Atkins By The Book..Or..Atkins Your Way?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm curious how many of you "doing Atkins" do it strictly by the book....or....your own way?

I'll be celebrating 4 years on Atkins in April. For me, its by the book. I've often been referred to as an "Atkins purist" because I eat this way 365 days a year. I don't make "exceptions" for holidays or my birthday etc. When I eat meals out, they are Atkins friendly low carb.

I'm not a believer in "frankenfoods"....low carb products...breads, tortilla's, Dreamfields pasta, sugar-free jello & puddings, Crystal Light, Atkins bars & shakes....the list goes on & on. My only vice would be DaVinci's sugar-free syrups.

How do you "do Atkins"??
  • Well, it's only Day 2 for me, but so far it's by the book!!
  • I'm Somersizing which is a little like Atkins in that you avoid white food products, white bread, white potatoes, table sugar and high sugar veges and fruits. It's an eating plan based on food combining. It's working for me and I am losing weight. What helps is I can have wheat bread preferably in the morning but I can't eat any protein with the bread, only low fat products like low-fat or non-fat cottage cheese on top with cinnamon. I can also eat fruit however it has to be eaten 20 min. before or 3 hours after I've eaten a protein meal. Most of the time I'm not hungry for anything after a protein meal but it's nice to know I can have both bread and fruit if I want it.
  • I have read the book ( several editions) many times. So I follow it pretty closely. But I have also gotten to know my body and self since I have done lo card more than once, and I know what works for me.
    So I guess my answer would be a little of both.
  • I do Atkins "my way" some days and others...
    Strictly "atkins by the book". It depends on how I feel that day. Right before that "special time of the month", I do suffer with cravings and citrus fruit seems to help...but I am always sure to eat the whole fruit, not just the juice. I don't count carbs as my hectic lifestyle just simply wouldn't allow it. However, as an old "atkins-er" from way back, I too am in touch with my body and how it responds to different foods. Therefore, I know that as long as I stay completely away from sugar, breads, pastas, potatoes, all unrefined carbs, I WILL loose weight.

I have a question though, during Atkins, should you have a salt and/or butter restriction due to health reasons, or does it even matter. Will the nature of the diet naturally keep you from suffering from water retention (salt) or high blood pressure (fats)?
  • The first time I did Atkins by the book. But I always had problems with craving bread. When I started again last May, I started a revisted Atkins plan trying to get 35 net carbs a day. This really worked and I didn't have any bread cravings. I lost 35 pounds, too.

This time I started out on the revised Atkins plan. It always takes me a few weeks to get up to 35 net carbs [it is a lot of veggies], so at this point I am still between 20-30 net carbs.

Bambifox, fat does not give you high blood pressure. Overconsumption of carbs and insulin sensitivity. Salt exaserbates it, but does not give it to you. Because you are no longer eating so many processed foods, you are automatically cutting your sodium consumption. Butter is not bad for you. You are letting the "fat is bad" demon get to you. Your body actually needs fat. Trans fats are a horror but butter does not contain any trans fats. Also, you should drink lots of water. This will let your body know that it does not need to hold on to water.
  • By the book for a month or so. I think virtually all processed foods might fall into your frankenfood category so I don't eschew low carb products. If you are doing Atkins in a purist manner than you are really on an entirely whole foods diet that is limited in carbs. That is the only difference. I'm just not that good. I don't really like sweets and never was much of a bread and pasta fan so those really remain out of the picture. I get carb creep after reaching reasonable weight by eating crackers, rice cakes, potatos or processed foods instead of sitting down for a real meal. I don't like sweet coffees either so the syrups are not a lure for me. If I crave a latte I make it with unsweetened soy milk and a little cream.
  • By the book, so far.

Mind you, the book doesn't cover all the food options I've got here in Bangkok - in place of potato- or corn-chips, Thailand has loads of protein-based crunchy snacks - fried or dried (or 'flossy' - I have no idea how the **** they give it THIS texture) cuttlefish, pork, miniature anchovies, broad beans, seaweed etc etc, available plain or in various flavours. Today I sprinkled a spoonful of crunchy wee anchovies (containing: anchovies, vegetable oil & salt) onto my caesar salad. I'm assuming that this is kosher, but can't be entirely sure. I'm avoiding the seaweed for the moment, but I think it should be addable later in the program, insh'allah.
  • I, for one, always rationalize everything and anything I do. That would make sense...no???? The good doctor simply devised a way of eating that would help masses of people to loose weight and better their overall health if the PRINCIBLES of the diet were followed. That is why Dr. Atkins came out with a book in 1999 and again revised his book in 2002? That's because it is not an EXACT SCIENCE! We will continue to learn things (as we have as a human race) that will advance our knowledge and understanding on health in general.

While I think it is great the you followed the diet to the "T", I also think that you should understand that not everybody could accomplish the leaps and bounds you have made the same way you have. There is more than one road to success. And....remember, all diets work if you stick with them...right??? So, people just have to find what THEY can stick with...and that's my only rationale/logic. But I tellawhat...I do offset...for example. If I have my Atkins Advantage Choco/Peanut Bar for breakfast...I make sure to get my workout in that day...also, I have 1/2 bar for breakfast and maybe 1/2 bar for desert after dinner. The bars do have alot of fiber (they are really not the devil), and with a full glass of water...it's like a meal. I'm stuffed, satisfied and no longer long for chocolate, sweets, anything.

Joyce
  • I deleted my previous post since...this seems to be turning into a debate
  • I read the book years ago, the first time I tried Atkins, and I had a lot of trouble sticking to it. However, I was able to lose a lot of weight and make it last for years. For this reason, the next two times (including this time), I've been convinced to do it my own way because it still gave me the results I wanted.

On the downside, doing it my own way allows for a lot of little cheats, which leads to bigger cheats, which eventually leads to abandoning the diet and gaining weight back again. *sigh* So, if anything, my experience has proven that making your own rules may not be the best idea for a long, long-term plan. On the other hand, I feel that, for me, doing it by the book would be too frustrating (I'm weak) and would just lead to me abandoning it for good.
  • Wow -- all very interesting. I have been doing 'my' induction for three weeks now and have lost 5 pounds -- not a huge amount, but enough to keep me thinking this will work over the long run.
    I did it once before about 6 years ago and lost 28 pounds and kept it off for a year until I fell away -- no excuses, just did.
    My 'my' way means having some skim milk in coffee in the morning, and lots of lettuce and salad veg without counting the carbs there (because I want to train myself to always eat loads of salad for the long run -- or whats left of the long run)... my worst habit though are Atkins bars, which I have been eating for breakfast with my coffee and skim milk ever since I did Atkins the last time. What a nut, huh? Somebody who ate them all through the days of carb bingeing!
    Anyway, this has been a very interesting discussion to read.
  • Jerseygyrl - sorry you feel that people expressing opinions different from yours is a debate. This website is set up for all in the hope that newbees like myself can get a variety of opinions (truthful opinons). If you feel like your voice is the voice of authority and no one should challenge it, or as you call it "debate" you....This is an open forum where everyone is entitled to express there opinions....agree with it or not...lost 200lbs or 5lbs....no one is an authority here...unless of course, your a ph.d. and we have forums here for them as well. Again, just freedom of expression...sorry this offends you. Joyce
  • Natalie & RubyJan, you've certainly made some very valid points

Dr. Atkins divised a very effect way to lose weight. When you look at the plan, it all makes perfect sense. From the start (Induction), the majority of your carbs for the day should be coming from non-starchy veggies & salads. In the OWL (On Going Weightloss) phase, more veggies are added, as well as, additional varieties of cheese's, nuts & seeds, berries, & juices. In Pre-Maintenance, as well as the Maintenance phases of Atkins, starchy veggies, legumes, fruits & grains are added.

"Convenience Foods"(bars & shakes,etc.) as Dr. Atkins refers to them as, are primarily for situations when you are unable to find "appropriate food" , when you don't have time for meal or when you need a snack. When you read the book & you read his words concerning these items...it is very clear, these were created solely for emergency situations. Of course, "Atkins Nutritionals" has other ideas because they are a business looking to make $$$$. In an emergency, I've occasionally eaten them myself...but, it is a rare occasion when I've been traveling an nothing else appropriate is available and never have I, nor would I, use them as a daily meal replacement.

It sounds like you have both learned from your past mistakes and that will certainly make you successful in your new lifestyle change!!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to the both of you!!!
  • Hey JerseyGyrl. I understand your response to this becoming a debate. That was not what this thread was meant to be. I will start a debate thread. I hope you read it. It will be interesting to see the responses. I am particularly interested in responses of people who have lost and kept the weight off, like you.