3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   what do you do when you can't take it anymore? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/132182-what-do-you-do-when-you-cant-take-anymore.html)

polkadotfever 01-22-2008 04:03 PM

what do you do when you can't take it anymore?

I'm starting Atkins (again) tomorrow morning. I did it a few months ago with great success but then fell off the wagon and never got back on. Are there any no or low carb treats that you turn to when you just can't take it anymore? I did the sugar free jello but that only got me so far. Maybe what I need is a shift in my mindset? Let those carbs GO and just stop thinking and pining away for them.

pamatga 01-22-2008 05:09 PM

Well, this has helped me .......

I have been following the South Beach Diet, which is low carb too. I honestly and truly thought that I would really miss carbs but I don't as much as I thought I would. I really do like the wide range of choices of foods that I can eat on this plan and with eating frequently I am not usually craving any thing off the plan. I have been resourceful and even made what I call "psuedo pizza" which is essentially the top of the pizza without the crust. I still get the pizza taste without the carbs!

As for something sweet, have you branched out to other sugar free desserts? I have followed the suggestions and now eat the sugar free chocolate pudding which is really good and I have the sugar free hard candies to suck on while I watch tv at night. I bought a bag of tropical flavored ones and the banana and coconut are really good!

I guess, I would just try different things until you find something that works for you and will curb that craving you are having.

JerseyGyrl 01-22-2008 05:31 PM

Hi Polkadotfever:)

First of all, kudos on your decision to get back on Atkins!:D You mentioned you had great success with it before you "fell off the wagon"...so you KNOW Atkins works.

As far as sweets go, the purpose of Atkins Induction is to bust sugar addiction (as well as other food addictions). It is extremely important Induction be followed precisely to be effective. Eat only what is on the acceptable foods list...http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/ Avoid things like "low carb treats"...sugar-free jello, pudding, candy, cookies etc. Those types of "treats" contain sugar alcohols as well as artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. Atkins Induction is about clean eating...meats, eggs, cheese, veggies & salad. By all means, stay away from Atkins bars! Atkins Nutritionals claims they are "appropriate for Induction" which makes absolutely NO SENSE! Read the label..it says they contain SOY, MILK & PEANUTS. Where are any of these ingredients on the acceptable foods list for Induction They also state they contain 0 grams of sugar alcohol. The Chocolate Peanut Butter bar starts out with 22 total carbs...it contains 10 grams of fiber...this brings the total net carbs to 12...HOWEVER, the label states they are 2 net carbs Confused yet?? Glycerin is deducted and guess what glycerin is....Yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! Save your almost $2 per bar and make yourself some tuna salad or a hard boiled egg....You'll be happy you did!!

There are "legal" treats on Induction: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dessert_recipes.html If its marked with an *, its suitable for Induction.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Amy On a Mission76 01-22-2008 08:53 PM

When I just have to have something sweet, I have a little Koolwhip. It is lo carb and yummy. And really great on sugar free jello.

JerseyGyrl 01-22-2008 09:11 PM

Cool Whip is a no-no. Its got corn syrup & high frutose corn syrup. Sugar-free jello contains aspartame unless you are making your own with Splenda.

sylvia78 01-23-2008 12:38 AM

First, listen to what JerseyGyrl has to say. She is successful and she knows her stuff. She is living the low carb life.

Second, sugar alcohols are still sugar. They can cause digestive distress [stomache cramps] and anal leakage. They can also trigger cravings. So you have to be really careful when eating foods that use sugar alcohols as sweeteners. Pay attention to how you feel for a day or so after eating them.

Third, try to eat as 'natural' as possible for at least 3 weeks. This way you are completely eliminating your bodies desire/need for flour and sugar. Natural means eating as little prepared foods as possible. Do not eat meats that are preseasoned. The seasoning may contain sugars which can keep your body hooked. Make sure you are reading labels and looking for sugars. I know Mayo has sugar as an ingredient but it should be way down on the list of ingredients, not the second or third ingredient. I would agree with JerseyGyrl and stay away from the low carb products. I would stay away for at least a few weeks.

Why eat chemicals called cool whip when you can eat the real thing. Heavy whipping cream is on the list of acceptable foods list. You should make your own with heavy whipping cream and splenda. No aspartame, no chemicals, all natural. I used to make this in a cup at work. I would hold the cup in my lap while I stirred and typed. This is an emergency only treat because you are supposed to limit your dairy to 4 ounces.

There are actually some tips in the book "Living the Low Carb Life" by Jonny Bowden for dealing with sweet cravings. I'll have to get back with the exact tip but it is something like eat something spicy/hot.

I, myself, am just back on the wagon after a 3 month lapse. And yet, HERE WE ARE!

You can do this. Just take it one day/one meal at a time.

polkadotfever 01-23-2008 09:46 AM

thanks for the great advice everyone! :)

yes, i know for a fact that atkins works for me because i've done the diet twice in my life and both times i was more successful than i ever have been with any other diet. the weight just came flying off.

i've had a hysterectomy recently, well i'm coming up on the one year anniversary actually. boy has that changed my body and metabolism.

i won't give up. thanks again for all the great insight.

Nic77 01-24-2008 03:11 PM

Well what i was gonna say would probably get shut down because i was gonna say they blue bunny low carb ice cream was my friend but from what jerseygyrl said it has a lot of sugar alcohols and i didn't realize that they were still bad for you but i always ate the low carb ice cream and the ice cream bars?? but idk if they are bad or not?

JerseyGyrl 01-24-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nic77 (Post 2017851)
blue bunny low carb ice cream was my friend but from what jerseygyrl said it has a lot of sugar alcohols and i didn't realize that they were still bad for you

The Blue Bunny No Sugar Added Reduced Fat Vanilla (as well as the other flavors) contain things like Maltodextrin, Sorbitol & Glycerine. A serving (½ cup) has 16 total carbs & 2 grams fiber = 14 net carbs.

The bottom line is, when you are doing Atkins Induction...if its not on the acceptable foods list...you should not be eating it! Those aren't my rules but, Dr. Atkins.

deedee10 01-24-2008 05:14 PM

Thanks so much for your postings JerseyGyrl. I always have to print them out for reference. You are so helpful and a wonderful resource for the Atkins way of eating. I've been eating sugar-free products and I'm going to stop because of the info you supplied in this because I think they are most likely fueling my desire for more sugar and sugar is one of the things that is keeping me fat. Thanks again!

stayincalm 01-24-2008 05:32 PM

Chocoperfection bars are wonderful and have no sugar alcohols. I would avoid eating them on induction though. In case you are one of those with a sweet tooth and if sugar is your addiction.

JerseyGyrl 01-24-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedee10 (Post 2018106)
Thanks so much for your postings JerseyGyrl. I always have to print them out for reference. You are so helpful and a wonderful resource for the Atkins way of eating. I've been eating sugar-free products and I'm going to stop because of the info you supplied in this because I think they are most likely fueling my desire for more sugar and sugar is one of the things that is keeping me fat. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your kind words Deedee:)

I am by no means an expert and I'm sure a lot of the time, I say things & have said things people don't like to hear or want to hear. As I've said in many of my posts, I am an "Atkins purist"....meaning, I do Atkins precisely the way it was written & meant to be done. Adding things (especially during Induction) like fruit, sugar-free treats like candy, ice cream, pudding, as well as Atkins bars, dreamfields pasta, crystal light, jello which contains aspartame, peanut butter, nuts, cool whip, processed meats, etc. is not doing Atkins the way it was written. If you're way of eating includes those things....you are doing "modified Atkins".

When this plan is done correctly, which means eating only the foods on each phase of Atkins as written in the book....it definitely works!

Thanks again.

All the best to you!

Kim

JerseyGyrl 01-24-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayincalm (Post 2018135)
Chocoperfection bars are wonderful and have no sugar alcohols

Chocoperfection bars are sweetened with Erythritol, which is a natual sugar alcohol. It does not have a laxative effect nor does it cause gastric distress because it is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine and then in mainly passed unchanged in the urine.

polkadotfever 01-25-2008 10:30 AM

i have to say i agree. i've done atkins before and noticed that the more i try to add things that aren't in the book the less i lose. i've cleaned up my act and lost 3 pounds in the last 2 days. i know it's mostly water...but it's enough to keep me motivated. i also should say that the weight loss recently was with about 1800-2000 calories per day which on a normal diet would make me GAIN weight like nobody's business. this diet rocks! :carrot: