Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #31  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiedoop View Post
Because I'm SO frustrated about my weight. I have tried every diet known to man on top of the fact that when not dieting, I don't overeat more than once a week, and then only to a "reasonable" extent -- in other words, not a whole big serving of something at a diner AND dessert, or a pint of ice cream or box of cookies, but maybe a hamburger with the bun with a side of slaw, or ONE slice of pizza at lunch, or something... my calorie intake is usually around 1,000, and it will go over 1,500 once in a while and not much over!! Yes, I've tried eating more in case my body was low metabolism cause it needed more calories. I GAIN WEIGHT. I'VE TRIED IT ALL -- VEGAN, Weight Watchers, rice diet, Somersizing, slow carb, writing down my intake .. I go by the book but the book doesn't help me. There have been only three things that have ever caused weightloss for me --

1) My oatmeal and chicken "diet", my own system when I had very little money but didn't want to give up on trying to lose weight. NOT brown rice, whole grain breads and beans. I lose no weight when I eat those. Problem here is obvious: who wants to eat just those two for the rest of their lives? Plus, when I went on an antidepressant, it stopped working anyway and that's the real reason I stopped -- the scale started going up anyway.
Uhhhhh, babe...

You're not eating *enough*.

Depending on your starting weight and exercise level, you should at LEAST get a good 1200-1500 calories a day.
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

It's just so hard to lose weight!!!....I wish I had a magic plan/answer but you have to find what works for you.

Maybe this will help? I thought it helped me....

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...round-part-ii/

Not about the WOE (i am doing low carb) but more for the part about 'controlling your elephant'....

good luck!
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #33  
Luddite

S/C/G: 177/168/150

Height: 5'8"

kaplods- I love your posts. You should write a book!

oopsiedoop- I'm another who loses weight verrry slowly from dieting. I made major healthy changes to my diet last May, and up until recently was stuck at a 7 pound loss! The only way my body will give up its stranglehold on the extra pounds is exercise (cardio AND weight training), so I'm making that my primary focus. Maybe you're the same way?

Also, I do low-carb because it's the only way I was able to stop my almost daily binges. For me, all calories are definitely not created equal!
icicle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

Icicle- I couldn't agree more. Ever since I lowered my carbs significantly I lost weight and eliminated my daily binges. I eat when I'm hungry (sometimes I even have to remind myself to eat when it's time). When I only restricted calories, I was constantly hungry and using up so many calories on carbs...only to be craving more.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #35  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle84 View Post
kaplods- I love your posts. You should write a book!
Colleen, this is a recurring theme for you lately! Even if you just cut and paste your posts...DO IT!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #36  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

great thread! it's obvious that there is much much more to losing weight, than "excess calories in=overweight."

just look around at your friends who can eat anything... don't exercise and stay thin!

It's hereditary... no doubt. And it can come from relatives way back... all my family is thin. Or so I thought turns out my great grandmother was morbidly obese...

There is a bio-chemical link somewhere and I agree that the key is carb intake.. as stated before serotonin plays a very important part in the processing of carbs/sugar by the body.

Some people are just carb sensitive...
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote