Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #31  
Ilene the Bean

Susan -- Grassfed beef

Today has been very good, I feel good too... go figure when you eat good you feel good... who woulda thunk ....

Off to the gym in a few minutes... I didn't feel like running today it was just too hot...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #32  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeleA View Post
BibBob: Thanks for those great links How does Mark S suggest you determine that avoiding dairy is "needed"?
If you cannot tolerate it then you need to avoid it. Lactose intolerance is pretty common. Dairy in general isn't highly recommended in paleo diets. The diet idea germinated from anthropological archeology. As the story goes, man evolved for a few hundred thousand years to eat specific foods. Paleolithic people, genetically identical to us, did not suffer the diseases of civilization, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. Those diseases arrived with the agricultural revolution, which gave us grains, processed legumes (also a no no), fruit was selected for sweetness and made less healthy, and finally, dairy became part of our diet. So dairy isn't paleo. BUT Dr. Harris and several others refute the idea of strict paleo re-enactment dieting. It's unrealistic and some neolithic foods are quite healthy, like cream and butter, plain yogurt, raw milk and hard cheeses. Anyway, who's to say caveman didn't kill a lot of nursing animals (the young were easy prey, making the mothers vulnerable too) and immediately use that milk? If you tolerate and enjoy dairy, don't deny yourself. We are denying enough with pancakes and pizza, donchya think?
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #33  
hunt and gatherer

I'm jealous of the meat, Susan. I have found a great deal on a cow, but I need at least a half dozen people to split it with. It only comes to $3 a pound, but I have to buy 650 pounds!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I was a little worried about freezer space because I have a small-ish upright but it fits very nicely and I have lots of room left over. Maybe room for some of that holistic pork I found.
Jim(the organic farmer) gathers up a few old customers anytime he has a cattlebeast that's ready to slaughter. I just happened to meet up with him when he was looking for a 4th. Can your supplier put you on a list or something?

The steak we had for supper last night was great. It tastes like I remember meat tasting when I was a kid.

Did some walking yesterday and was on the elliptical for 20 minutes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #35  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Hi everybody

Haven't been around for a while; it's hard to believe in this day and age but once the trees leaf out around here, my Internet connection is just awful. It will connect, but then kicks me off every few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyway I am here and reading when I can... I'm afraid to say I've been more 80% OFF and 20% ON but am trying to change that...

Lots of great posts, and great results too.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #36  
hunt and gatherer

Well my first Primal Winter fast lasted 42 hours, with significant cravings between hours 18-22, then a cakewalk to a BAS yesterday. I even slept better than normal on an empty stomach, most likely because I slipped into bed early to avoid my late night snack addiction. This idea may actually work to end that issue.

Hi Fressca! Your sig made me say, "**** yeah!"

Susan, you're just rubbing it in describing the taste, ya know.

I'm in the stinkin' desert here. That steer I want is 3 hours away, and that is the closest I can find. I asked him about splitting one with others in my situation, and he said he didn't coordinate stuff like that because his demand is so high there's no need. He did tell me others have succeeded with classified ads. "Want to split a grass fed steer? 100 pounds for $300 dollars. Call me." Something like that. I may do it.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #37  
Determined.

S/C/G: 233/233/140

Smile

Cheers for that dairy info BibBob.
I find so long as I'm having bone broth (sounds yuck, but it's just long cooked broth) my cravings for cheese disappear. So I'll keep on with that for now. I feel confident I'm getting enough calcium and magnesium. Would like to enjoy small amounts of cheese, yogurt etc again eventually.
...Hope you can find someone or a group to share a beast with BibBob. You'd think anyone who'd watched Food Inc would be really keen to get some grassfed beef!

I've commited to a 10 day 100% compliance challenge. So I'll weigh in after that.
Heading to the Farmer's market tomorrow morning to get well stocked up.

Hope everyone's having a great day!
AdeleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #38  
Ilene the Bean

I've had 3 wonderful Primal Days ...

Tonight I made a coleslaw it was really good...

Here's the recipe:

Honey Apple Coleslaw
• 2 c packaged coleslaw mix
• 1 unpeeled tart apple, chopped
• 1/2 c chopped celery
• 1/2 c chopped green pepper
• 1/4 c olive oil
• 2 T lemon juice
• 2 T honey
• 1 t celery seed
In a bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, apple, celery and green peppers. In a small bowl,
whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over coleslaw and toss to coat.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #39  
Determined.

S/C/G: 233/233/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.
Wendy, did you find a recipe? - I have used the one here:
www dot alchemille.blogspot.com/2009/06/gluten-free-paleo-scd-rustic-pizza.html

I use chestnut flour a lot in baking for my kids, but will avoid it myself b/c it's high in carbs. Pretty sure you could confidently substitute coconut flour
I always use an egg in grain free/specific carbohydrate crusts and "pastry", that seems to be the biggest key to success.
AdeleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #40  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
t.

Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.
I forgot to post this when you originally asked about it here is one I found:

Flourless Pie Crust
• 1 1/4 c almond meal
• 2/3 c coconut oil
• 1/4 t sea salt
• 5 T icy water
Combine almond flour and sea salt in a mixing bowl, stir in coconut oil and mix until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in water, 1 T at a time, until dough is formed. Refrigerate
until ready to use. When ready, roll out and place in a pie dish. Fill your favorite fruit
(apples, blueberries) and bake at 450 F for 15 minutes or until crust turns a rich golden
brown.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #41  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I look at dairy as a compromise, a substitute for the paleo food I'm not willing to eat. Yogurt may be a poor substitute for insects or animal skin and bones, but I'd rather get my calcium from supplements and occasional dairy (though I do eat the bones from canned fish).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I do not eat canned salmon bones. Isn't that funny? I'm normally not fussy at all and eat almost anything.

I need to go to the big grocery store 45 minutes from here. I'm out of coconut milk! Oh and I have been putting coconut oil in my coffee. It is nice! And my top lip is so soft!

I only have today off and I don't really feel like doing anything. I think I'll scoot out soon and then be a home body.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #43  
Ilene the Bean

Susan, I noticed the same thing about coconut oil in coffee my top lip is so soft...

I do eat the bones in salmon, I mash them... I also eat the sardine bones...

This morning I had a 2 egg spinach omellette made in BUTTER ... I still feel guilty, I didn't put a lot in because of the guilt ...

The last few days I've been wayyy under 50g carbs ... It is definitely getting easier...

Ok, gotta get back to work
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #44  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I'm sitting here drinking coffee with coconut oil... never thought about the soft upper lip aspect Ilene and Susan - but you're right!

Yesterday was a good day, eating wise. I did have two cookies after dinner but the rest of the day was so primal, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Bob - Glad you like the siggy, those are two of many inspiring women here on the board. And just as I was thinking of changing it, too!

I'm going to look around for some grassfed beef in my neck of the woods. Do love salmon - and the bones, though other fish bones, yuck. Haven't got round to opening my sardines yet (I'm a chicken!) tho last week I had an interesting appy at the home of someone who is heavily into health:

1 jar of anchovies, well rinsed
1 cup of parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil

Put the rinsed anchovies in a serving dish, just large enough to hold them. Pour over the lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with parsley. Decorate the serving dish with lemon slices, and serve with crackers (or eat it off a spoon if you're brave and paleo!)

I wasn't thrilled to try this (not an anchovy fan, they're ugly little suckers!), but it was good - didn't taste fishy at all.

Last edited by Fressca; 06-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Last night:
package of portobella mushrooms
3 leeks, chopped (to promote good gut flora)
frozen pre-cooked fajita chicken strips
mexican seasoning - quite a bit
salt
butter - 1 T

sautee leeks in butter until they start to soften
add other ingredients
sauteed together until heated through
... totally yummy
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote