How do you track your food intake?

• I use a program called BalanceLog. I like it because I can use it either on my PC or on my PalmPilot. You set up a profile and answer questions and it will give you what calorie level you should be at to lose whatever many pounds by the goal date. I put in a pound a week. Then you can put your weight in and it will graph it for you. It has a line for what your progress should be. So if my weight is at or below that line I know I am on target.

You can pick what diet you want - most of them are the ADA guidelines .. their low carb option is really not all that low carb. But you can also customize, by percentage, fats, carbs, protien. Then it will track how you are doing with those too

I personally think they are a little stingy with the calories, but if you do a food log it sure is nice to just be able to carry that PDA around and enter food pretty much as you eat it.

Nona
  • I have Fitday and love it.
  • I shoot for 0 carbs a day and then end up around 20 here in the Induction part - I've been posting in our menu Threads mostly.
  • Personally speaking, I've never counted calories...only carbs. I stay between 20-25 a day. Basically, I read labels. Its worked for me!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
  • I use fitday.com too.
  • Quote: Personally speaking, I've never counted calories...only carbs. I stay between 20-25 a day. Basically, I read labels. Its worked for me!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
    That used to work for me when I was younger. Now that I'm an aging geekette, my PDA is my best friend it seems!

I used to be able to lose at a steady rate as long as I stayed under 100gm of carbs a day. Not sure at this point what my "sweet spot" is, but I am sure it's much lower than that.

Now that I am back to tracking, I should be able to find out soon.

Nona
  • I write my food down each day in my home journal. I try to stay at 25-30 carbs most days. Do occasionally go over with my fruit or Oats. I try to remember to log my meals in here on Atkins each day.
  • Quote: That used to work for me when I was younger. Now that I'm an aging geekette, my PDA is my best friend it seems!

Nona,

How young do you think I am ....I turned 45 in August!
  • Quote: Nona,

How young do you think I am ....I turned 45 in August!
    T'wasn't really a comparison, just a comment on what I have experienced.

I got a few years on you ... I'll be 54 in May. I think at 45 my experience would have been much like yours. I was 43 when I FINALLY got my hypothyroid diagnoses and treatment and lost 30 lbs relatively easily on Atkins. Counted carbs only then. Then the weight stopped coming off and I have not been able to get the rest of it off since then. Have bounced between 172 and 165. Start out well, hit a health crisis and slide back up. Last one was my gall bladder, on Halloween. Had it out on Dec. 4 and don't miss it at all.

Anyway, I am giving it another try. Possibly the calories are incidental, I don't worry too much about them, but do keep an eye on them.

Just found out my dance group has not one but two gigs on Sunday the 14th. The first is a healt expo put on by a local TV station and we may end up on TV. I had sure as heck better get practicing. I have been a little deconditioned since the gall bladder surgery.

I know this is not on topic for this thread but here's the group I dance with.

http://www.puredc.org/index.html

If you look on the picture page and scroll down to the group pics of 5 of us I am the short one to your far right.

I'm a stubborn old bat, I refuse to stop dancing, and this group is not about how good you look on stage, it's about building community and bringing positive energy to the world.

Nona (straying just a little off topic)
  • Nona,

I wish you all the best! You've got a good attitude and I think that proves to be very important when it comes to losing weight...or accomplishing anything for that matter. You'll do great!!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
  • Quote: Nona,

I wish you all the best! You've got a good attitude and I think that proves to be very important when it comes to losing weight...or accomplishing anything for that matter. You'll do great!!!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
    Thanks, Kim, I am hoping this is the time that works, I'm pretty darn tired of carrying this extra weight around.

You have done fantastically, btw. Congratulations on all your success!

Nona
  • I am like Kim-- I don't count calories, I just read labels and stay between 20-25 carbs a day. It worked for me the last time I was on low-carb, and I am hoping it works for me this time!
  • Nona - ok, the dancing - that's pretty cool!

As for how I track my carbs - I use a calendar with plenty of writing space (print it from my computer) and just write it in. It's just simple math since I only count net carbs. I also carry a short list in it of what I typically order at restaurants so I can figure carbs on the run. On a long trip from home I carry a compact carb counter book by Dana Carpender. It works great for me. I just try to stay under 30 per day - but I carry my extras over to the next day to save up for spurges. If I have an endulgence meal (another whole story) I just don't count it - so I'm on plan before and after. Works for me.
  • I just recently started using the Fit Day planner program. There is a free account where you can log your food (the values are already available for a lot of general foods), your activities (it automatically figures how many calories are burned per session) and such. I find that it's helping me to figure out how much I'm eating and the nutrients that I need more.

Barb
  • I dont really use anything, but i am definately going to check out fit day now.