Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #1  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Advice

I need some advice. Okay, I am aiming to eat around 1200-1300 calories a day. Sometimes it is a little less (1100 or so) sometimes a bit more...or more, more than that. Anyways, I've tended to notice at this point in my life with my muscle the way it is and all that my basal is ~1500 calories. I am participating in the Presidential Fitness Challenge to keep myself motivated, and have for about a month and a half now been working out at least 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. This would usually amount to about a 500 calorie daily deficit, and about a pound loss a week.

Now, leaving fairyland behind...while I have been pretty good at consistently getting in my exercise like I should, eating has been...interesting. For a while I was losing about 1 lb a week, but now it is no wonder I go a few weeks at a time without losing anything. Using Fitday my average for the last week, and last 2 weeks, has been about 1400 and 1450 (it is no wonder with a few 2000 calorie days thrown in there). Now, that is still below basal so even if I kept that up I would still be maintaining at least. However, I would like to lose some weight too and stop being such a slacker. I am getting married in December, which leaves me plenty of time to get to weight. If I successfully lost a pound a week I would be AT my goal weight some time in August. If I lost 2 lbs a week I'd be there in May. I'm not too concerned with the deadline, though I'd like to reach it before so that I can work on maintaining for a few months before the wedding and have a dress that doesn't have to be refitted too many times.

My point is (unless you've already fallen asleep) I need some more ways to give myself some wiggle room. A pound a week would be fine if I stuck more properly to plan, but as we can see I have not been. I am open to suggestions. Does 30min cardio 5x a week seem like not very much exercise? I am usually either walking, or doing WATP so I know it's not that intense...should I try to start running or something? Add weights? Is there some kind of simple exercise I could add at work (I work at a desk job, in a cube with some privacy, but not enough to be bouncing up and down). I'm open to suggestions. You can peek at my Fitday link and see how horribly I've goofed lately, but I need some small ways I can make myself start losing more consistently, or stay more constantly motivated or something.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I knew right from the start you were bright! Here's the answers you gave already.

so I know it's not that intense

Add weights?

Sometimes it helps to just type it out and then look at what you've been thinking all along in print.

Are you quite certain you want to talk to me about food? Appreciate you much, Miles ... I'm sorry you're having a 'doubting' time.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #3  
Miles

Thanks Susan, you are right sometimes I just need to look at what I am thinking. Giving it a go again, seeing how it progresses. Also supposed to get Anne Fletcher's Thin for Life in the mail soon, it's last in line of about three or four books I want to finish, but maybe that will clear up a few things for me.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

For starters someone who works out 5 days a week ain't no slacker...
Weights is a good way to tone while you lose. There are a lot of nifty sites to learn about resistance training - there are a lot of threads about it like this one here at 3FC. I might not have lost that many pounds lately - but I feel/look different. My loose clothes tell the tale.

I think you might wanna up the intensity a little if you want to burn more calories. Try an elliptical if you have access to one, or one of many cardio type calisthenics like jumping jacks or butt kicks or jump rope...anything to get your heart rate up.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thin for Life is an awesome book!

Hi Gina!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #6  
Miles

Ty Gina, those are great ideas