Old 04-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

You all have been busy chattin it up today. Almost exhausting reading it. I don't know if I have the energy left to tell you about my day.

First: Tammy is doing pretty well. I switched her to lamb based food instead of chicken last weekend and I mix a little canned in with her dry too and she has been eating like a horse. I have her up to a consistent 4 cups a day. She threw up a couple tablespoons this morning but that's all I've seen in almost a week which is fantastic for her.

We had our last obedience class last night. I wasn't thrilled with this class. I called a guy who gives private lessons and he came over tonight. He was appalled at how wild Kobe can get-even though I hired him to work with Tammy. We ended up working with both of them. I have some homework for the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to get Tammy up to being a certified therapy dog so I have introduced him (the trainer) to the requirements for this. He's going to get me through the Canine Good Citizenship Test which is most of the requirements for the therapy test.

My day at the nursing home was unbelievable. It started out with a patient who decided to have him self dropped off in a cab and asked to be admitted. BTW, you don't do that at a nursing home. It's not like an ER. So, the DON accosts me as soon as I walk in the door asking me if I'll evaluate this patient. He's actually kind of complicated-and on top of that, he's incontinent and has to be cleaned up. It was a great start to my day. Then, someone on one unit had made of a list of 9 patients on their unit they want me to see. I usually see 9 patients in an entire day! I don't know what got into them. I'm thinking maybe someone was having PMS that day or something. The first chart I open to evaluate for them, the patient has schizophrenia, mental ******ation, dementia, and she's blind. And they want me to do exactly what about her behavior???? I almost blew my lid at this point. I did do a few good things today I think, including taking someone off about 4 drugs they didn't need to be on. Okay, I'm finished venting now.

SIC-I almost became an oncologist. It takes a particular personality to do that. At my job in PA, I worked with cancer patients as a psychiatrist. It was my favorite part of the job.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #92  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Petra I am so sorry you had that experience. We once had someone in a conversion van stop and see if we could change thier mother, she was on a stretcher in the back. bed bound. she was in a NH in fl and it was horrible they were bringing her up north so she had not been changed from florida to upstate ny, we sent a few aides out to the van and changed her and got her cleaned and sent them on their way. (they were driving nonstop, but that had to have been about 20 hours or so she was in that same position). I wonder what goes through peoples minds when they do things like this, or dropping them off at the nh. we had one take their parent out for icecream and droped them off at the nh and left them and never did get them their icecream!!!

PS Danny is laying here farting away and making me gag so bad!!! i have lost any appetite I have had!!
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #93  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Quote:
Why did you have to miss the fun, play in the water day? No fair. Why couldn't you have missed, say, "let's immunize everyone and watch them cry day" or "Lets bring people in to entertain but have them wear big scary costumes that freak kids out by mistake day" or "We must talk to crazy parents day'? It's just not fair. I hope you feel better though and that either bloke that you fancy or hot sultry chick that you fancy falls at your feet soon...or, WAIT THIS IS BETTER, they fight over you! Awesome.
OMG, I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD here! Bless you.

And I confess, Aud's suggestion that they fight in chocolate pudding is...quite distracting. My God.

...okay, I think I had other things to post, and comments to make on people's posts, but...I'll be in my bunk.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #94  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
...okay, I think I had other things to post, and comments to make on people's posts, but...I'll be in my bunk.
I need to get ready for class but THIS! You, my good lass, are a Firefly fan! It makes me love you even more! That's my favorite show of all times.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

SIC-you jinxed me. Tammy didn't eat her breakfast this morning. She isn't puking either but maybe it isn't as good as I thought. I won't panic yet. Just one meal. I'm on call this week so that means even though it's Fri, it doesn't mean anything to me. I still have to work this weekend. Starting with going to sign off on 2 consults our NP did at our sister hospital this morning. One of them is an adolescent. Keep in mind, I usually see geriatric patients, so this is not exactly my favorite patient population.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Fay: Having the pleasure of being a teacher's aide one summer early in college exposed me to each of those joyful events. What makes it even zanier is that the class was special ed. Probably the best behaved class in the school but some of the things that happend...total crack up. I had one 6 year old who didn't realize that just because you could not see someone you could still hear them. We took the kids bowling one day and she got mad when we had to leave. I took her to the bathroom and she is inside the stall going, "***&ole teacher...***&hole teacher". I thought it was rather ingenious of her. She found a way to get it off her chest! Sometimes I think we are so unfair to kids because they are not really allowed to react to anything. "What did you say to me?", "Did you take a tone with me?", "What kind of face are you pulling?", "Don't huff?". God. I think about how often I do that stuff all day and I wonder where and when kids get to express their frustration.

Petra: Sorry about Tammy. Darn. Darn. Darn.

Double darn.

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #97  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasus40 View Post
what is up with peach I last remember she had wls as did jiffy. I lost track of them long ago.
I saw them both a few weeks ago. Jiffy is still her beautiful self and her sister Peachie looks wonderful too. They both did an amazing job with their WLS. Jiffy posts on the WLS boards and every now and then, Peachie will pop in.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #98  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

now why do I have the urge for pudding

stop it

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #99  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Quote:
I need to get ready for class but THIS! You, my good lass, are a Firefly fan! It makes me love you even more! That's my favorite show of all times.
My sistah! Oh, lord, you'd better believe it. I adore Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel beyond my power to express (suffice it to say that I've been an active member of an online Whedon-centric community for six or seven years now, and have twice flown to the West Coast of the USA [once from the UK, once from Egypt] to meet up with my Invisible Internet Friends en mass) - but Firefly I love even more. Damn. The writing, the fantastic ensemble of actors, and all the fabulous little details of world-building in the sets, the costumes, the gadgetry - I just LOVE that show. Love Love Love. I got to see Serenity when it premiered at the Edinburgh Festival, and I've bought the graphic novel, and I have the soundtrack... but, man, I wish I still had episodes of the damn show to look forward to!

::shakes tiny fist at the sky::

Ahem. Yes. So - in breaking news, Fay is still a geek. Yep. Still a geek. Most definitely.

(In fact on Sunday I'm going to go along to dip my toe into an RPG for the first time. It's a group whose existence I know about because there was talk of them having a Serenity RPG...but it never got off the ground. Damn it. So I'm going to go watch them do Vampires instead, and think about joining in - I've never actually done D&D, but heaven knows I adore storytelling, so it may just be my cup of tea...)

Quote:
Sometimes I think we are so unfair to kids because they are not really allowed to react to anything. "What did you say to me?", "Did you take a tone with me?", "What kind of face are you pulling?", "Don't huff?". God. I think about how often I do that stuff all day and I wonder where and when kids get to express their frustration.
Heh. I feel very lucky now, actually - I can honestly say that my classroom's a pretty darned happy and supportive environment, and I do my damnedest to give the kids the chance to talk about their problems and frustrations and to help each other to deal with them. And I don't ask unreasonable things of them, and do take care to explain why things happen, or why I might have to veto something they want to do. I think we all have quite a lot of fun, and I really don't think that they're secretly cheesed off with me about stuff.

(Although, my God, there was an incident in Georgia that I read about a few days ago where a load of 8 year olds were planning to assault or kill their teacher, and had brought in various weapons and assigned people various duties to make the assault happen - that was just CHILLING!)

Petra - wishing you good karma for Tammy!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #100  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
My sistah! Oh, lord, you'd better believe it. I adore Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel beyond my power to express (suffice it to say that I've been an active member of an online Whedon-centric community for six or seven years now, and have twice flown to the West Coast of the USA [once from the UK, once from Egypt] to meet up with my Invisible Internet Friends en mass) - but Firefly I love even more. Damn. The writing, the fantastic ensemble of actors, and all the fabulous little details of world-building in the sets, the costumes, the gadgetry - I just LOVE that show. Love Love Love. I got to see Serenity when it premiered at the Edinburgh Festival, and I've bought the graphic novel, and I have the soundtrack... but, man, I wish I still had episodes of the damn show to look forward to!

::shakes tiny fist at the sky::

Ahem. Yes. So - in breaking news, Fay is still a geek. Yep. Still a geek. Most definitely.

(In fact on Sunday I'm going to go along to dip my toe into an RPG for the first time. It's a group whose existence I know about because there was talk of them having a Serenity RPG...but it never got off the ground. Damn it. So I'm going to go watch them do Vampires instead, and think about joining in - I've never actually done D&D, but heaven knows I adore storytelling, so it may just be my cup of tea...)
Girl, it's like we're cut from the same cloth I'm a geek and proud! I do play D&D and have played Vampire: The Masquerade (which is the one I think you're talking about--it's either Masquerade or Dark Ages, or some such). I also LARP (Live Action Role Playing), where you create a character like in D&D...but you go to a camp with a bunch of others and you embody your character for a weekend. Think Renaissance Faire meets Improv! Your character gains skills, life points, etc. the more often you play.

Ahem. Yes...I'm a nerd. I think you'll have fun doing an RPG! Let me know how it goes I saw a "sneak preview" of Serenity a couple months before it was released in theaters, down in Connecticut! It was a rough cut--some of the special effects were missing. But it was so hard not to talk about it with my friends who didn't have tickets to go for a solid few months!! I wasn't a fan of Buffy or Angel before I was exposed to Firefly...and unfortunately, it had already been canceled when I was exposed. Firefly is so compelling: great characters, witty dialog, exciting plots and ongoing story lines.... Damn you, Fox--canceling the best show ever made.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #101  

Now I want to be a geek too!!! I was a huge Buffy fan when it was on. LLLooovvvvveddd it. Funny and exciting at the same time. My husband cursed the television elves that one season when Buffy sacrificed herself for Dawn. The show ended that night and I screamed (probably in a chardonnay induced haze) "WTF! Buffy just died!!!!" Then I had to wait until the next season to see how things might resolve but didn't even know if there was going to be a next season. Lord I was depressed. I also loved Twin Peaks and adore Dexter.

Now I need to find out more about Firefly. Fay you sound like the perfect teacher being one that encourages free expression. I have always tried to do that with my DD9 and so far she has turned out sweet and kind and will go to any length to avoid making a cruel comment. Even when she is mad. The most difficult struggle over the past couple of years has been to constantly tell her that sometimes we just get mad. Sometimes we don't know why we are in a nasty mood or feel depressed or just want to cry. Hopefully it does not last long. Easier to jolly her out of things when she was younger. A trip to Target, an Icee and a browse of the pink girly ailse used to solve all the problems. Come to think of it...I think that still works for me (without the Icee and the girly aisle though). I like to go first to the doggie treast aisle, then cute housewares and of course, if there is a holiday on the horizon, the holiday aisle. Halloween is my fave. We start decorating at the beginning of September but I start shopping the minute that stuff goes out. God I love it.

SC
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #102  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

WAAAAAAAAA . . . now I wanna Role Play & find out wth Firefly is/was!

Hang in there with Fartin' Danny, nasus . . had the exact same Ewwww-Moment with our Westie Ginger last night!

Who had the doggie that ran & ran to the point of choking on the leash? The tried the halter-leash? Was it you scalmie?

I remember reading that & ROTF - described Ging to a T!

Found a solution for those problematic "walks" - I now ride the old fashioned bike (no gears/huge old time bike) & she can now run to her hearts content - which is an unbelievably long way . . . while I PEDAL along . . . after about 20 minutes of streakingthru the neighborhood - she's manageable enuf to actually WALK.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #103  

Oh goodness...Aud I'm the one with the rotund English Cocker that "farts to beat the band". I'm glad for a confirmation that Danny is a dog though. I wasn't sure and I was thinking, "Gee, I hope Danny isn't a human and I missed something and I have randomly started talking about my dog. Alas, my dogs nearly choke themselves on their walks as well. My key is to let them chase a tennis ball in the front yard for awhile until they are panting and THEN do the walk. So much for actually disciplining them. tee hee.

I'm not feeling so bad about not having any role playing genes because I just realized that my multiple personalities allow me to role play all day long. Right now I'm being "Hypocritical boss that is doing something on the internet during business hours". In about 20 minutes I need to change into "No sense of humor whatsoever contract negotiator". Just like Sybil and Eve. All the personalities are locked in her clammering to get out!

ox
SC
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #104  

Late lunch for me.
You guys make me feel old with the geek talk! I used to keep up with that kinds of thing. I loved fantasy/sci fi and collected comic books, but by the time Buffy the Vampire Slayer came on the air, I had become boring and old! Part of it is my DH who is not a fantasy character in any sense of the word!! Unless he's some sort of villian...
Aud, it was my little mutt Benni who got a harness after she chipped a vertabrae pulling on her choke collar. But she can get out of the harness if it's not pulled pretty tight. Bennie is fast and pretty energetic, but she would never keep up with a bicycle. In fact, I'm pretty sure Benni would purposely run under a bike if she thought she could cause an accident. She's kind of a pain in the butt, but lovable, kind of. Actually right now Benni is sharing the figurative dog house with DH. After seven years, she's decided she wants to sleep with me! The problem is that I'm allergic to dogs! I do all right as long as they stay off the furniture that I want to be on. So Benni has slept with one of the kids all her life. Well, DS moved out and DD15 took his room in the basement. Benni evidently doesn't like the basement very much. Probably it's inconvenient for her to bark at the traffic going by the front window if she's downstairs. For a while she slept on the bed in the spare room/office that was DD's room a few months ago. But poor Benni must have been lonely. I woke up the other night wondering why DH had me pinned againist the side of the bed (it's a water bed). I did what any wife would do, I kicked him a couple of times and pushed a little. When that didn't work, I woke him up and told him to move. He was surprised since he was on the other side of the bed. That's when we realized it was the most stubborn dog known to mankind. She let me kick and push and didn't move a muscle. I had to yell at her and really push to get her off. She's snuck up there a couple of times since. What a pain!
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #105  

My mutt does that! She crawls up next to you, curls up behind your knees or gets in the middle of the bed and then goes completely limp when you try to nudge her to move. She won't even open her little eyes. You would think she is in a doggie coma. Right. Like I'm' going to believe you are asleep? Nice try. The cocker shifts with a minor prod.

O/T: I just had a moving company show up here to take some assorted desks, file cabinets and furniture to our storage unit since some new stuff is being delivered and, o.k. tell me if my expectations are too high, THERE IS CREW OF TWO GUYS AND ONE OF THEM ONLY HAS ONE ARM. I am paying them by the hour and the estimated time to load up and deliver to the other facility has expanded from 2 hours to 4 hours (because one of the movers only has one arm). Lord I'm frustrated. Its not the money (since it isn't my money) but for goodness sake. Am I missing something?

Yikes.

SC