am excited about this plan--and about my Becks book study too--combine the two and it gives me hope. I am tired of not having hope, I am tired of being overweight, and above all I am physically TIRED! that is why the HOPE of this program is so important for me
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Can't get my stinking picture to upload....it's a crap picture to but it was something......

I don't eat breakfast anymore and that is totally fine with me. I ate a big lunch though (greek salad and pepper and cheese fritata). I have two friends come over for lunch every week and I tend to eat more when I'm socializing for some reason. So I'm skipping dinner because I'm still full.....but made some soy and ginger nuts to snack on.

This way of eating is pretty easy when you get on a roll.

Hang in there Bob.....maybe in the long run, you will find that something good comes out of all of this. If it were me I'd be head diving into some Ben & Jerry's so I'm glad you are not me.

Nice pics ladies......Sandy you look alittle like Linda Evans (from big valley I think???)

MikkiJoe what is the beck book you are talking about? I'm a sucker for books.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #142  

Wild Violets: The Becks Diet Solution--it is about cognitive therapy. takes a 6 week, step by step approach to retraining your brain, stopping sabatoging thinking and actions. Good stuff, and I am a sucker for a good book too at times
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

I think I have that book somewhere or I have picked it up at the book store. I think cognitive therapy is very important for weightloss.......have you ever heard of EFT??? It's pretty simple and somewhat helpful.....when you use it.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #144  

well in my many years of dieting I have been pretty diciplined about tracking what I eat. I usually track on Sparks, but just changed to fitday. I must say I am surprised in the difference I have noticed in the three days of tracking primal, vs the numerous 3 day periods I can pull from eating low fat, calorie restricted, and fairly processed free diet.

Typically I am very low in magnesium, manganese, B12 and B6, and iron.
With Primal I am at or over RDA for all of those, plus high in vitamin A and Niacin.......check that out! I am very impressed
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Ibuprofen is a very effective but often overlooked medication.

Ya know what? I'm not finding steak to be very long-filling. Roast beef or a nice fatty pork chop work much better for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #146  
hunt and gatherer

Good morning,

Getting a little better all the time here. No need for crutches but I have a profound limp and can only put wieght on the side of my foot away from my big toe. A cane comes in handy. I'm mastering the Dr. House cane walking style.

I ate chocolate chip cookies and milk last night when the pain increased. It does advance at night. Ooops. 20%!

MikkiJoe, I spent hours in the Becks threads when I first got here. I think the mental aspect of any life changing, health improving effort is more important than the physical effort or the tools. In other words, whatever you do and use to kick smoking or lose weight is not as important as your mental state. There's many proven routes to success but all the routes are also proven to fail. Think weight watchers and nicotine strips. Works for some, fails for most. The difference in success and failure is often between our ears.

I'm feeling bloated from the carbs and massive fluid consumption. I'm fairly convinced my gout was brought on by dehydration (and the high uric acid levels caused by fasting weight loss). Certainly keeping fluid very high help the kidneys get rid of the uric acid that causes the painful joint crystals.

I'm ready to get back to low carbing armed with information that hopefully should prevent this from happening again. I'm going to break a rule and weigh myself in a couple days to see what kind of damage I've done. I'm not going to fast more than 16 hours (earlier dinner and skip breakfast) until I get my uric acid levels measured and learn a little more about this condition. Weight loss will be slow and more importantly, pain free.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #147  

Well last night we tried something new, I am not a fan of chicken livers, but do like beef if it is cooked well---and cooked by someone else! But, anyway, two nights ago we had pork chops that were inspired by a seasoning on a recipe on MDA, then we upped the red pepper, and tried out the original recipe for Cajun Chicken Livers It was VERY good, like I said we kicked up the spice alot, but once it is served on a bed of salad, and tossed with the lemon dressing it gives an entirely different taste.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #148  
Starting Over After Baby

S/C/G: 193/193/143

Height: 5'6"

I'm considering whether to switch from Weight Watcher's to Primal. Questions for all of you:

Did you lose the weight on another diet before switching to Primal/Paleo eating?

Do you count calories while eating Primal/Paleo to lose weight?

Do you modify your Paleo/Primal eating levels as your weight goes down?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #149  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Default Finally...

Lost 2+ pounds on the fast yesterday. So I am back to eating fat and protein today with under 50 carbs.

I was beginning to wonder if the scale would ever budge. I think I already lost the excess water weight last week but we will see tomorrow if the scale goes up eating primal.

My daughter is sick today so I have three little grandkids to chase around. I thought I was going to pass out this morning as I didn't get a chance to eat before they came over and I was still in a fasting state. I can fast if I have absolute SILENCE!!

Hugs,
Sandy
Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
having my Big Arse Salad at my desk, greens, radish, celery, carrot, heriloom cherry tomatoes, and blue berries, with vinegar, EEVO and garlic dressing....along with 2 egg cups we baked off last night, (6 eggs, 1 cup cheese, shredded vegs, hot peppers, baked into 6 muffin cups) WOW this is a great brunch, I could really like this.
Sounds delicious!
Closed Thread