Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #46  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
immediately after eat a banana riddled protein shake or 1/2 hour before my late afternoon workout...I'll have a bowl of oatmeal
More power to you Joyce! I wouldn't last a day....I HATE banana's ....and oatmeal ain't far behind
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #47  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Well...ya know Jerseygyrl...this is all new to me (this whole "Ripped" thing) andddd....I didn't start out with the banana thing...but after my workout (especially the cardio in a.m. on empty stomach)...I found that just taking the protein drink and the chicken/fish after my workout...left me feeling still depleted of something. I don't personally love bananas or oatmeal for that fact, but...I don't know...something in my head just told me to throw a banana in the blender...and I did and it was soooo satisfying...like my body finally got what it needed to stabilize! I think that during double workout days...I'm losing so much electrolytes and potasium...that's where the urge for bananas came in!

This journey of mine is really an incredible one! I'm reaching heights that I never thought I could and watching my muscles grow...I don't know...it's....well....incredible! It makes me really know that "I can do anything or reach any goal that I put my mind to". It's just soooo empowering! Can't wait to post the before and after pics...

Unfortunately though...no workout this a.m. Had tenant/landlord court this morn...and had to pick up rents, etc...but I will...get in my workout later this afternoon after I pick up my 9 yr old from school (had b'day Saturday!)...I haven't even eaten a meal yet today...been sooo friggin busy...I've got to eat more...got to eat more... Who would have ever imagined that my new struggle in life is to "eat more"! Thank you Dr. Atkins!!! I'm hoping by summer I can have sooo much energy to go mountain climbing, water skiing...and finally teach my daughter to rollerskate!...all while looking like a lean...mean...sex machine on the beach!!! Anyone wan't to join me...let's make a date!!! Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
More power to you Joyce! I wouldn't last a day....I HATE banana's ....and oatmeal ain't far behind
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

O.K. I'm in. I'll be Laverne and you can be Shirley. Can we ride on the bottling equipment at the brewery before we go roller skating, mountain climbing and water skiing?

tee hee
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #49  
banned

SIC - LOL...LOL!!!!! We're gonna do it....give us any chance we'll take it..give us any rule we'll break it...we're gonna make our dreams come true...DOIN IT OUR WAY!!! ...MAKE OUR DREAMZZZZZ COME TRUE....FOR ME AND YOU!!!!! Woooo!!! I love it! Okay..okay..I'm havin too much fun! Joyce
Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #50  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

This has been a GREAT thread!

I am determined to make low carbing my lifestyle and not just a temporary thing I will go off when the weight is gone. Giving up bread has not really bothered me, but sugar? a different story. I've always thought I had an addiction, but didn't realize the extent until recently. I'm a work in progress, that's for sure!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #51  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
. . .

My eating habits used to be horrendus! I now realize a lot of it was due to emotional issues. Lets face it, when we're fat and we don't feel good about ourselves, the lack of confidence can prevent us from moving foward & doing the things with our lives we deep down know we should do. Its a vicious cycle. So, yeah....believe it or not I sat in front of the tv many nite's with a big bag of frito's & container of onion dip or a box of chocolate pop tarts for dinner. Food became my companion & my consolation . . .

. . . Do I have my "bad days"?....sure I do (ask my poor DBF!)....but, I no longer turn to food for comfort. Today I can tell you I am much happier with myself & with my life than I was nearly 4 years ago!

Something about picturing you with fritos & onion dip has really touched a nerve with me JG! I think the entire time I've been reading your Posts I just had the wrong idea about your journey - like maybe changing your life around to LC wasn't much of a struggle? dunno why - your description of the tv & the pop tarts has certainly changed that mis-perception & I thank you!

I've picked back up on something I did for years in my younger days - started a journal - in an effort to find out & identify "what's eating me!"/triggers. And not to creep you out or anything - but last nite I could actually hear your cyber-voice as I passed TWO awesome luncheons that were going on @ work - (one being a mock champagne & cheesecake tasting!!!) - "If you do what you've always done auddie . . . "

*mindsetmindsetmindset*
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #52  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Aud....you're a hoot!!

Believe me when I tell you my eating habits were bad....they were BAD!!! I was a junk food junkie! My daily treat was grilled stuffed beef burritto's from Taco Bell. I think they knew me by first name when I'd show up daily at the drive thru! When people see me now eating salad's, veggies, grilled chicken & fish....they are in shock!

I'm proud of ya Aud....if I can do this, you can too! You go girl!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #53  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

I have tried Atkins and I know it only 2 weeks for the induction but its hard to give up milk and fruit. I dont care about the rice and grains.
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Jen: Your photo is adorable.

JG and Aud: You are inspirational. I've never struggled with junk food (must have been the 18 years of damaging dancer eating celery only thing) but after age 21 I can say that processed food is the culprit for me.

ox
sc
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #55  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

This is what I concentrated on tonight:

aud: Besides just making up your mind - how did you just stop eating the whole bag of chips/box of tarts?

JG: There was only 1 way for me to end this vicious cycle...cold turkey! Stop buying it & bringing it into my home. I also had to completely change my thinking realizing food was not going to make me happy, it was only going to make me fatter & fatter.

*mindsetmindsetmindset is Rockin' On!*
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #56  
banned

Aud - I agree with JG on that...get that crap out of the house! Don't even bring it in! I follow the same rules...if it's not there...you can't eat it! However, it's a little different for me since I have a 9yr old...who's as skinny as can be!...and grandkids...who love my little "goodies". But I keep all the kids "goodies" in a separate cabinet and never really go in there myself. I did that in the beginning...(while my wilpower wasn't too good)...but now...it doesn't bother me cuz I've got so much "good foods" around that I'm okay with my daughter eating her chips...cuz I can snack on my low-carb treats! BTW, exercise really works well to curb the appetite too! Joyce
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #57  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
Glad to see you here Deedee! And...of course, wanting to get "cut"...always love the company.

I think you misunderstood me...what I mean't was that (for me), I'm following Atkins basic principles (low-carb/high protein/high fat)...however, when I began my "Ripped Program" which requires and extreme amount of cardio and lifting...my body needs more carbs than Atkins allows to achieve maximum muscle growth. You must feed your muscles for them to grow. Without being and expert (of any kind here), I'm reluctant to go into the science of why this is so...but there's a book called something like "feed the muscle or feed the fat" (somebody help me out here!!!), but it does break it down scientifically. Basically, on the program I do...it's the time in which you eat your carbs that count! For instance, I wake up and do my cardio on an empty stomach and immediately after eat a banana riddled protein shake or 1/2 hour before my late afternoon workout...I'll have a bowl of oatmeal...the carbs taken in are for specific goals...energy (better workout performance) and muscle recouperation...muscle need food to grow!

Hope this helps...Joyce
Hi Joyce, just read your response and I get it now. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it to me. The info is so helpful because I do want to tone and gain muscle. I can't wait to see your before/after pic because I know you will achieve your goals.
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #58  
banned

Your sooo welcome Dedee! I look forward to seeing your lean, mean, sex machine after pics too! (wink..wink!) Joyce
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I started Atkins as a way to lose weight. My daughter was 4 and I thought that was long enough to use the baby weight excuse. I had been working out, 3 days a week cardio and two days weights. I lost NOTHING. NOT ONE SINGLE POUND. I was not surprised by this because I have tried to lose weight before by exercising and it has never worked. I always end up with hunger issues and weakness from cutting back on protein and fat. I've even been a vegetarian, a fat vegetarian, though.

Then, I saw an article about Atkins. I got his book from the library to read and eventually I bought the book for myself. I started the program as a diet. I didn't even wokout and I lost 40 pounds and ended up with clearly defined arms and legs without weights. Eventually I started walking on a treadmill. But I would plan cheat weekends, which led to cheat weeks, which eventually led to completely falling off the wagon. It took over a year for me to gain all the weight back. Last year I ate about 5 boxes of All About Girl Scout cookies.

Then last year I figured out that I needed to change my whole mindset. I need this to be a way of life not just a diet. So now I can help my kids with their scout achievements that involve baking sweets [we made oatmeal cookies today] and selling cookies without losing my way.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

When my grandmother's doctor told her to eat more bananas for the potasium, my mom said whatever. My mom said she needed to eat more potatoes or spinach or broccoli. I have never experienced the leg cramps because of a potasium/magnessium deficiency. I eat spinach everyday and broccoli every other day. So, here are the numbers, per 100g of food, so you all can see.

Food - Iron -Mag -Potas -Vit C -Calcium
bananas -.31 -.29 -396 -9.1 -6
oranges -.1 -0 -166 -59.1 -43
apples -.1 -5 -107 -4.6 -6

spinach -2.7 -79 -558 -28.1 -99
broccoli -.88 -25 -325 -93.2 -46
tomatoes -.45 -11 -222 -19.1 -5
cucumber -.16 -12 -148 -3 -14
cabbage -.84 -24 -292 -74.6 -46
potato -1.1 -28 -535 -9.6 -15

Thanks Ma!

Last edited by sylvia78; 03-03-2008 at 01:08 AM.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote