Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #16  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
I have a question though...any thoughts on how daily (5/week) "exercise" combined with doing low-carb (SB, Atkins, etc.) has effected your progress and in what way??? Just curious.
I do walk aerobics and as everyone here knows, I do Atkins Its been a good combination for me. Gets my heart rate up for 30 mins....and thats a very good thing!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I know you've been doing Atkins for a long time and maintaining which I think is something very hard to do for most...so I applaud you for this. I've checked out your before/after pics so I know you had to be very determined to succeed the way you have and nonetheless maintain for so many years...but...do you ever feel stagnated...like you want something different? Ya know...sometimes when we reach goals (especially goals that we might have felt never possible for us), we may feel like...what's left to do??? I've felt like that before and that's stagnating for me...I don't want that to happen, so like to you said...realize the problem...change the problem. One thing I've learned is that the possibilites are endless...and that you can achieve anything you want...fear and uncertainty are the only things that will hold you back.

So I ask you...what's next for Jerseygyrl?? Ya know...they say our bodies adapt when we do the same things over and over and as we age, we must adapt because of things like changes in metabolism, illnesses, etc. How do (or have you) maintained...doing the same thing...curious, cuz I would like to be a success story like you 10 yrs from now...and that's why I've started pumping iron (if you can believe...me...the reality tv junkee and former couch potato!) in the hopes of adding more muscle to change my metabolism and prepare for the long haul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I do walk aerobics and as everyone here knows, I do Atkins Its been a good combination for me. Gets my heart rate up for 30 mins....and thats a very good thing!
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #18  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
So I ask you...what's next for Jerseygyrl??
You've posed a very good question here. I'd like to begin by saying, at nearly 47 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life. If anyone were to tell me almost 4 years ago now, that I would lose over 100 lbs....I'd have laughed and said "you've lost your mind!"

You used the word "stagnate"....interesting word. Looking back at my life before I began Atkins, I was 100% stagnated. To be perfectly blunt, I was FAT. I know most of us here can relate to the feelings one feels when they are overweight. I felt hopeless & helpless. I tried "diets" that I claimed didn't work, when the truth was....I simply lacked the motivation to make the lifestyle changes needed for successful weight loss. I wasn't happy with myself...I wasn't happy in the relationship I was in....I wasn't happy with my job the list goes on & on. My weight (245 lbs) was causing me to feel like a total failure in every aspect of my life. I knew I HAD to change things if I ever wanted to feel good about myself.

I took a trip to SC with my friend Jennifer in the Winter of 2003. While on that trip, I could not keep up with her. I couldn't walk a half a block without feeling like a 300 lb. person was sitting on my chest. I would get so out of breath. It was a wake up call & I KNEW it was time to change my life! My Dad is an insulin dependant diabetic. I've watched him inject himself many times and I knew this was never something I would want to have to do! Jennifer (a nurse on a cardiac floor) told me how she'd lost 60 lbs on Atkins. I was thoroughly intrigued....however, I was uneducated & ignornant regarding Atkins back then and believed, like many others, that Atkins was unhealthy. I bought the book and I began to read it. I couldn't put it down. It was like Dr. Atkins was speaking to me personally!! Reading the book I realized Dr. Atkins was a truly brilliant man!! I knew this plan was something I could do and more importantly, something I would stick with for life. It was time!! No more Taco Bell....no more Turkey Hill "Death By Chocolate" ice cream....no more full boxes of pop tarts for dinner....no more BIG bags of Frito's & large carton's of onion dip. It was time for veggies, salads, chicken, fish and drinking lots of water! It was time for me to get out and start walking. That wasn't easy at first!! I couldn't go very far before my ankle's were aching and I was very out of breath. But, little by little....I went further & further and the sense of accomplishment it gave me....kept me motivated to continue! When I stepped on the scale and I saw the #'s coming down, it was a feeling I can't even describe! When I started this way of life, I wore a size 3X. The first time I went into a dressing room back then and put on a size 12 jeans and they fit....I stared in the mirror in disbelief! I didn't recognize the person looking back at me. I had been big my entire life. It took me some time (in fact, it still does) to come to terms with the new me.

Nearly 4 years later, life is very good. I feel healthy, I can walk without getting immediately winded. I have a family that has supported me from day 1. God bless my Mom, every Sunday when I would visit her & Dad, she'd make me 1 of Linda Sue's recipes. My parents are very proud of what I've accomplished and that makes me feel wonderful. I have a DBF who loves me & makes me feel special everyday of my life. I'm happy with my job. For the first time in my life, I can say, I am happy with myself! Thank you Dr. Atkins for saving my life!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #19  
banned

Wow Jerseygyrl...that's an incredible story!!! I had a neighbor who was about 300 lbs and she worked for a doctor who suggested Atkins. She and her husband went on it (he weighed about 350) and I literally watched both of them lose over 100 lbs eating bacon, late at night (summer sausage and cheeze) and NO EXERCISE!!! I could not believe it...so I started Atkins (this was about 10 yrs ago). However, a year later she gained it all back and then some...why??? she hates to exercise and never grew her muscles in order to increase her Basal Metabolism!

My question is how have you increased your BM? Let's say you get sick or something...and you can't walk everyday...then you'll gain it back...R U into weights or developing larger muscles at all? Joyce
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #20  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
\
My question is how have you increased your BM? Let's say you get sick or something...and you can't walk everyday...then you'll gain it back...R U into weights or developing larger muscles at all? Joyce
I do walk aerobics. I started this because Winter's here in Jersey can be rough and its not always feasible to get outside and walk.

As far as weights are concerned, I am not into that at all. I think it has something to do with a woman I know who looks like a man with long hair!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #21  
banned

LOL!!!...I know what you mean about cold winters (I'm a New Yorker/Jersey'r too!) Believe me...though...you won't get vains popping out of your head or start talking in a deep voice...naa...nothing like that. It it something to keep in mind for a future goal though...and it's the only real way to increase your BM..which equals = lifetime maintenance. I recently found the book "Body for Life" and after I removed the cobwebs read it again (bought it 10 yrs ago!). It's got some simple and easy to do workout routines in it...and I love the before/after challenge pics.

Beyonce..JayLo..JayGarner...Madonna (well, maybe scratch her...she does kinda look like a man these days)...are just a few celebs that all workout with weights...and they don't look anything like men (well..madonaa...hmmm??). Muscles shape your bod beautifully, increase your BM, and overall health/endurance. It may be time to take it to the next level....just a thought. If you do...I look forward to seeing you on the exercise threads...there's some pretty buffed chicks there and they look beautiful and are so full of knowledge...IT'S TIME WE DISPELL ANOTHER FOOLISH MYTH..."...If woman workout with weights...they'll get man muscles!"...Truth is...you'd have to supplement up the wazzoo and press hardcore for many many years for you to get like the woman you see in muscle mag! Men bulk up...woman get smaller...while appearing bigger, and more shapely..feminine...aka..."bangin bod". Thanks for sharing. Joyce
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #22  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
IT'S TIME WE DISPELL ANOTHER FOOLISH MYTH..."...If woman workout with weights...they'll get man muscles!"...Truth is...you'd have to supplement up the wazzoo and press hardcore for many many years for you to get like the woman you see in muscle mag! Men bulk up...woman get smaller...while appearing bigger, and more shapely..feminine...aka..."bangin bod".
Amen, sister! I am squatting in a squat rack, benching with a bar, pulling heavy deadlifts with the boys but I'm going to look nothing like them when I'm done Hot, sexy and fit--here I come! A great book I recently picked up is "New Rules of Lifting for Women"--it's great at dispelling the myths about women lifting and has a good workout program!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #23  
Larry's Angel

Joyce & Azure....no disrespect intended....but....neither of you have ever seen this woman, she is bigger than any man I've ever seen and can bench press over 500 lbs!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #24  
banned

Ohhhh....come on...she sounds like a steroid riddled "freak of nature"...that's not going to happen to you! Com'mon...LOL!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #25  
banned

Don't knock it...til ya try it...ya just might like it! Tellyawhat...I'm re-sculpting this former dimpled riddled a$$ of mine on a 21-day program (still doing low-carb though...but adding things like banana in my protein shake, fruits (citrus/berries)...I'm on day 6 now...at the end of the program...I'm gonna make myself accountable here...and post my before/after pics...so everyone can see a "real person"...transformation (I hope..hee hee!). If I sprout an adams apple...then run...run far far away from the weights!!! LOL!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #26  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Don't knock it...til ya try it...ya just might like it! Tellyawhat...I'm re-sculpting this former dimpled riddled a$$ of mine on a 21-day program (still doing low-carb though...but adding things like banana in my protein shake, fruits (citrus/berries)...I'm on day 6 now...at the end of the program...I'm gonna make myself accountable here...and post my before/after pics...so everyone can see a "real person"...transformation (I hope..hee hee!). If I sprout an adams apple...then run...run far far away from the weights!!! LOL!
What program are you doing NOW? How "low carb" is it? I mean, a banana has 35 grams alone, I'd be done for the day right there!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #27  
Larry's Angel

LOL!! "Freak of nature" is a very accurate description!

I use light hand weights & resistance bands when doing my walk aerobics and have recently incorporated firming exercises...its working nicely!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #28  
banned

It's actually a program designed for men by NxCare called "Ripped System". You can google it or check out the reviews on bodybuilding.com. Great reviews and after day 6...can tell you I'm already seeing a marked reduction in a$$ dimples!!! I'm working out (cardio especially) like a bandit so I only have the banana (w/all its needed potasium) with my protein shake after 30 min. HIIT cardio in the morn. I still use the ketostix and am still in ketosis...so I think the carbs are immediately burned cuz of when I take them in. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
What program are you doing NOW? How "low carb" is it? I mean, a banana has 35 grams alone, I'd be done for the day right there!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #29  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't women who look like guys out there ( http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/14322.JPG ). I've seen them! But they either have a hormone imbalance (too much testosterone being produced, not enough estrogen) or they are doing steroids! Women physically can't build muscle the same way as men can without some "outside help" or hormonal disorders. The women who manage to look jacked for competitions (assuming they're "natural" body builders) spend years building lots of lean mass, then they "cut" right before a competition (go low carb, low calorie and dehydrate so that their muscles really show).

Here's an example: http://www.jenheath.com/photogallery.html
Jen has photos of herself "before" losing weight and getting cut, photos of her looking pumped for a photo shoot, photos of her at competition (looking a little scary!) and a photo of her a week later. When she's not flexing her muscles, even a week after that competition photo, she just looks like a "normal", fit woman!

Cass Forsythe is another one: http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/gallery.html

Just a few of my favorites, who are contributors to my favorite health and fitness podcast (The FitCast www.thefitcast.com)

Last edited by Azure; 02-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #30  
banned

Youzaaaa! Jen and Cassandra and absolutely gorgeous! Especially Jen...I soooo need to have that bod!!! Wow! That's what the **** I'm talkin' bout! But how in the **** did Jen keep those knockers??? Mine are fading fast...already lost a cup size...I know when all is said and done...I'll definately be a new member of the itty bitty titi committee! Better keep doing chest work...to at least keep them standing up instead of looking like dehydrated prunes!!! LOL!