Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #31  
Somethin's gotta give

My gosh LB and JG!! You have done a wonderful job! That has got to feel fantastic!

Thanks JG- I will look at that site
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #32  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, the Nancy Grace replay comes on just about the time I'm settling in after the nite shift . . . OverTime comes back with a vengeance mid February so that will be the end of that. I get a kick out of her - plus I think she's sincere if a bit hokey at times. Gosh I can't stant Glen Beck - ick!

To back track a bit (and hoping everyone from last Week finds our New Week of Chat) - patty - so glad your brother saw your Dad waiting - what a comfort that must be and for your Mom too . . . like you lily, (and wow, what a survivor you are GF!) my Big Bro says the whole thing is just one blur . . . he didn't see anybody, I asked him right away when he could communicate again.

That kind of stuff just fascinates me - especially the older I get!

Did my floor exercises but overslept for the gym - determined to go tonight at work and keep this re-invention going.

PS:JerseyGyrl: You're before & after pics are just amazing!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #33  

Wow it's great to see so many new posts and new posters. It really is fun and motivational! I've posted on other sites too and I can imagine their reaction to Marie's peanut butter and heavy cream recipe! That's pretty funny!
Aud, I always thought it was 21 days to make a habit, but I think I'm getting into that mode in less than two weeks. I find myself not thinking so much about those "bad" foods I used to like.
Lilly, I wonder if I know your ex husband? We used to have a friend who collected WWII stuff and guns. He had a mannequin dressed in a **** uniform in his living room! Very creepy. But he's still married to the same woman and they have two daughters. We've moved away, but I suspect the mannequin (is that how you spell that?) didn't last through the two little girls. Can you imagine their sleepovers?
I should be on the recipe site too since I'm starting to get a little sick of grilled chicken breasts and pork chops. I wish I could eat eggs without feeling sick!! I grilled salmon the other night, but it wasn't quite done enough. I fight with DH who usually is the grill master because he overcooks fish, but this time I definitely over compensated and it didn't taste all that good. Of course, I could have thrown it back on the grill or even into the microwave but that would have meant admitting that it was undercooked and Grillmaster would have taken that as an admission of defeat. I think I'll have to go back to the pork chops.
And back to work! Tomorrow is my second WI. Wish me luck! Lynn
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #34  
Movin' and Losin'

Hey, all. I used to be a regular around here, too... lately, I've been lurking, but when I saw Marie join back in, and I figured I would, too.

I've started back on the low-carb way of life, and I feel SO much better than I have been. So far, I've lost 7 pounds (since Jan. 2), which I am very happy about! I'm finally determined to lose these last 30 pounds or so that have been hanging around forever.

I also started running (!). I'm trying out the couch to 5K plan, which has been going well so far. I'm really NOT a runner at all, but I really want to be, so I'm giving it a whirl. Plus, I love competition, so I'm anxious to try out my new skills in a race (when I finally get to the point of being able to run 5K, of course).

Hope you all have a fabulous day!

Take care,
Jina
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #35  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hubby and I are back home, and his is looped out on loratabs(sp?) and sleeping.

I knew it was going to be ok, and I didnt have anything to worry about. The Dr. seemed to pick up on my anxiety, and he was really good with both of us. I just cannot deal with stress the way I used to. Ive been checking emails, and getting hubby settled, watered and fed. Now Im ready to crash. I feel like I could sleep for 3 days. Go figure.

Anyway, I did some serious emotional eating today. It started with getting up late this morning, and having to rush around. I didnt have time to pack anything.. No matter, it is all excuses.

On the positive side, my hubby is home and doing well I will be back on my eating program tomorrow morning.

Marie
~ I had taken Alli a few months ago, and I found it worked very very well. But I wouldnt suggest taking it during induction if you are on Atkins. Save it for when you cut your fats back.......otherwise you spend too much time in the bathroom.

Aud~ya know, there is just something about that woman....I dont know what it is, but I cannot get the channel changed fast enough when she is on

Im off......I'll catch up with you all tomorrow.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #36  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Had a late start again this morning.I guess after having the bacterial infection my bod just wants to sleep & rest. My eye is getting better except for the outer corner is where it still hurts. I'm still taking a eye bath and putting the antibiotics in every day.

Doing good on the induction yesterday and today. My craving are going,away.
I'm taking more water by upping my amount to 96 oz instead of the 80 that I normally have. Started exercising again, worked on my arms last night. Today I going to try cardio.

Stayincalm-Welcome to the thread.I measure my food also as it an old WW habit. I only use the scale for protein and carbs.I have the same problem with exercise.Don't want him look at me,so I found a time when he go up to the bedroom to watch is programs I get out my exercising tapes,before my programs start. Hope you'll find some that will work for you.

JLK-Glad that you found us,were go good group,and lots of information You find on this board.I found that my service network Comcast has a free exercising fitness channel that on Demand and I go to the exercising tv and Leslie has 2 tapes One of jogging and the other boosters that I did last night.I have no idea if Concast is promoting them for people to buy the program,But until than I will use it until it disappears.

AUD-Never watched Nancy Grey,What channel is she on??? I probably watch a movie at that time.

CrabbyCakes-Big congrats on your
7.4-lb.thats fantastic WTG. I no idea if TOM will make you stall as TOM left me long ago.

MARIE-That a very good web site that Jersey Girl gave you,I think most of us on this board use her site. There other low carb web sites that you can go to, Just type in low carb recipes on the tool bar and you find many sites.My DH & I love country music,we listen to it on our satilite radio to the roadhouse every morning.You'll get those lbs off,if you true to low carbing.It worked for Jersery Girl and for Lily,so why wouldn't it work for you.

LILY-You done so well, I sure those 2 lbs will be easy to get off. My W-I used to be on Wed. but now that I'm on a Valentine Challenge on another board I change it to Mon.That when we decided to Weigh-In.

Have a great day,back to washing my linens.

Hugs BB

Last edited by beach bum; 01-15-2008 at 03:03 PM.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #37  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

marie, thanks for the compliment. I still struggle with maintaining, even after a yr. and half since meeting goal. I'm more an up 5-6 lbs., down 5-6 lbs. type person, LOL. I'm more on the downward swing again right now! I'm doing Atkins again to take the lbs. back off and hopefully to maintain. With calorie counting it seems I can't lose an ounce without dropping to 1200 cal's and 2 hrs. of exercise a day. I'm just not into starving myself that much just to get to eat a few carbs.

lynnar, it must be a different strange man. My EX has 2 sons and a daughter. I don't know if he has a **** soldier in his living room or not, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Jina, welcome and big congrat's on the 7 lbs. WTG. Join right in here and let us all get to know you!

Robin, so happy to hear your DH's surgery went well. Rest up when you can. Remember the old saying "no one gets sicker than a man". It holds very true at my house, LOL. Of course I'm the model patient,LOL. Don't worry about your eating for today, you will be back on track tomorrow!

BB, funny you mention hating to exercise in front of the DH. I don't even like mine watching me on my treadmill at home or when I do my old Richard Simmons videos. It would be different if he was up there shaking his butt too, LOL. Course, I might actually like that. LOL, you can probably tell he's been gone a week and he'll be home tonite!

My DH had another offer for a promotion at his oil field job last night. He was promoted to Assistant Driller just 2 weeks ago and got a hefty raise. Now he was offered the Driller position. Unfortunately he had to tell them that he doesn't feel he's ready to make the switch yet. He was a litte disappointed cause it would have been another hefty pay raise. But, they said they were very proud of the work he is doing and how quickly he is moving up in the Oil Field business after his only real previous work experience was as a State Trooper. They completely respected his decision to stay as Assistant Driller for 2-3 months before moving up to Driller. They told him a lot of guys would have jumped at the chance for the promotion whether they were ready or not just to get more pay. I made him feel better when I told him that he made the right choice. After all, why bite off more than you can chew and add a ton more stress to your life. I'm very proud he had the sense to make this smart decision.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #38  
Somethin's gotta give

Hey Jina- I guess we'll know we all came back when star shows back up-lol
and thanks to everyone else- its nice to feel welcome- Im in it to win it this time!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Default Wrapping up the evening...

More naughtiness. I swear, since I started this LC thing a couple of weeks ago its all about me, me, me. It is 4:52 here in No. Cal. I snuck out of work at 2:45 today (faked a meeting). Ran to the grocery store, picked up some more produce, meat and cheese, picked up my nine year old and came home. I LOVE BEING HOME DURING TIMES WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WORKIN' FOR THE MAN. I even was inspired to cut up all my lettuce and produce, dry it and put it in big zip locks. I feel so Paula Deen.

Lily: YOU are a true inspriration.
Marie: My! I wish I had your life. Egypt and a sexy crooner. Dang I'm jealous.
Everyone Else: I love your stories and seeing what everyone elses crazy days (daze) are like.

Here are some low carbing things I came up with when I was experimenting. Maybe some of you might like to try them.

Low Carb Cheesecake Pudding: Jello Sugar Free Cheesecake Instant pudding. Instead of two cups cold skim milk use 3/4 cup cold unsweetened soy milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Whisk and separate into four servings. Take one square of sugar free chocolate (I like dark and try to find some that has between 10-18 carbs per 3 squares) grate the chocolate over the top (just a sprinkle it adds some uuummppphhh). Put on a dollup of whipped cream. PS: I add extra spenda to my pudding because I like it tasty sweet.

Quick Go To Carbonara Twin: Cook a spagetti squash and separate the strands. Add prepared alfredo mix (pretty much low carb anyway but I check the label). Add four cut up poached chicken breasts. Handful of parm cheese. 4-5 slices crumbled bacon. YUMMY. Freezes pretty darn well too.

Corned Beef Rueben Bake: I made a corned beef on Sunday and we ate some for dinner. Here is what I did with thex leftovers this morning. I baked it for 1/2 hour before I left for work so it is ready to go in the oven tonight just to warm: 9X9 baking dish (glass with a lid) or approximation thereof. Slice four zucchini lengthwise (fairly thin so you get about four slices out of each). Lay 2 of them at the bottom of the dish. Squeeze the water out of some canned spinich and sprinkle that on. Layer some swiss cheese on that. Add a sprinkle of green onion. Thorw a couple of spoonfuls of full fat ricotta in there sprinkled around. Chop up your leftover corned beef and put a layer of that on top. Add another layer of sliced zucchini. Pour about 1/4 inch of chicken broth over and put a couple more slices of swis cheese on top. Cook at 350 covered for about 1/2 hour (this will steam the veggies). Serve with low carb homemade french dressing or just on it's own.

SSSsssssooooogoood!

Right now I have another creation in the oven. In dutch oven (mine is a La Cruset that I got on sale at Tuesday Morning marked down from 200 to 110 and worth every penny since I use it everyday) 1 head cauliflower cut into quarters, two large heads broccoli. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Add uncooked bratworst in and around so the brats are touching the bottom or side of the dutch oven. Throw in some of that famous chicken broth (I use about 1/4 inch). Bake for 45 minutes. More yummy. Makes for easy lunch leftovers.

ox SC

Have a great night everyone! (I should sneak out of work more often, puts me in a good mood)
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #40  

Robin: I forgot to tell you, you know...Since about the 3rd day of this little adventure I have NOT HAD A HOT FLASH. I just realized that. Aunt Flow should be here next week and typically, this is a hellish (translate that to She- Werewolf) week for everyone around me. For the last six months it has felt like the flu the week before and is a gastronomic **** the first two days after her plane lands. I'm holding off on any HRT until after I get into full blown meno (Dr. and I agree on that).

All: Maybe this diet will help me to avoid commiting a perimenopausal act of violence and ending up being featured on Nancy Grace. That would certainly be a nice feature in People Magazine: "Half her Size and Atkins Saved Her From Inflicting Needless Acts of Violence On Family, Co-Workers and that poor Bas*&RD at Safeway Who Failed to Stock The Heavy Cream."
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #41  
Somethin's gotta give

SC- how much would I need to pay you to come cook for me?? If it doesnt have less than 4 ingredients and one pot...Im lost.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #42  

I just love it when people think I'm domestic. I'm not much of a cook which is probably why I really piled on the pounds over the last four years. Part of my analyzing eating has brought me to the realization that tho' carbs are definitely my downfall processed food speeded up the process. If I think back over the past few years virtually everything that I made to eat in this house was frozen or processed and prepackaged. Convenience took over my life and my body as well. I'm eating lo carb now but I think that if I weren't trying to get a jump start on this weight problem I might lean towards whole foods. It has really made a difference. I have not really prepared food, from scratch, in twelve years of marriage. I mean the occasional turkey and steaks with fries but you get my point. This is a huge effort to me. The cooking part anyway. I've been trying to attack it the same way I attack problems at work. What is the most conventional way to build something, what is the cheapest way to build something, what is the Cadillac version, what is the Yogo version and what is a nice Ford Taurus compromise. Some of the engines have definitely burned with my various concoctions but I have come up with some really interesting recipes that I did not find on the recipe sites and that is keeping me interested.

While off line a in the past hour I just made DH a kind of cool lunch for tomorrow called, Egg Salad Salad. Basically, I made him a salad of spinach, iceberg and spring mix with cucumbers, a handfuld of sunflower seeds and some artichoke hearts. Then I made some egg salad (with mayo, mustard, a dash of curry, chopped dill and a sprinkle of splenda) to throw on top so he doesn't need to use dressing. I'm on a roll here. Of course, I typically test this stuff on him first.

tee hee.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #43  
Somethin's gotta give

I!...you!!! we!!!....what is it like to have a husband who eats like that? OMG- if I put that wonderful salad in front of my husband, he'd cock his head like a confused bulldog and walk away grunting...*sigh* Im jealous
Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #44  

Has anyone read the Atkins book recently? Isn't there something in there about eating small portions of fat for people who just can't seem to lose? Kind of like a fat fast?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #45  

Hi Carol: I have heard of a meat fast where basically you eschew the veggies and pretty much eat meat but I'm not sure about cutting down on the fat. What seems to have jump started me has been watching the carbs and the calories (20 carbs or less and 900-1200 calories. I try to stick right in the range of 1000 to 1100 calories. So far that is working for me.

SC