3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   Women of Color Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/86950-women-color-calorie-counters.html)

REDEFINITION 07-02-2006 04:03 PM

Hello all. I just found this thread and thought that it would be great to join in. I am attempting to get to Onederland. I am currently at 236. I have been counting calories, which usually wind up somewhere between 1000-1300 per day, give or take a few. I track my meals on another site. I drink about two bottles of water with each meal, in addition to about one or two random bottles at other intervals during the day for a total of about 8.

I look forward to a lively discussion about our successes. I am keeping a blog of my journey. The link is in my signature. I will be opening my photo album within a month & I'll provide the link once I get it up and running.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

aphil 07-03-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDEFINITION
I am currently at 236. I have been counting calories, which usually wind up somewhere between 1000-1300 per day, give or take a few.

I would like to comment that your calorie level that you are on should depend somewhat on your current weight, and that eating below 1200 calories a day for an extended period of time isn't the most healthy.

The more you weigh, the more calories your body uses doing things-if a 130 pound woman and a 230 pound woman walk a mile together, the woman who weighs 100 pounds more burns a lot more calories doing that activity-because she is carrying around 100 extra pounds of resistance.

Right now, your current calorie level is that of someone who weighs about 100 pounds less than you do...

You don't have to start out at 1000-1300 calories a day at your current weight-it actually may end up making it harder for you to reach your goal weight-because when you get smaller and hit a plateau in your weight loss, you don't have anywhere to drop your calories to get things moving again.

I would recommend a level of 1500-1700 for you instead. After you lose a good amount of weight and things slow down for you (1/2 pound a week or less lost) then you can drop your calorie level down around 100 calories at that time AND up your exercise slightly to get things back on track.

Also, you don't want to make a regular habit of eating less than 1200 a day. Every now and then it is okay if you are not hungry-things happen-but, it is a low calorie level, and it is hard to reach your basic nutritional requirements at that level on a regular basis.

TadnDixieFan 07-03-2006 12:08 PM

Hi everyone, I am new. I am a 19 years old college student. I trying to eat right and get healthy. I need to lose about 50 pounds or so. I weigh 162 pounds. I like the idea of calorie counting and exercise. Denise Austin talked about loosing pounds this way.
A question what should be my calorie range?

REDEFINITION 07-03-2006 02:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, aphil. I am trying to find ways to increase my caloric amounts. However, it is hard for me to squeeze more calories in because the things that I eat are naturally low in calories. By the time I put them into the food journal/calculator, I wind up within that range. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, fish, nuts & protein. After I eat, I am no longer hungry and have to sometimes make myself add a handful of nuts in order to add more calories. I am going to add some chicken and potatoes into the mix today. Hopefully, that will boost me into an adequate range.

aphil 07-03-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TadnDixieFan
Hi everyone, I am new. I am a 19 years old college student. I trying to eat right and get healthy. I need to lose about 50 pounds or so. I weigh 162 pounds. I like the idea of calorie counting and exercise. Denise Austin talked about loosing pounds this way.
A question what should be my calorie range?

I would try 1500 a day at your current weight with exercise. See how that works. What you are aiming for, is a 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound loss per week for it to be healthy. I would also recommend weighing in only about once per week-it is often frustrating to weigh in every day, because it is normal to have days in a row where you don't see any change in the scale at all-once a week is better. I would rather see a pound lost at the end of the week, rather than seeing nothing for 3 days, then 1/2 pound the next, then nothing for 2 more....

aphil 07-03-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDEFINITION
Thanks for the advice, aphil. I am trying to find ways to increase my caloric amounts. However, it is hard for me to squeeze more calories in because the things that I eat are naturally low in calories. By the time I put them into the food journal/calculator, I wind up within that range. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, fish, nuts & protein. After I eat, I am no longer hungry and have to sometimes make myself add a handful of nuts in order to add more calories. I am going to add some chicken and potatoes into the mix today. Hopefully, that will boost me into an adequate range.

That is what I would suggest-adding something that is healthful, but a little lower volume for the calories into a couple of those meals. Nuts are good, as is lean meat, and higher calorie fruits such as raisins.

REDEFINITION 07-09-2006 08:42 PM

Where is everyone? :?: How's the progress going?

ddran143 07-10-2006 12:02 AM

I wonder too how everyone else is doing here.

Well as far as my progress my weight is coming off now.First I was stuck for 2 months at the same weight.Now my scale is going dow.Im updating my avatar 2 pounds lighter:carrot:

channning102 07-11-2006 08:46 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have been calorie counting since January 2006. I have lost about 50 pounds since the last time I looked. The scale broke and I will not buy another one until I find a good one on sale. I eat 2,200-2,400 calories a day. I burn about 900 at the gym. I am trying to do more weights to help with sagging skin. I don't want to have that issue.

mrsgeb2 07-12-2006 10:07 PM

Hello everyone!! I am getting started once again and this time i chose calorie counting. I was on ww but i didn't lose much and i was eating to much to get the daily points. I plan to start tomorrow and start writing down everything that i eat. I would jus like to kno what everyone's workout plan is and how often a week do you do it?

ddran143 07-13-2006 11:46 AM

Welcome channing and Jusj!!!!!

My workout plan is Tae-Bo boot camp (beginners) for at least 3-4X week and jogging/walking for 30 1x week and weight training 1x week.

Tae bo is a god send. It redefined my arms and especially my waist.I tried everything and that what work for me.Its probally better with the Billy bands, which I havent got yet...but getting there

sjdphc 07-13-2006 04:30 PM

HI! May I join? I'm not counting calories (on paper) anymore. I used to count calories and I pretty much eat the same things everyday/week. My calorie intake is between 1000-1200. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 179lbs. I'm ultimately trying to get to 150 again, but right now I will settle for 160s. I'm having a hard time getting exercise in besides taking my dog on a walk after his dinner. Our walks only last about 15 minutes. I've also tried to do Taebo this week and I'm still sore from Monday! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the support I hope to get from you all! Take care.

ddran143 07-24-2006 02:38 PM

Welcome sjdphc!!!! You can do it with time and persistance. Walking your dog is a good start. From a Tae bo'er to another you have to keep doing it you will see results within 2 weeks if you do it 4x a week. My arms and stomach have shrunk big time since using tae bo for almost 2.5 months and I have been working out at the gym for over 9 years and I have never got results faster than with tae bo.

I havent did any workouts because I was sick with a cold. I found that I lost 1 more pound so i am down to 201 this week ( Yea!!!!!!). So i am pushing to be 199 by next monday which is my mini goal.

Wheres everyone???? I am curious how everyone is doing

ddran143 08-05-2006 05:09 PM

Im almost there

Im at 200 now.Only 1 pound away from being in the hundreads:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

GreenT 08-17-2006 06:58 PM

This is a great thread! I'm 29, 5'6", and I weigh 139. I've been eating 1500-1700 calories a day. I used to eat 1700-1800, but I didn't go below 142 when I did that.

I gained a lot of weight when I was 24. About 40 lbs. I moved in with my grandparents and ate all of the extra helpings of food that my grandmother made. Also at that time, I went from a retail management job, where I moved around all day, to a desk job where I sat all day every day.

At my current job there's always food left over after someone has a meeting. Leftover pizza, cake, cookies, brownies, bagels, muffins. Every time there's a meeting they order too much food, next thing you know there's an e-mail going out to the building that there's ______ in the lunch room or a meeting room. This is hard to resist.