Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Petra: I love Ceasar too!!!!! How is it he can deal with dogs better than we can deal with humans? I enjoy the interaction with the new people as well as the returning folks on the threads. Beachie and Lily really share interesting glimpses into their lives. Beachie told us she was taking a break and I do miss her a lot. Lily has had a lot to deal with lately so I'm sending postive vibes her way.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!!

ox
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #77  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
JG-do you know anything about this concept? I hadn't heard of this previously. I think intuitively we all know that yo-yo dieting leads to a more resistant metabolism but I had not heard it described quite like this.
Actually, yes Petra, I have heard of the "golden shot" before. I can't speak personally regarding it though, as I have no experience with it.

I've only done Atkins once, and have been on it nearly 4 years now. I do belong to several other low carb boards and hear talk all the time of "repeaters" having more difficulties losing the weight. I agree that yo-yo dieting will lead to your metabolism becoming resistant. I, personally am a firm believer in following the plan precisely to avoid failure....but, thats a whole entirely different issue and I'll spare you all from going there

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-20-2008 at 10:58 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 186/150.6/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the welcome everyone and Aud you can call me Monster. I actually prefer it because is says so much about the real me!;o I am starting to get that energized feeling which I think my family isnt so crazy about because I make them clean up and clean out! We are looking forward to a long weekend of yard work and house work. Except Sunday but we should be able to get a lot of work done on Fri and Sat.
I have heard of the "golden shot" also and I am hoping that my body has forgotten that I did this 3 years ago and will think it is the first time I have started it. In DANDR Dr. Atkins mentions a patient who had done it before and lost considerable weight, gained it back and then it took much longer to lost it the second time around. He didnt give any explanation for it but even if it does take me the rest of this year to lose my last 25 I am going to be here anyway! I am exercising way more this time around though so maybe it wont be so bad.
I am looking into that Slow Burn exercise too. I have been wanting to add weight training back into my routine and 30 minutes a week sound good to me. I have 4 children and running around keeping up with them and their activities leaves only a little time for myself. Have a good day everyone!! Off to pick up one from preschool.
monster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #79  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hiya LC'ers!

Got my pantry almost Situated for LC & Mid-Life Success - few more items on my shopping list today and I'm ready to pre-make so much better. I'm energized too monster - even gave blood yesterday evening - nothing like a good bloodletting for what ails ya!

Sugar hasn't been my weakness - but am definitely an addict - poweful trigger for me to say "Aww, the **** with it," ya know? Starches are the evil things in my make-up - my mouth was watering just reading about Ezekial Bread! It helps so much to think of it as an addiction or even as a medical condition - I've noticed that if you tell folks the latter - they quit shoving food at you . . . especially in restaurant situations - if the staff is being kind of blaise-blaise about your carb count questions - if you tell them you are diabetic with a severe allergy condition - sure gets their attention & some answers!

I am allergic to carbohydrates.

On the Golden Shot topic: Think I've got the gist of what this means and so far I've only struggled here on this last go round with LC/during Mid Life/MenoP - I don't think it's the # of times I've attempted LC because when I'm committed to this WOL - the weight still drops like no other. I HAVE noticed that the weight comes off FASTER at this age if I work out with weights.

I've also had incredible cholesterol results each time I commit to this wol. Just incredible.

I pay little attention to MD's on the topic of diet/nutrition - as some of you know, in a former life I was a year away from registering as a dietitian . . . we learned that in most cases MD's take only 6 CREDIT HOURS to be licensed.

We also learned that anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist." Not regulated well.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #80  
aud
lc lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayincalm View Post
Petra: I love Ceasar too!!!!! How is it he can deal with dogs better than we can deal with humans? I enjoy the interaction with the new people as well as the returning folks on the threads. Beachie and Lily really share interesting glimpses into their lives. Beachie told us she was taking a break and I do miss her a lot. Lily has had a lot to deal with lately so I'm sending postive vibes her way . . .

My neph moved from MO to CA as a store mgr/GNC age 23- not knowing a soul . . . he's now at 30 a personal trainer to the very rich and an accomplished artist with a beach studio in Newport . . . the key? THE FREAKIN' DOG WHISPERER GUY!!! Isn't that fantastic???? COMPLETELY changed his life. Neph's works - not to mention his BOD are so beautiful! I think there was a Seminar Series at the heyday of popularity . . . it's just not on here enuf for me to get a real feel for the show tho - but have seen the results to applying the principles!

beachie & lily - I think its tres healthy to shout out to friends we've come to know & care about and in no way reflects on the faboo new friends we've made scalm. PLUS, I worry about how Leo's doing . . . may take a peek over @ SB myself!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #81  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Hello All - Saaaaad time for me! I'm getting ready to put DD9 on a plane for the 1st time by herself! She's leaving to go to NY with her dad for the holidays (2 WEEKS!). I know I'll have a little more freedom to get extra work done around the house/work, but now that's it's finally time...I'm soooo saaad! I'm gonna miss my sweet little pumpkins'! Isn't it funny how we always wish for more time away...but then when the kids are gone you miss them so much?? I guess this time is especially tough...cuz I'm putting her on a plane by HERSELF! I know planes are safe (more than cars, especially the way her father drives), but I still get nervous...ya know? Also, yesterday she told me that she was gonna miss me (something she's never said before...DADDY's GIRL). That made me cry...but I didn't let her see it. She usually says she gonna miss her HOUSE/ROOM which is like "Alice in absolutely BLINGED OUT Wonderland!" Well, at least I WILL get to catch up on alot (ie. taxes, bills, biz) while she's gone so that my life will be more orderly by the time she returns and Mommy doesn't have to WORK all the time!

Thanks for reading my rant! boooo hoooo! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Joyce-that is sweet.
You know, that the closer you get to your ideal body weight, the harder it is to lose. that's just a fact of biochemistry. I also have a news flash for you (I'm writing this with a smile on my face so have a sense of humor about this) but you are at a healthy body weight. I know you want to look like a super model which is great but you are going to have to work your *** off to get that. Doesn't come easy for supermodels either, you know. My goal is a BMI of 26 which still leaves me a little overweight.

JG-I'm sure I can avoid the meds too. When the Dr. gave me the evil eye, I told her that I knew I could lose the weight because I've done it before but I needed someone to hold me accountable. She told me she would give me 4-6 months to lose 20 lbs or else. I'm with you about following the program too. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to go from being a hedonist to a purist in order to get the results I want this time. When you get the books, I think you might see why I was attracted to this program. I'm sort of a science geek. I got my new books today. I got another George Stella cookbook and Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Aud-I totally agree with you that MD's don't get enough nutrition education. I know more than most but because this is an interest of mine. The mind set is changing about various dietary approaches to weight loss, health, etc. Low carb is now often recommended for type II diabetes.

Donnie-check out Slow Burn. It will whip your butt in that 30 minutes but then you are done for the week. In fact, I'm thinking, maybe I need to think about going back to it myself......
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #83  
banned

Thanks Petra! I just got back from the Airport...feelin' a little low right now. It was nice to read your post...thanks again. Yeah...I know about the "working my a$$ off" part...that's exactly what this new book I'm reading pretty much says...I'm only going to get out what I put in! I'm having a lousy TOM though...it's really got me beat...but some cardio might help with the blues...gonna go do 30 min. right now! Thanks for the encouragement...

By the way..I really want a bod like Aud's avatar or Cory Everson! I think the bodybuilder's physique is awesome...I've always wanted one...but always seemed to get stuck in the "okay body" zone...I'm gonna be 41 next month and I think it's time to finally GO ALL THE WAY...ya know...reach for the sky and maybe you'll hit the moon! Tee hee! See you guys later!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #84  
aud
lc lifestyle

awwww . . . c'mere bambi!

Had to put my BigGirlMolly 21 on a plane by herself around that age - it WIPED ME! Thinking back, most everything with Molly was so emotional for me . . . 2st day of pre-school/1st day of kindergarten . . . I saved ALL of her papers and WONDERED at their brilliance . . . was a sobbing mess when she had her recitals . . . drove . . . graduated . . . etc ~ with DD10Tess its more like my Mom was with me (I'm the late in life Baby like Tess) . . . it's like "WHO ARE YOU?" Seriously tho' . . . Haven't cried near as much . . .

that being said . . . I think even my burnt out a$$ would be a mess at the airport with The Baby! Hang In There bambi-Girl!

(And Ohhhhh Yeah - YOU are gonna ROCK OUT your 40's and I my late 40's as TERMINATA~LICIOS ROCK BODIES!!)

Where's the link to the 30 Minute Burn Stuff petra?

Sorry, but you guys are spoiling me with links/topics here on my Glorious Lay Off!

Didn't make it to the gym today but DID get a 40 minute sweat popping hill walk work-out - and the situps & crunchies . . . starting to feel a kind of gelatinous "core" going on! w00t!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Aud:You are a better man than I am gunga din. I have not hit the bike or done any exercise (except for the 2 hour hike) for over a week. SEVERELY lacking in the motivation department. Don't know why. Oh, well. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Eating is on plan. Going up the the ranch to see my folks on Saturday!!!!Yay. Dad is doing low carb (God Love Him) so I'm bringing him some of the famous CC pudding, some hot wings and some spaghetti squash chicken alfredo for goodies. My sis and her DH usually throw some yummy selections in the smoker early in the a.m. and we eat around 3ish. Definitely many low carb selections. Mom will have none of that, "Diet sh*t. For Goodness Sake I'm 80!!". Good point. I think at 80 I want to enjoy a few Sees candies here and there and chillax.

Tonight's selection here was shredded lettuce topped with blue cheese and low carb meatloaf. Twas tasty.

Bambi Love: Plane suckage. I would cry. I know what you are sayin'. Love and kisses to you.

I think Jimmy Moore is doing Slow Burn successfully? I'm a bad one to ask about that since I dropped Bodypump (after I went through all that pain!!!Just plain laziness no other reason) and I pay a gym a 100 bucks a month and just can't seem to get there consistently. I suck. DD9 wants to take off some weight so probably next month I will take her there to swim in the evening and now she is old enough that I suppose I can lift weights at the same time.

ox
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 186/150.6/130

Height: 5'2"

I feel for you Bambi! I have a 9 year old daughter too and neither one of us could part with each other for any length of time. She went to a girl scout camping weekend a few weeks ago and it was her first time away without her Dad or me and I was just a nervous wreck the whole time. One of the other moms there was a good friend of mine and I knew she would take care of her but still....no matter how big they get they are still our babies!
I am off to the gym to meet a friend at about 8:15 and then meeting another friend around 9:15 there so I will get the double workout this morning. We are doing mostly cardio right now...treadmill and some biking. I will send my extra workout to one of you who cant get there today!! And heres to our 40's looking fit and fabulous!!
monster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #87  

Aud-try this. www.seriousstrength.com
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #88  
banned

Awwwwh...thanks all for your kind words...Yeah...I was in the sh*tter yesterday!

Aud - You sound just like me!! With the exception that I haven't gotten to the driving or graduation part yet with DD9! I can only imagine what a basket case I'll be by then. Ya know...it's weird, I do understand what you mean about being more "chilled out" with DD #2 than DD #1, but with DD9 who is more like me...I have a different kind of bond than with DD21. I bond with each of my kids very differently. DD9 thinks just like me. DD21 shares my drive, looks just like me, intelligence, but stubborn as **** (maybe too much like me!). I find myself more protective over DD9 (perhaps cuz she's 9 and actually listens/depends more upon me). Overall, I think 2nd kids are a better experience, cuz WE get better with AGE! Thanks sooo much for understanding. sending BIG [[[hugs and kisses]]]] your way!

SIC - Thanks for everything...you always crack me up and put a smile on my face...nomatter how sh*tty I seem to feel! [[[hugs and kisses]]] back atcha babe! BTW, your Mom sounds like mine..tee hee! Yeah...at 80 she's definately entitled to do whatever the **** she wants...knock yourself out MOMMA! Your lucky so many people around you are low-carbin it though...it makes it soo much easier (I hate it at bbq's when everyone's looking at you like your some kinda freak, cuz you take the bun off your hamburger!). Lastly, your lifestyle is extremely hectic and busy during the day and coupled with family....maybe just getting a stationary bike or eliptical for your home might suit you better? If I had to actually GO to a gym...I'D NEVER WORKOUT! No time! Most days I don't get to do any kind of workout until 9 or 10pm! If you chose to begin a workout plan...I'd start with just cardio (It'll get your energy levels up big time)...then you can graduate to weights if you want to.

Monster - Ooooh, I do like that name too! It kinda describes the inner-me too! Especially now (TOM, ya know..my name should be BEAST WOMAN from the pits of ****!) Thanks for your kind and understanding words! I couldn't imagine life without my kids...I find myself envying the freedom of my friends that don't have children sometimes, but then when my kids are away...all I do is MISS THEM! So much for freedom (it's overrated!) Thanks again.

Beachie, Lily...where the **** r ya??? I do miss you all! Holla at us sometimes...Give a shout out! Anything?????? Sending you all [[[[happy vibes]]]] whereever you are!

Well folks...I did my 30 min cardio last night and WOW did it help ease the tension and worrying (plus DD9 called and let me know she landed safely)! But, I'm convinced...I must do cardio at least once a day (to avoid losing my mind). Endorphenes RULE! Scale hasn't budged (I know...shouldn't check the scale during TOM, but I did!)...actually back up to 167! I wasn't able to CARB UP yesterday...just couldn't down all that food! I'm going to try again today. I can't believe that eating is a chore (who would've known??). It's hard to eat 5-6 times/day! But diet is 90% of fat loss! Gotta keep that engine burning and to do that I have to eat every 3 hours...hard, but I'm gonna do it. I found this site, thedailyplate.com, it's much better than fitday.com as it has foods that I EAT (i.e., collard greens w/smoked pork neckbones, black-eyed peas, etc.). I couldn't stand inputting on this sh*t into Fitday...it took too much time and I didn't end of tracking my food well at all! Maybe once I finally get into the grove of tracking my food macros, I'll know where I need to adjust my diet. The good news, is that the mirror is still good to me...looking more lean every day....but enough with the this muscle crap...I want the scale to DROP already (waiting for that sudden 8 lb drop...tee hee!).
Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #89  
aud
lc lifestyle

Tx for the link petra - will check out when I get back from Doggie Walk Spring Edition.

It IS another beautiful day here in MO - breezy & just warm enuf - not as sunny as yesterday, but Oh Well. Getting out & in it helps my mood(s)/motivation scalm - if your 2 hour hike didn't do it for ya the other day - here's to hoping 'Back At The Ranch will!

LOL @ dd10Tess "driving . . . graduating" . . . meant how I was a mess with dd21Molly doing those things . . . not sure how I'll react with the 10 yr old - Hoping to God I'm not still in menopause by then - otherwise the answer will be that I'll laugh then cry then get angry then laugh some more then sob uncontrollably then have a hot flash . . . . I definitely know what you mean about the differences in personalities too bambi - literally nite & day with my two dd's . . .

What are your 4 age ranges monster? As you can see, my two are like 11 years apart (strange breeding cycle?) KNOW you must be on those toes!!!

okokok . . . getting on out - made it to Maundy Thursday services last nite (for an extra walk) - going to walk even further here @ Noon for Good Friday services at a Lutheran Church about 8 blocks away . . . always make the excuse that I work too many hours to make it to anything . . . decided last nite to just Go For It where Church AND theY are concerned. (Did I tell you that I made it to the Y for the Pilates Class that one morning but NO ONE was there? - I doubled my weight work out/cardio/sauna time tho' & even did some pathetic swimming just 'cause I was there!)

ttyal!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #90  

Well unbeknownst to me, today was a holiday at the hospital but a lot of us showed up anyway. It was sort of lowkey. The bad thing is, if you needed an administrator for anything (and unfortunately, I did) you couldn't find one. Went out to eat for lunch with two of my collegues on the spur of the moment but made sure we went somewhere I would have decent choices. Had a greek salad with chicken.

It is a beautiful day here too. Low 70's lite breeze. Took the doggies for a bonus walk this afternoon. The lawn guy came this afternoon to work on my yard thank goodness because it was starting to look pretty bad. He's going to mulch my flower beds too so then I'll really look all spruced up.

Planning to go to church tonight for stations of the cross.