Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #16  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I read a lot in the Chicks in Control Forum too, robin. Have a lifelong food obsession/relationship that I haven't dealt with well.

I do best when I don't think of Atkins as a "diet." A diet for me is something thats temporary . . . or something to "cheat on" etc. LC makes me feel great and it's the "cheating" part that makes me feel like crap. I think we are literally poisoning ourselves with refined sugar & flours and I need to keep my focus on this as a lifestyle choice I've made for all the right reasons - weight loss is an added bonus, ya know?

Was reading along over @ ChicksinControl in the Wee . . . liked what someone Posted about " . . . Food is just food!" Looking back, I've looked and felt my best when I adopt this attitude, ya know? Really need to change my thought processes of attaching such significance to food - For instance, the focus on things "I can't have."

So what - most times those foods don't taste as good as my imagination makes them . . . not to mention making my pancreas SCREAM with insulin overload to process!

Looking back, I've looked and felt my best when I get in touch with TRUE hunger - no easy feat but can be done. When I've stayed OP (eating small MEALS frequently) and kept up with my mega water intake . . . there is very little true hunger in this way of life so no reason to snack.

I have never stalled when eating OP - no matter the AMOUNT of eating OP! When true hunger hits - I've re-eaten an entire meal . . . ****, I've eaten half a pot roast b4 . . . or another plate of fried chicken!

I've never even stalled when emotional eating like crazy as long as it was overeating OP . . . I've eaten BAGS of pork rinds w/sour cream etc like a wolverine etc etc . . .

The only things that have stalled me is eating OffPlan snacks/foods . . . even small amounts.

Counting "NET" carbs instead of counting TOTAL carbs was a disaster for me. D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R.

Not getting lots of water in.

I'm working very hard on losing the "deprived" feeling . . . I'm NOT deprived - as a matter of fact - even on my worst days this wol is healthier than the vast majority of North Americans . . . I feel great . . . I lose inches/change body dimensions and keep internal functions on a steady even keel instead of the roller coaster of processing JUNK sugars/flours laden with chemicals!

That is all.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #17  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Thank you for this!! I need some motivation to just STAY on track, I guess when EVERYONE I know loses at least 5lbs on induction, and I lose nothing, literally i didnt lose a thing on induction, it's frustrating and I KNOW Atkins is working, it just seems like it is working differently for me than for other people T
Your Welcome Kraw! I know where you're coming from and I know how hard it is. I've been trying to lose weight since forever and no luck. But I feel with Atkins we CAN eat all kinds of good foods and feel satisfied. Make youself a big ol steak and eat it. You'd be surprised at how full you feel and you don't crave anything. If you get hungry later eat a boiled egg or something. Even green olives are allowable on induction, at least 20 of them, I believe, are allowable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncezilla View Post
Good morning. I had a bad, high carb weekend and feel awefull. Eating bad food makes me feel so sick and yet I can't stop myself once I start. So I'm back to square 1, and clearing off the treadmill.
I'm so hungry today, the first day back is so hard.
Thanks for the encouraging posts everyone and CONGRATS to everyone who lost!

My favorite LC snack is pickles, the Jar claims they have 1 carb per 30gr. but 0 callories. Impossible? does anyone know how they can make this claim? I eat a lot of them and they've never stalled me.
Hi Punce!
Sorry about your hc weekend, yeah eating that way makes us feel sick. Our body is not used to those type of foods anymore, but that's a good thing isn't it! Eat something with fat. Atkins say's we can eat as much of the meats/poultry and fish that he listed.
You will feel so satisfied too!
Come on Punce, you can do this, I know you can.
I am the worst at trying to lose weight and for some reason my body, mind and soul are finally one in losing weight and this is a first for me. So if I can do this, anyone of you can do this!!!

Dust off your treadmill and use it, it will clear your mind and you will feel so much better. You will be in the "Zone"!!

I'm sending prayers and good positive thoughts your way Everyone!

Take Care!!!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #18  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitinTime View Post
I see people like JersyGyrl and how she just perserverd, didn't change a thing and lost her weight, being dilligent and patient with herself. In time she took off all the weight she needed.
Atkins does work! We can lose weight on this plan but we need to stick to it and do it the way we're supposed to.
Awwww thanks so much Diana When anyone asks me for advice about losing weight, the first thing I tell them...NEVER think of this as a diet you can quit once you've lost the weight!! Successful & permanant weight loss requires 1 thing...changing your eating habits for the rest of your life (total lifestyle change). If you think you can go on any weight loss plan, lose the weight and then go back to your old ways...you are setting yourself up for failure! The recipe for success is 1)Committment 2)Determination 3) Consistency... You must make a committment to be determined & consistant!

Anyone that knows me knows this is the way I eat 365 days a year. Almost 4years ago when I read Dr. Atkins book, one thing in particular jumped out at me & stuck in my mind "Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure! BELIEVE it because its TRUE!! I hear people on eating plans say all the time "I'm not going to deprive myself"..."If I want a "treat" I'm going to have it"...etc.etc.etc. Then they sit scratching their heads because they can't understand why the weight isn't coming off. Eating plans were written to be followed to the letter for optimum results. I am an Atkins purtist...I don't believe in "tweaking" this way of eating nor do I believe in shakes, bars, low carb products such as breads, cakes, candies, cookies, chips, dreamfields pasta, diet soda's, crystal ligjht, flavored water, excessive artificial sweetener etc. Do the plan the way it was intended and it WORKS!!!
Remember, "If You Do What You Always Did...You'll Get What You Always Got" You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-17-2007 at 10:01 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #19  
Mrs. Determined

Amen to that Kim!!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #20  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the encouraging posts!
I've been feeling a little down, and reading all your posts realy helps.
I can do this.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #21  
aud
lc lifestyle

I wanna have PODCASTS . . . soon as I figure out how to put phone numbers into my cell phone!

I'd like to read more about ketogenics - gonna google the Doctor azzie . . . hope you don't lose too much enthusiasm - I count on your go get 'em spirit! My audio is goofed up so can't listen to the YOUTUBE link. I rely on my Big Bro to fix all things computer - he's due for a visit!

Busy busy & late late night at the Salt Mine . . . got my long walk in tho' and have stayed gloriously OP . . . MUST make time for the gym tomorrow. Just Must.

Have a Great Hump Day Gals!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #22  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aud View Post
I wanna have PODCASTS . . . soon as I figure out how to put phone numbers into my cell phone!

I'd like to read more about ketogenics - gonna google the Doctor azzie . . . hope you don't lose too much enthusiasm - I count on your go get 'em spirit! My audio is goofed up so can't listen to the YOUTUBE link. I rely on my Big Bro to fix all things computer - he's due for a visit!

Busy busy & late late night at the Salt Mine . . . got my long walk in tho' and have stayed gloriously OP . . . MUST make time for the gym tomorrow. Just Must.

Have a Great Hump Day Gals!
www.thefitcast.com is the main website for that Podcast. I get mine off of iTunes (you can search for it and subscribe--it's free!). Cassandra Forsythe isn't a doctor (yet)--she's still in the process of getting her PhD. She's involved in a lot of research on Ketosis--she did it for her M.A., and she's continuing it for her PhD. If you download the episode with her on it, it's episode 13 of The FitCast. There's also a pay-for interview with her on The Fit Cast's "Insider" website, where she's interviewed specifically about Ketogenic diets and BetaAlanine (I bought it, because I think she's incredibly smart It was worth the $2.99 or whatever I paid for it). In general, I really dig that Podcast, so if you're interested, I'd start listening from the beginning Good stuff!

Oh! And Cass does have her own website. It's http://cassandraforsythe.com/ and her blog is http://cassandraforsythe.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Azure; 10-17-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #23  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

I have to make this fast as Leo and I are going out to the Mall to return a space maker that doesn't fit in our bathroom. Going to look for a smaller model.While I'm out in that area I'm going to a craft store to buy some small craft to keep my hands busy while watching tv. I noticed when my hands are busy I'm less attempted to visit the refrigerator.

I read somewhere on a thread ,that staying away from kitchen is the best way not to binge. I don't have any doors to close in the kitchen area. so,I decided I will keep the computer up during the night and close the door behind me and either post to you guys or explore the internet.

Have to go, will read and post after I get home.

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #24  
Mrs. Determined

Hi Ladies!

Beautiful Morning, isn't it!

Hi Aud, I just re-read you post from yesterday and I though it was really good!
You're on the right track mentally, I believe that you CAN do this way of eating. I think that we just can't give up on something just because it seems like we are not losing fast enough. Everything takes time.
I'm not saying that you are giving up, in fact you sound very,"I'm determined to do this" attitude.

Yesterday, I went out to lunch with my sister, who is doing Atkins too. We ate at Carl's Jr and I had the taco salad, thinking I wasn't going to eat the shell, well, I did! It was around 75 carbs. Yeah, tons! But for dinner, I ate my normal chicken tenders and salad, exercised for about 10 min and when I weighed myself this morning I was still at 205.

I didn't condem myself for that, I just kept going and that's what we need to do, just keep going. I wish I could do this woe perfectly, but I know I may eat something that is hc. But I'm not going to be thinking about my next cheat. We'll just carry on and eat what we're supposed to eat keep our mind free and clear of all that. To me, that's the reality of it, that I know I may get off plan, but I'm not going to put my focus on that. My focus is on what I'm doing to lose and what I need to do.

Yes you can Punce, you can do this! You have the heart and desire, and just by being here shows that you want to and can! Don't give up Punce, we're here for you. Don't let the food control you, you control it. I read someone saying that we know we can have any food we want, but we choose not too, because we know not all foods are beneficial for us.

Hang in there! We don't have far to go, we're almost there, to our goal . I need you all to, to get through this! When your down, I feel down for you, when your up, I feel up too! We need to just forge ahead and put in our minds that we can overcome this weight we trying to lose!

I really care about you All and I just want us to lose this weight! When Christmas comes, we're going to wonder where time went and we're either going to say, "wow, I could have lost 10lb by now, or we're going to say, "Wow I lost 10lbs, I'm so glad I stayed on plan!"

And I don't want to offend anyone who may try to tweak they're weight loss. We need to do what works for us and then continue doing it. We know it's not easy losing, but we can try to enjoy the ride and make it easy on ourselves by not seeing this as a diet, but a woe and a wol. Like you said Aud!

We Are Going To Lose Weight!!!! WooHoo!
Have a Great Day Ladies!!!!

Last edited by FitinTime; 10-17-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #25  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning!

Instead of retyping, I just cut and pasted what I put in my blog this morning....

Well Crap!!! So I go to my networking meeting this morning, (not my regular one, its in about an hour) and the presentor is talking about her chocolate company, and handing out free samples. I pass the basket and didnt take any. She comes back and says..."Robin!! You didnt get any!! Here take some extras for your husband and daughter!!" I smile and thank her very much....tell her my husband and daughter will be thrilled! I tucked them into the deepest darkest part of that new BIG purse I bought. I get back to the shop, and dug deep into my purse and handed them all to my husband, and said "Kathy says Hi!" He proceeded to hide them for me Gotta love that man!

So Im good! Another meeting this afternoon, I will have my boiled egg before I go, stop and pick up another starbucks on the way to the meeting, then eat my lunch when I get back. I will not even go to the luncheon table to see what is there. Why? Because I have my lunch planned out and I will stick to my plan!

I dont think I will get to the 4pm oa meeting today, but I will be able to get to the 630 meeting tomorrow. However, if I was feeling like I really needed it, I would make the time.

So thats that in a nutshell for today
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #26  

Hello, I'm eating my usual salad with grilled chicken. I've been staying on plan and exercising but the scale has not moved in three weeks! I'm wondering how long I can last this way. I've been trying to be more careful about stray carbs. I no longer eat sausage (1 gram of carb) for breakfast. Instead I've been eating left over pork chops. I try to stay away from cheese at night too, but still no progress. I need to do something!!
I don't want to cut out my one salad a day, but I don't feel like I'm in Ketosis, except for a few isolated moments here and there. I'd like to up my exercise, but it's hard with a full time job. I get to the gym most mornings and do either a step class (50 mins) or eliptical (25 mins) and floor work. I could maybe add a walk at the end of the day, but I'm usually tired by then and just not in the mood. Or I could add more intensity to my gym time-since I've been doing the same stuff for a long time. But I'm always afraid I'll hurt myself if I add more steps.
Didn't mean to whine, but I am looking for something that will work!! It's hard to stay on plan when you don't get results. I see the people around me eating and drinking all kinds of unhealthy stuff and they're smaller then I am. What gives??
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #27  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Lynnar,

Would you mind posting exactly what you are eating & drinking?

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-17-2007 at 01:42 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #28  

I don't mind trying to post exactly what I'm eating and drinking, but I haven't been journaling.
Yesterday I had two little pork chops for breakfast. I cooked them (on Sunday) in canned tomatoes, so there were some tomatoes there too. For lunch I had a salad (lettuce, cucumber, red onion) with grilled chicken and blue cheese dressing. No cheese on the salad. The dressing has 1 gr./ serving of carbs. I ate one cheddar cheese stick as a snack. I actually had two dinners. I ate a burger w/out a bun. And then when I finally got home from work at 9 I ate two frozen grilled chicken breasts (precooked) with a sauce made from about a tablespoon of sour cream and a couple of TB of parm cheese. I drank more coffee then usual yesterday because I had such a long day at work. I probably had four cups of coffee with half and half and splendor. The only other drinks I had were one diet coke and some flavored water (no carbs). I drink plain water at the gym and at lunch. I think I get enough water in.
Today, so far, I've had the same porkchops and salad. No cheese stick yet. Less coffee, but still two cups.
I know I need to count the carbs in the half and half and the cheese, but I still think I stay pretty low. I just don't see myself giving up coffee while I have a such a crazy schedule. I drive my daughter in for early morning cross country practice once or twice a week and then stay in town until at least five, but once or twice a week, I end up working late too. Naturally, the early days and the late days end up being the same days.
Thanks for any advice you've got for me!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #29  
aud
lc lifestyle

Hiya LC'ers!

Hope I didn't come across as too heavy duty the other day . . . just part of my own journey, ya know? Everyone does need to find out what's right for themselves. I think I am getting clearer and clearer on what is right for me and just need to execute it. What was it jerseyG? Commit to being determined & consistent? "Just one taste won't hurt?"

I've had such great success on LC when I'm determined & consistent! Not just this time around but an amazing loss a few years back. I'm also trying to focus on just how great this wol makes me feel and think of the weight loss as an added bonus. My cholesterol #'s are plummeting and skyrocketing in a good way - determined to keep these thoughts in the FOREFRONT of my outlook.

The one taste thing DOES hurt me - moreso than the average person I think - let's face it - I'm soon to be 47 and have a lot of years of evidence that there is a very real problem of one taste hurting me! Getting a handle on that . . . oh yes, indeedy I am!

az - Tx for the info . . . will explore when possible.

kraw & puncie: Let's keep on keeping on, shall we? So glad you both keep on Posting & letting us know how you are! We'll get thru this together as fittie says - look forward to your encouragement as well GF!

Hope you have a good mall shop beachie - good idea on the busy hands!

Where is Our Beloved Bouncie????? AND lilyb???

Hope you're doing good slimmingsi & alie!

Saving you for last lynnar - that has GOT to be frustrating for you . . . I can't give up coffee either . . . just can't . . . but have managed to give up diet soda's . . . not sure if either thing is bad or good. Judging from your sample meal - I think you should have lost tons by now - with or without exercise!

Are you on any medications - long term or new?

Hope jerseyG can spot something here . . . and also hoping for a gigantic Atkins-WHOOOOOOSH to come your way soon! Hang in there!

Running late . . . will catch up with everyone in the Wee Hours . . .
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #30  

Aud, thanks for Whoosh-wish! I guess I've been thinking something like that too. I just need to wait until something finally gives.

I've done Atkins before too, but not with a lot of success. I used to be able to lose weight when I was in my 20's. I'd do low calorie-sometimes really low calories- and exercise, then slowly gain it back and then do it again. But since the last baby (the one who is now 15) it's been mostly gaining. I think I've been on some kind of diet for most of those 15 years and when I'm not on an official diet I tried the "just eat healthy forever" route-although the definition of healthy changes every now and then. But I've never been someone who eats a lot of sweets or a lot of fried foods. Over the last 15 years, while I haven't been low carb, I've been following most of the healthy eating rules you hear about on Good Morning America and yet I've gained something like 60 pounds. Before I started Atkins last spring (and then took the summer off) I went to the doctor and got him to do blood work but that didn't help either. So I guess I'm getting kind of desperate. I think I'd just stay this size if I wasn't also old! Over the summer I ran into a couple of situations where I just couldn't keep up. The weight got in the way of what I wanted to do like climb up a ladder to get back into the boat from the water!
So now that everyone is sick of me whining, I better get back to work. Thanks for letting me complain.