3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   "The Carbohyrate Addict's Diet" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/132462-carbohyrate-addicts-diet.html)

broadabroad 01-25-2008 12:21 PM

"The Carbohyrate Addict's Diet"

Just wondering whether anyone had any experience of this? I leafed through the book a while ago, and I've glanced over their website - they advocate a Low Carb approach but with one meal a day in which one is allowed to indulge one's urge for carbs - provided it is balanced by an equal quantity of protein and an equal quantity of fat, iirc. Something along those lines. It interested me when I read it, but I wasn't sufficiently convinced by it to commit to trying Low Carb. Now that I've changed my mind on that one (thanks to Gary Taubes and Dr A) I'm wondering whether any of you have any first-hand knowledge of how their plan holds up?

RobinW 01-25-2008 12:42 PM

this was the very first diet I tried when I realized low carb was the way to go.

But for me, it didnt work. I have food issues, so giving me a meal to eat what I pleased didnt work for me at all!!!

It has worked great for others, but myself I need more structure.

beach bum 01-25-2008 12:54 PM

Hi:) I tried the CAD before going on the Atkins Plan.It didn't help me at all.Sure you can have whatever carbs at their reward meal,but if you want second helpings you have to eat from each group instead of a single helping. Plus you had to finish the reward meal in 1 hr. Not a good plan for eat out in a restaurant. Of course you had 2 no carb meals without snacks in between meals. I couldn't eat that way. Hope that helped

Hugs :) BB

Leenie 01-25-2008 03:33 PM

Yep been there done that. That one meal was wicked.... I would eat things I normally wouldn't eat just because I was allowed to. It wasn't for me.

Do a search on in this forum and you'll come up with at lease a 1/2 dozen threads on CAD.

Good luck !!
Leenie

Ms Spotdog 01-25-2008 07:49 PM

The book, which was being reviewed on the Oprah show at the time, was most certainly an 'Aha!' moment for me. The logic of carb addiction makes LOTS of sense to me. It explains sooo many things from the way I think about and relate to food. Now, not everyone is a carb addict and just because someone follows a low carb plan doesn't mean they are carb addicted BUT they way some people react to carbs is spelled out in the book and they (the Drs. who wrote the book) they certainly have nailed it!

I never did the 'reward meal' diet as they detailed it but when I follow LC I use the idea of the equal portions on the plate WHEN and IF I decide to have a once-in-a-great-while, planned cheat meal. I found the balance didn't trigger the major carb cravings and the planned cheat helped me get right back on plan.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello. I'm Kel and I'm a Carb Addict.

broadabroad 01-25-2008 09:23 PM

Thanks folks!