3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Staying Primal in June!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/203367-staying-primal-june.html)

Ilene 06-01-2010 05:48 PM

Way to go guys and gals who are losing :woohoo: sooo proud of you !!

Bob this slackers will definitely pick it up in June... I don't give a darn where I am I will be Primal... Tonight's first challenge is the theatre popcorn tonight we're going to see Sex in the City 2, can't wait... I will not eat popcorn, I will brink almonds and green tea....

Ilene 06-01-2010 06:10 PM

CJ -- What a great site and links...

AdeleA 06-01-2010 06:26 PM

I'll post more later but just a quick check in to sign up for a Primal ride in June. If I'm 7lbs down at the other end of this month I'll be rapt! :)

Congrats to all those who've done so well in May, numbers-wise, and commitment-wise!

Best,
Adele.

wendyland 06-01-2010 11:15 PM

Wow, I'm impressed that so many people did so well this month.

I've been sick the last few days. Another cold. My husband and daughter had it earlier in the week. I thought I was going to be spared, but NOOOO!

I'm down about 4 lbs for the month. I lost about an inch off of my waist. I'm most happy that I haven't felt like binging or sneaking food when no one is looking. So, I'm really happy with my progress even if I didn't lose weight.

Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.

Rosinante 06-02-2010 02:20 AM

Would you mind pointing me towards some real info about Primal? All that google yields are reviews claiming you have to eat raw meat and so on.

I'm happy with what I'm doing - I'm just curious about others! Thanks. Oh and congratulations on all those good stats!

AdeleA 06-02-2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosinante (Post 3319776)
Would you mind pointing me towards some real info about Primal? All that google yields are reviews claiming you have to eat raw meat and so on.

I'm happy with what I'm doing - I'm just curious about others! Thanks. Oh and congratulations on all those good stats!

Oh - THAT Primal diet. Hehe - that's a different one - I struck that one on Wikipedia....I could hear the sound of screeching brakes in my head as I came to the part about raw meat.

If you google "Primal Blueprint" or "Mark Sisson" you'll read about the Paleo type diet we're mostly following on this thread. "Mark's Daily Apple" is a great website to start with. Sorry I can't post an actual link because I don't have enough posts under my belt for those kind of privileges yet!

Best, Adele. :)

CJZee 06-02-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosinante (Post 3319776)

Hi Rosinante -- I just found this explanation which I think is great. Here is the link (each little section has a +/- sign after which opens up more links for more reading if you want.)
http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html

The basic food part of paleo/primal is simple, though:
The core of paleo is the diet: it eschews grains, sugars, and modern vegetable oils in favor of high-quality meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables.

I want to hear more about your "pig2twig" plan!!! CJ

CJZee 06-02-2010 06:56 AM

Ilene - you are sooooo close to your goal, I suspect it gets harder and harder as you close in on it. Thanks for the comments on the site ... I really thought it was the best “all-in-one” explanation that I have seen, and it has good links to good sites for further info.

Susan - congrats on basically maintaining except for your boobs and butt ... both good places to perk up a little, no? Probably due to your exercise, there are big muscle groups in your chest and glutes.

Kathy - I remember it took me a long time to even post a ticker because I didn’t want to have my weight out there for all the world to see. But now it’s become second nature. The good thing is you have a GREAT basic body shape, very hourglass, so you will rock this weight-loss thing.

Jennylou - you have done sooooo well, yay!

Ok, BibBob - weren’t you the one complaining you thought you weren’t losing weight fast enough?? And you lost TWENTY-SEVEN FRACKALACKIN’ POUNDS? That’s nearly a pound a day!

Hi Adele - we're riding the June Primal Train. If we just stay on our train, it will take us where we want to go.

Wendy - the best thing about this is the lack of hunger ... the kind of hunger that’s “not real”. Plus, we can eat when we want and what we want just so it’s protein or low-carb veggies or fats. It’s so wonderful.

srmb60 06-02-2010 07:58 AM

Good morning!

I got a pm with a question just like Rosinante's! I'm glad I never found those pages ... yuck! I sent her a link to Mark's Daily Apple too. I wonder where that poster went?

I think I've got the hang of the body fat thing on my scale. 23.9% and I'm a little dehydrated. Sounds about right.

Rosinante 06-02-2010 08:26 AM

Phew! is all I can say - although I knew you were all too sensible to be walking round taking bites out of passing cattle. :)

It's certainly working well for you!

srmb60 06-02-2010 09:16 AM

My grassfed beef is coming today! I'm so excited. I love to have a freezer full of good food.

And Rosinante, I'm going to cook it ;)

Ilene 06-02-2010 09:23 AM

Hey gang and :welcome: to the newbies...

This morning I had coconut oil in my coffee, that was my breakfast because I have NOTHING left to eat, no eggs, nothing, and you know it wasn't so bad, I'm not hungry ....So this afternoon is grocery time... I also noticed that I don't lose weight as fast when I am not eating crucifurous (sp) vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, etc... so that is definitely on the listthis afternoon...

Ok, back later, gotta pretend to work...

BibBob 06-02-2010 01:06 PM

CJZee, it's pretty well documented that men drop wieght a bit faster than women. As obese as I was at the start of this, my all time high, I have an advantage for a few more months before I start fighting for every pound. In the past my big wall/plateau has been around 290. I expect to be there by the end of July. That's 51 more pounds in the next two months. The last time I was serious about weight loss, I juice fasted and lost 50 pounds in one month. I took off a total of 80 before the SAD eating habits started up again.

I second your comments to Ilene and Susan. For fat old me to call those near goals slackers is a bit ironic, eh? :) I can't wait to be within ten pounds and still here working on it. The support/accountability is probably key to maintenance. At least it is something I have never tried before.

BibBob 06-02-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosinante (Post 3320001)
Phew! is all I can say - although I knew you were all too sensible to be walking round taking bites out of passing cattle. :)

It's certainly working well for you!

One of the things I like about this lifestyle is how varied it is. I have a ton of respect for the Atkins diet and other low carb diets too. I am drawn to them because diabetes runs in my family and getting off the carbs voluntarily without diabetes and on doctor's orders just seems like a smart pre emptive thing to do. But the Primal/Paleo world really speaks to me in terms science and a lifestyle (not just a diet). Mostly it has something that I need -- Simple Understandable Rules:

Give up refined sugar.
Give up grains.
Avoid refined seed and veg oils.

Do that and you're practically primal.

Then some lesser advice:

Keep starchy veggies like potatoes minimized.
Keep rice minimized. (I have eliminated both)
Keep sweet and starchy fruits minimized.
Avoid things highly processed.

So you:

Eat berries.
Eat meat.
Eat eggs.
Eat veggies.
Eat nuts.
Eat dairy if you like.
Eat as clean as your budget allows (pastured meats and organic veggies)

And mostly eat really hearty good meals without worry or stingent instructions - a way of life, not a diet. You do not need a book or a guide.

From there it is up to you to live the way you want and experiment with paleo approaches. You can do dairy if you like. You can avoid it if needed.

Dr. Harris of the PaNu blog convinced me, and I did a ton of reading.

Get started
What he eats (amazing he's so lean)
What if you're obese with issues.

So simple even a caveman can do it!

So why Primal instead of Paleo? Mark Sisson, has laid out a polished and realistic blueprint for living to paleo standards supported by a ton of science and a very important and realistic 80/20 rule. He understand we will all eventually cheat. So live 80% primal and 20% however you like. That works for me.

Oh, I am also a huge fan of the Doctors Eades. You can read their blogs for days to learn about paleo dieting. Their clinical success with patients is really impressive.

AdeleA 06-02-2010 06:23 PM

CJZee - My new word of the month: "FRACKALACKIN’" - LOL Love it.

BibBob: Thanks for those great links :) How does Mark S suggest you determine that avoiding dairy is "needed"?

I have a kind of very mild alllergic reaction in the back of the nose/throat after eating dairy so I plan to avoid it fully for a few months at least. (I make specific carbohydrate yogurt - fermented 24 hours - for my kids but I plan even avoiding that for now. I'll have bone broth for minerals in the mean time.)

Ilene I've been doing the coconut oil in the coffee thing too. Just a couple of teaspoons. I like it. :) The coffee is more "sustaining" than straight black how I'm used to taking it.
It doesn't detract from the flavour (my oil is very mild tasting) or from the pleasure for me so it's an easy switch at home but I'm still trying to work out a tidy way to transport a portion of oil that I can discreetly put in my espresso when I have one out at a cafe.

Yay for today's fresh meat arrival Susan. You'll feel great with that all put away in the freezer.

I weighed myself. Thought I'd get my fracalackin' big girls pants on and just do it.
Waaah. 233 pounds. Blah. Oh well, that's over with. No hiding from the truth now! Onwards and downwards with those numbers. About 90 to goal...I think that's the upper side of what I'd guessed.

I'll get a ticker when I'm allowed one! :D

Adele.