3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Calorie Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters-172/)
-   -   What was it like when you first started.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calorie-counters/86217-what-like-when-you-first-started.html)

FitForTrey 06-06-2006 08:16 AM

What was it like when you first started....

I wasn't sure how to word in the title what I'm trying to say, but I want to know if any of you can answer a few questions for me. I need motivation badly. I have great SHORT term motivation (2-3 weeks), but fall off very easily.

1. What made you decide to lose weight (I know the easy answer is I was tired of being obese, or my family encouraged me to lose weight, but what REALLY made you decide that first day?)?

2. Did you go right for a set number of calories (i.e. 1200-1500) or did you try to slowly cut back?

3. What was your starting weight and how much do you weigh now?

4. How has it gone for you along the way?

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes :D )??

Thank you so much!

srmb60 06-06-2006 08:27 AM

1. What made you decide to lose weight (I know the easy answer is I was tired of being obese, or my family encouraged me to lose weight, but what REALLY made you decide that first day?)?
It didn't work the first day. I believe I got a fitday account and logged all my food without changing a thing and was disappointed that nothing happened (duh) for a few days. Walked one day and saw no difference so I quit. Jogged about 15 ft didn't lose weight so I quit. It was try, try again.

2. Did you go right for a set number of calories (i.e. 1200-1500) or did you try to slowly cut back?
I'm a nurse and we often put people on 1200 calorie reducing. So I started with 1200 cals.

162-125

Down, down, down, up, up, down, way down, way up, slowly down or something like that.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add
I wish I had read "Thin For Life" by Anne M Fletcher and "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto and gotten a heart rate monitor ... a long time ago.

aphil 06-06-2006 08:40 AM

It wasn't really a "certain one thing", more like a handful of things in a time period of a few months:
~I had had my first child, and ended up weighing 200 pounds a few months after her birth. I had a lot of health issues with her, and it was never caught with that pregnancy, but the extreme complications (for me and her) surrounding the birth led to the belief that I may have been a gestational diabetic, that had gone unfound until it was too late, which risked the life of myself and my child on the delivery table.
~When my daughter was a few months old, my aunt (my mother's YOUNGER sister who was only in her very early 40's at the time) passed away from diabetes and the surrounding complications. She did not take the diet plan and exercise recommendations as seriously as she should have-kept slacking off, and it ended up having fatal consequences. With my high risk of being diabetic full time later in life-I decided that I needed to lose weight, and not only that-get FIT and eat better-to hep delay that onset of diabetes in my life.
~Part of it, of course with everyone as well, was how I looked.

~With my knowledge (mother is a nurse who worked in the dietary field for years, stepfather a former pro bodybuilder) I knew that the best way to go was to start at around 2000 calories for a woman, and try that and see what happened. Then adjust it accordingly to strive for a 1/2-2 pound loss per week.
2000 calories was too high at my current weight of 200 to lose (but would maybe be perfect for someone at 250+ pounds) but I found that for the first 10-15 pounds, that 1800 calories was a great level for me at that time. I lost about 15 pounds on 1800 before I became "too small" for that level, and then dropped to about 1600 for the next few months, etc. I ended up reaching my goal weight of (I think it was) 155 in less than a year.
I maintained that loss until I became pregnant with my second child, my son, who is now 5. I became a moderator here at 3FC when my son was an infant-and I was losing the weight that I had gained from that pregnancy. :)

Well, I am currently pregnant with my 3rd and last child, so mycurrent weight really doesn't figure in. :lol: Before this pregnancy, I was at a high of 211 after the birth of my son a few years ago, and I was 164 before this pregnancy. :) It was a lot harder for me to lose this time around as far as pounds on the scale-much slower process than the first time.
I did become very, very fit and active though-more so than after my first child, and even became a professional dancer in that 5 year period.
I *am* a gestational diabetic (diabetic when pregant), and currently I am sticking to my eating regime for my pregnancy, as well as continuing to exercise about 5 days a week.

Slow and steady-but the healthier that you lose weight (no quick lose 5 pounds over the weekend things, no pills, etc.) the more likely you are to maintain your weight loss-and not gain back the weight.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes :D )??

Patience, and EXERCISE. :) If you are in need of recipes, let's try to keep them to the Food and recipes section, or at least down to one single thread here in the calorie counters area-so that they are easier to find-and not scattered everywhere. :)
Thanks. :D

Tani 06-06-2006 10:05 AM

Enough was just enough. That first day, it was the shock at stepping on a scale for the first time in years and weighing 50 lbs more than I'd been estimating.

I set my calories at about 1400. In retrospect, this number could have been higher, but it worked fine for me.

265 and 137

The road was long and curvy, but scenic. ;)

Move your body. Establish exercise habits early. Make it a routine part of your day. When you get to the point where going a day without exercise feels like not brushing your teeth, life becomes much easier.

Plan Plan Plan (& Plan)

Don't make any changes to your lifestyle that you aren't willing to follow for the rest of your life.

Glory87 06-06-2006 10:30 AM

Three things:
  • My mom wanted me to come visit for Christmas and I didn't want her to see how fat I had become.
  • I sat down in a bathroom stall at a movie theatre and cut the outside of my thigh on a metal trash receptacle - a skinny person would have fit just fine but I was too fat for a public bathroom
  • I read a book - Super Foods: 14 Foods That Will Save Your Life and it made me excited about eating for long term health (preventing cancer, heart disease, alzheimer's, diabetes, etc). I decided to change my life that day, that very second.

I actually didn't count calories at first. I would estimate I was eating fairly low to start. I actually started counting to ensure I was eating ENOUGH. I lost most of my weight at 1400-1600. I plateaued for 12 weeks, increased calories to 1800 and lost an additional 13 lbs.

I had stopped weighing myself so I am unsure of my actual top weight. It was definitely 195+. Sunday morning I weighed 129 (my weight has stayed between 126 and 130 since January 2006).

Wonderful. I feel incredible now that I've quit eating junk and eat healthy, whole foods. I suffered and yo-yo dieted and hated myself and my lack of willpower and felt like a loser because I couldn't lose weight and keep it off for 20 years. I feel like I discovered a miracle - quit eating like crap, start being conscious of what I was eating and I lost nearly 70 lbs. I wish I had done it 20 years ago.

Think long term. If you lose weight, how will you keep the weight off? For me that meant:
  • Nothing radical that I couldn't sustain. I looked at how I ate and picked a healthy lifestyle I could stick to - foods I liked!
  • Nothing overly restrictive. In the past, I used to restrict calories, but I would always binge. I would also substitute fake stuff (low fat, low cal cookies/crackers, etc). That low cal/low fat stuff is just crappy, processed foods like all junk food.
  • I had to accept the change is forever. Maintenance for me is exactly like weight loss - I still plan my meals, pack lunches in advance, count calories, weigh myself once a week, look up restaurant menus in advance and make healthy choices before I get there, take the stairs at work, etc etc. I had to accept that I could never eat like a "normal" person ever again. It's completely worth it, I love my new healthy, size 8 self and would never go back to the fat, miserable, tired all the time unhealthy person I was.

idest 06-06-2006 10:51 AM

For me it was realizing I was on the borderline of having to go up yet another clothing size. I quit smoking about 2 years ago and used snacks as a way of getting through it. Then, as the snacking became a habit, I went from a size 10-12 to a 14-16. I wanted to lose the weight but just didn't have the motivation, thought dieting was too complicated, kept putting it off, etc. I was teetering on the brink of moving up another size and feeling as if I'd settled into stout middle-age when I happened to read The Hacker's Diet. I started that day. I think I liked the plan because it's written by a software geek-- and that's what I am. Plus it's very no-nonsense. That was in mid January.

Yep. I used the tools provided to figure out my maintenance calorie consumption, figured out how much deficit I'd need to lose 1-2 pounds a week, and then went for it!

My starting weight was 196. Right now I vary between 164-166.

Really well. I weigh myself and log it everyday and seeing the pounds drop off is a huge reward. The plan I started with is very good about making sense of the daily ups and downs, of plateaus, and of creating a smoothed average, so I don't panic when I fluctuate or get stuck. But I think the part I have enjoyed most is the challenge of taking recipes I love and reducing the calories, fat, and carbs while upping the protein and fiber. It's better for my kids and I've enjoyed watching my partner slim down (he isn't officially dieting, but as I do most of the cooking...). And I feel attractive again. And shopping for clothes is fun, rather than painful.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes )??
Be better than I am about exercise! I've just gotten around to it and I have a lot of trouble making myself stick with it. Don't panic when you get stuck at a certain weight for a while-- the last pounds are very stubborn. Treat yourself to new clothes when things get baggy--you'll feel so much better! :) DON'T UNDER EAT.

There are recipes all over the site. I've started collecting the interesting ones I see, always including nutritional information, and printing them out. I have a hefty binder full of healthy recipes now and I'm always converting old favorites.

athenac 06-06-2006 11:39 AM

My aunt had pictures taken at her son's funeral, and there was one of me. Just thinking about that picture makes me want to cry.

I didn't start with calorie counting but with low carb. I had tried low-cal before, and it backfired on me. I wanted results fast.

3. What was your starting weight and how much do you weigh now? I started at 240 and am now 178.

4. How has it gone for you along the way? I've had a few ups and downs, but my scale is what keeps me going.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes )?? Work with what you know and don't expect instant results overnight. Create a routine and change it up once in a while so you don't get bored.

FitForTrey 06-07-2006 11:49 AM

Thank you so much for responding. I was so tempted last night to go to Quiznos, and I came on this site and read all of your responses. Needless to say I made a healthy dinner. Thanks! :)

cardsfan2009 06-07-2006 07:46 PM

When i weighed myself and found i had gained 10 pounds, and knocked myself right out of the comfort zone of maintaining (I thought, oh well, at least im not gaining, and then, WOAH. lol)

The first week or 2 my calories never seemed to get below 1800. But then, i gradually worked more low calorie things into my diet, and ate smaller portions, and got my mom to make healthier meals, and wa-lah! Now i range from 1400-1700. Usually about 1600.

My starting weight was 244, now i weigh 232. (12 lbs in about 20 days)

Sometimes its been hard, i couldnt eat what i wanted, i HAD to exercise, but then i just disciplined myself harder. Anything worth it is worth working for. you have to earn it if you want to deserve it.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes)?? If you use something like Fitday, try to plan your meals a day ahead of time, so you can make the necessary adjustments and tweak things to get your calories lower, so you dont eat, then enter things in and get shocked by how much you just consumed. :P I'm still working on that one.

channning102 06-20-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitForTrey
I wasn't sure how to word in the title what I'm trying to say, but I want to know if any of you can answer a few questions for me. I need motivation badly. I have great SHORT term motivation (2-3 weeks), but fall off very easily.

A number of things made me start this journyey.
-seeing my daughter pick up my unhealthy eating habits
-not being able to fit into lawn furniture
-seeing the scale so close to 300 pounds
-seriously considering WLS
-having to raise the steering wheet when I drive
-being so winded when I go up the stairs.
-having to give up wearing heels because of all the weight.
-having so much control in the other areas of my life but not having control with food
Just being sick and tired of being sick and tired
I started out with 2600 calories.

I started out at 289, I am now about 248. I haven't weighed myself for about a month.
It was first hard for me to get up at 4:30 am to go to the gym but it has been worth it. I have had days were I wanted to go back to my old eating habits but I think of one day being one of those people that have lost 100 pounds and have kept it off.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Thank you so much!

sandra

BlueToBlue 06-20-2006 08:22 PM

1. What made you decide to lose weight?
When I started, it wasn't really about losing weight. I don't think I really thought I could lose weight, I was just hoping to get a little healthier. I had some medical problems that were symptomatic of acid reflux disease and everything I read said that I would feel better if I ate better and exercised more. It turned out that my medical issues were due to allergies and not acid reflux (what a relief) but by the time my doctor figured that out, I was well on my way.

I started exercising with a personal trainer before I cut calories. When I signed up for the gym membership and the personal training, they were all so enthusiastic and confident that I could lose weight that I guess it sucked me in. Originally I was hoping that the weight would come off through exercise alone, but after about six to eight weeks I faced up to the fact that this wasn't going to happen and started restricting my calorie intake.

Once I made the decision to reduce my calories, I cut down to 1200 a day. I am a member of Bally's and they have a profile you can complete on their website that tells you how many calories you can eat. That's how I came up with the number. After a couple of months, I decided that I was exercising enough that I could increase it to 1300 calories.

My starting weight was 150 pounds. Currently I weigh 123 pounds.

It's been easier than I thought. There have been some slip-ups (a couple of vacations and business trips) and it does seem like the weight comes off really slowly (especially compared to some of the stories I read from others), but so long as I stick with the diet and exercise, the weight keeps coming off and my clothing size keeps getting smaller. :carrot: It seems like such a simple and obvious formula, sometimes I still can't believe it works and sometimes I could just kick myself for not doing this ten years earlier.

I like to cook, so in the beginning it was hard because I did have to give up a lot of favorite recipes that just don't fit into 1300 calories a day. But now I've found new recipes that I like just as much (in fact, my partner just commented the other night that one advantage this process is that I've found some new recipes that he really likes). I let my subscription to Everyday Foods lapse and switched to Cooking Light and as time has gone on, I don't miss the old foods that I used to eat nearly as much. For example, I thought I would go crazy without cheese, but it turns out I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. On the other hand, I have developed this strange craving for peanut butter that I never had before.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add (including more recipes )??
Cooking Light and BHG.com have been a great source of low calorie recipes for me (there are also some high calorie recipes on BHG.com, so check the nutrional info before you bother reading the recipe). If you like to cook, buy yourself a couple of cookbooks that focus on healthy, low calorie meals. I eat a lot of chicken.

Be patient. Sometimes weight loss takes a long time. From the time that I started exercising, it was a couple of months before I made any significant progress on the scale.

I also have to say that my personal trainer was a key factor in my success. I know personal training isn't for everyone, but since I hate to exercise and was very intimidated by the gym, it was just what I needed. At this point I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to continue my program on my own but, when I was starting out, I would not have stuck with this plan if I hadn't had the trainer.

- Barbara

hockeyfan7 06-21-2006 01:10 PM

My knee surgeon looked me in the eye and said I was too fat and if I didn't lose weight, then I was not going to walk without assistance in about 10 years.

I belong to Calorie King so I started with a set number of calories.

When I first started losing weight 6 years ago, I was at 390. I lost 110 lbs and kept that off until May 2005. In May when I had knee surgery, I was at 280 and now am at 245 since I started counting calories.

Kind of a roller coaster and I have tried several different things. But the weight has come off consistently over the past 6 years and stayed off.

5. Any advice, tips, or just anything else you want to add -- Drink the water even if you hate it like I do.

1dayatatime 06-21-2006 06:31 PM

There were many first days. I guess one day it just clicked that I really hated how I looked and felt and I knew I was gonna have to just start. I quit smoking 1000 times a day for years before I really did....it was the same with health and weightloss

I eat around 1600 (I started at 1200 and that just made me grouchy). I eat when I'm hungry and don't stress if I go over. It's all about the average number.

190 and a bit ago the scale said 151 and I've lost over 30 inches

Much like it did when I was eating and maintaining 190. Some days I eat well, some days I don't...I just pay attention to everybite now.

There will be bad days, weeks, and even months but there is always tomorrow. Exercise with cardio AND weights. Eat when you're hungry. Don't hate food. Put as much if not more time into the measuring tape that you do the scale. Enjoy yourself along the way.