3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   LOW CARB CHAT! CHAT! 9/17 thru 9/23 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/123007-low-carb-chat-chat-9-17-thru-9-23-a.html)

aud 09-17-2007 01:20 PM

LOW CARB CHAT! CHAT! 9/17 thru 9/23

Afternoon LC'ers! How'd your weekends go? My weekend consisted of just yesterday as my day of "rest" - HA!:dizzy:

Got in TWO work-outs at the Y . . . and the usual amount of MAJOR picking up around this chaotic house/housework.

Also watched My Beloved Rams fall to 0-2 . . . a real heartbreaker - but resisted the BEER drowning temptation and am feeling faboo today as a result.

Made the spinach bread and just LOVED! Tx for the tip azzie!:hug:

Hope everyone knows that anyone can start the Chat Thread each week - whoever is up earliest?:^:

Azure 09-17-2007 02:06 PM

Afternoon, LC people! :hug: to my Aud!

My weekend was really good. I stayed on plan, even with the boyfriend here--which is awesome! I've set aside one scheduled "cheat" day for myself every month, and today was the day! So, I had pizza for lunch. I'm glad I picked something that I was going to enjoy :) But, I'm full--so it's time to toss out what I didn't eat of the pizza and get back on my LC plan! It'll be LC for dinner again, and back to our regularly scheduled program. This "cheat" day is really a sanity day. If I know ahead of time that I have a day coming where I can have whatever's tickling my fancy, I'm way more able to just say "no" to other cravings the rest of the time.

It's so good to be able to have a cheat meal and still feel like I'm in control of my dieting...I think scheduling it really helps with that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another fabulous LC week :D Hope the rest of you ladies had an awesome day!

deedee10 09-17-2007 02:20 PM

Hello all, I had a great week and weekend. I'm down 4 pounds from 153 to 149 after deciding to eat low carb. I was stuck at 153 for the longest time and even though I counted calories, I was so hungry all the time. I'm going to miss my french bread but I understand there are many low carb alternatives out there. Setting a mini-goal to lose 9 pounds by November 1st and I'm determined to up the exercising. Hope all of you have a successful week!

Bouncing 09-17-2007 02:55 PM

Hi everybody, happy Monday. I haven't been around since Friday, oops! Been on plan, though, extra emphasis on water. Saw the dr. Friday, now on an antibiotic I never heard of before. So far it doesn't seem to be doing a thing. I'll give it a couple more days, and if it still doesn't start working, I'll email the doc and whine. That's what he said to do.

Speaking of the doc, he really emphasized hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. He said Atkins can be hard on kidneys, can lower resistance to uti's, if we don't drink enough WATER. So he appears to be squarely in your corner, Kim. 64 oz. a day is good, and should be plain water. Anything else should be over-and-above, not part of the 64 oz. With good hydration, Atkins is very good for most people, and so is SB. He has no problem with Atkins forever, but sez many have trouble sticking to it. But of course, most people have trouble sticking to ANYTHING! I for one wouldn't be able to stick to an Oreo & Ice Cream diet, if that was all I got. He was concerned that we starve ourselves on 20-30g carb/day. Like most people who have never actually counted carbs for any length of time, he had no idea how many wheelbarrows of veggies it takes to get 30g a day!

Oh, I made a new batch of my blueberry muffins last night and had one for brekky. I love those things -- the ingredient list shines. They're very high in fiber, which is sooooo good for the body. I use a cup each almond flour and flax meal, a pinch of salt, 2 tsp baking powder (not that much when you divide it by 12!), 4 beaten eggs (so I don't get streaks of egg white in the batter), a stick of melted butter, 18 drops of liquid splenda, and a cup of fresh blueberries stirred in at the end. Muffin pan (greased), 20 mins. @ 350. Yum! And all wholesome, natural ingredients except for the splenda, and that was liquid so contains NO maltodextrin. I'm really paying attention to the natural-ingredients philosophy now. NO food with ingredients I can't pronounce! My next step is to make all my own salad dressings so I know exactly what's in them. Must be the Jersey Girl Influence. I swear I'll be another purist, in time.

Here in the coastal mountain range of northern CA, it went from ceiling-fan-all-night to get-the-down-comforter-outta-the-basement, in one day! I guess fall is really here now. I bet there will be a week of two of indian summer in October.

My weight is back down again in spite of the antibiotics. Betcha it's cuz I'm carrying around a 30-oz ice tea glass full of water, everywhere I go, and every time I think of it I take a swig or two.

Just keepin' on keepin' on,

aud 09-17-2007 03:15 PM

Dorothy L. Sayers, eh bouncie? The mystery writer from the 30's?:?: If so, one time on lay off I tried to read most of her books in order. Really liked them.

I'm up to 100oz of h2o . . . a lot of days over that. Feel sluggish if I miss.

lilyb - if you come in here while I'm at work - can you look at last weeks chat - had a liver question for ya - if not - I'll link later - running late as usual.

Ahhhh yes, CONTROL, azzie! That fine fine line . . . I like your "permission" idea. Not willing to try it yet - feeling too Zonie at the moment.;)

Hiya & tx for stopping in deedee!:hug:

Where areya beachie & fit & puncie & & & & EVERYONE?????:listen::nono::shrug::drill:

CYA ALL in The Wee Hours of the night!:gossip:

beach bum 09-17-2007 03:48 PM

Hi Ladies:)

Just checking in to say hello,very busy this morning,as I lack this weekend watching Tiger and the PGA. Leo has to go to the hospital to exercise 3 times per week,and I will attempt to exercise while hes gone.

Hate it when I have to double up on housework,but I had a choice over the weekend and made the decision to watch the golf tournament Sat & Sun.

Had time to squeeze in my exercising also.Did 30 mins of WATP 2 Mile tape.

My eating over this weekend was good,and I'm sticking to low carb/ beach so far,so maybe the scale will co-operated again this Sat.

AUD-Thanks for starting us up today,I'm not good posting new threads,that why If I have anything I want to post I use the Chat thread,as I did once and lost everything. I have to make azures spinach bread also,but right now I too busy to bake. I have to make my Revolution Rolls,as I'm running out of them and need some for the end of the week menu.

AZURA-I have a cheat day also but its not once a month its every Sat. after W-I when I have one high carb meal. Glad you had a great time with your boyfriend. Funny you're on the same wave length as I,I believe that you need a cheat day no matter what diet.No I'm NOT TALKING about JUNK CHEAT. I'm talking about having a higher carb meal for one day and than get back to L/C. I might be on the beach,but I still believe in low carbing.

Bouncing-Thanks for bring the 64 oz of plain water to our attention. I would have continued to have 32 oz of plain water and 32 oz of crystal lite.Now I'm going to concentrate on having the correct amount of water.Thanks for sharing. Maybe thats why I'm stalling,on the scale. Hope you feel better,and that the anti-biotic works soon.

DeeDee-Congrats on your big weight loss your doing great,WTG you'll be down in no time.

Have to get back to work

Hugs :)BB

FitinTime 09-17-2007 03:51 PM

I Ladies, how are you?

I'm doing good, haven't lost anything except those 2 lbs, but I don't even know if those 2 lbs are lost because when I weighed myself this morning, I moved my scale around to see in the light and when I did, it read a different number?! So I moved the scale in different parts of the kitchen and got 4 different readings!

I'm just going to be satisfied with the inches I lost. I am able to wrap a bath towel around me. Not the small regular size but the nice size. No not the beach towel either, LOL!!!

We have to be happy with our progress, so we can keep going!

Love Ya's!!

soon2Bfab 09-17-2007 05:36 PM

Hello everyone!! I fell off the LC wagon this Sunday. It was my niece's birthday & she couldn't understand why I wouldn't want cake....she's a very convincing 4 year old. I had a piece (at least I stayed away from the ice cream!) Back on track today.....making the spinach bread today!!

deedee10 09-17-2007 08:42 PM

Thank you everyone for your warm greetings and I wish you all continued success! I have a question about sweets. After every meal I feel like I need to eat something sweet and usually my first choice is chocolate. I know this is a habit that I should work on breaking but its so hard. My downfall and the reason I'm overweight is my weakness for desserts of all kinds. I would rather eat a dessert than a good meal. Well, I'm trying to follow the Somersize plan of low carb eating because it seems a little more lenient than the actual Atkins plan but still effective and the impression I get is if I eat any kind of sugar at all, even a small morsel, I won't lose weight and I may even gain weight because it turns the fat I'm eating into insulin which in turn will slow down or even halt the ketosis effect. Does anyone know if this is correct? It kind of makes sense to me. I heard Suzanne say if you are very diligent in the beginning and stick to plan, then when you have lost your weight, you can have a little chocolate once in awhile. Well, I just had two pieces of the little Dove chocolate candies and I'm really beating myself (and my self esteem) to a pulp ;-(

deedee10 09-17-2007 08:46 PM

Oh gosh, and there's a birthday for a friend here at work tomorrow with cake! Why???? Lord, give me strength......

Azure 09-17-2007 09:08 PM

DeeDee-- I just logged in and caught your post. Way back after I had been on Prednisone and gained 30 pounds (I was 13 years old and gained 30 pounds in a month, skyrocketing me to my all time high weight of 210), I did the "Somersizing" diet and lost the 30 pounds I gained. I ended up eating a VERY low carb diet, I know now looking back. I didn't like vegetables at all...and I ate a lot of canned tuna fish, I remember that. *shrugs* I don't think it was any less rigid than something like South Beach Diet or Atkins...and I prefer Atkins :)

I think any program works, so long as you can stick to it and your body responds to it. I find that low carb has worked the best for me, and I like the way the Atkins program is structured.

FitinTime 09-17-2007 10:09 PM

DeeDee,
Have you tried eating coconut bark? I guess it's a big thing now, plus the coconut oil is supposed to be good for the body.
Some ladies even say that it helps them lost weight, something about the coconut oil boosting the metabolism.
I know of some ladies who are eating this while doing lc, but it affects everyone differently. I think they eat about 6 T a day, it makes them full and they don't feel like eating alot. Just eat at your own discretion, don't eat too much in the begining if you try it. I made some and it was really good. Instead of the Kroger sweetner, I used SF Da Vinci vanilla flavor.
Here is the recipe:

bark is like a chocolate bar.

4 Tbs EVCO (I got Nutiva cause a bunch of folks recommeneed this brand and said it tasted better)
1 Tbs Cocoa powder
2 OZ almonds
8 drops Kroger Calorie Free sweetner
2 reg packets of splenda
1/4 tsp of vanilla extract

Melt CO in micro for 1 min, add everything but the almonds and use a wisk to mix VERY well. Then add almonds, mix again and stick in freezer till hard. Simple, easy, and quick! I think it might be better with a tiny bit more cocoa but I think I will leave it as it is.

Oh and nice to meet ya!!!:D

angihali 09-18-2007 05:11 AM

Good morning everyone. Hope you don't mind me joining you all over here. This appears to be were the most frequent postings are. I'm still getting frustrated but still hanging in there. My scale still is not budging. I was actually up .4 oz this morning. I want my numbers to go the opposite way, not up! Today is day 12 of the induction for me and now I have lost a total of less then 3 lbs for the past 12 days! I am staying on plan eating only what I am allowed during the induction period. My ketones are still in the 2++ zone, but my weight does not want to move. My clothes are not getting looser either. They are still exactly the same, so I have not lost any inches either. If I was loosing inches I would not be so upset. I'm sticking to water only now for my beverage. I am hoping to see a change in the scale by Friday. I'm also hoping that my total loss will be more then the 3 lbs I had lost in the first week, especially when the first 5 days I had showed a loss of 5 lbs, before it went up. I have been in a pretty good ketosis since day 3.

DeeDee, I find the the sweet cravings tend to lessen after you get through the first week. I actually noticed that my chicken kabob today at the DFAC (My only choice for lunch is what is being served in the military chow hall) tasted like it had been marinated in something sugary (decided not to eat it). I could taste the sugar in it, my husband could not. Instead I ate only the cheeseburger without any bread. I was gone to have a salad, but there was no LC dressings today, so I did without, but ate a few cucumber slices.

Diana - The Coconut Bark sounds good, I may try that myself later, but not for awhile. As long as I can do without the Junk Food Sweets, I will try to stay away from Alternative Sweets, other then the sugar free jello.

I just need to get out what seems to me to be a slump for my induction. There is a doctor here in Kuwait that specializes in Atkins for loosing weight and controling diabetes, cholesterol, and heart disease. I may actually make an appointment to go see him, especially since he is very much pro-Atkins.

aud 09-18-2007 05:27 AM

YAY! MORE Chatters!:dance::flow1::flow2:

Unfortunately I just realized I cannot comprehend ANYTHING I'm reading here!:idea::yikes:

Will catch up over coffee . . . :coffee: . . .

'Night All!:tired:

FitinTime 09-18-2007 07:20 AM

Hi Angihali,
Nice to have you here! Can I ask, are you in the military stationed in Kuwait or just live there?

On the coconut bark, yeah if you're just on induction phase, I'd wait on that.
Just keep hanging in there, and make sure what your eating doesn't have any hidden carbs or sugars.
You'll start losing, so don't give up!!! If you feel yourself getting frustrated, then come chat with us, we'll get fired up!! :carrot:

You can do it!

Hi Aud!
Your so funny! Coffee sounds good right now too, but I want the real thing not decafe,lol. Are up to go to work or back from work?
Hope you're doing good with your woe! Keep up the good and work and let's get 'er done!

Talk to you all in a bit!