New to calorie counting

• Hi,
    I am going to try to start counting my calories. The reason I say "try" is because I dislike keeping track of things. I was doing weight watchers and got really bored of logging my food. What I've done now is a sort of pre-count; I know how many calories I will be eating during the day, and as long as dinner is less than 500 calories, I will stay under my daily limit.

That is my theory anyways. We'll see if it works.

I'm going to do this for two reasons; first, I need to lose weight and I am looking for a different approach, more of a lifestyle change and second, my girl friend says that calories don't matter, it's carbs you need to watch. Since I live to prove people wring, I figured I would take on the challenge.

Wish me luck...
  • Good luck!!! You can do it.
  • Quote: my girl friend says that calories don't matter, it's carbs you need to watch. Since I live to prove people wring, I figured I would take on the challenge.
    Of course calories matter. Whenever I've lost weight it's been by cutting my calories to 1,500/day while continuing to eat HIGH carb (60% of calories from carbs). Right now I'm maintaining my weight and eating about 1,200 of my 2,000 daily calories in the form of carbs.

F.
  • I find that in my experience if I don't count the calories or use an app that I can calculate them into, I fail! Guess work is no good to me. I suggest LoseIt, it's kind of like my fitness pal. But once you get into the habit it isn't so bad. And it records your progress all the way to reaching your goal. I love it.
  • Tracking your calories on myfitnesspal.com takes less than a minute (sometimes less than 20 seconds) and is so very helpful to keep in line.

Good luck proving your friend wrong!!
  • The only reason I count carbs is because it lowers my appetite. I also count calories and for myself, that's what gets me the most weight loss, the calorie counting (and I excercise a LOT).
  • I'm counting calories, but limiting myself to only 2 serving of grain based carbs per day. Something about being over 50, maybe, but grain stuff really sabotages my weight loss efforts.

Whatever works for you--go for it!

spanky
  • Thanks, I appreciate all your support. I've always understood that calories expelled must be less then calories taken it to lose weight. It seems very simple.

Here I go...
  • Steen! I hope you succeed in proving your friend wrong!
  • Good Luck Steen! It is always fun to prove other people wrong. It is a bonus that along the way, you get to be healthier happier and sexier!
  • I'm finding that not only do I need to count the calories but I also need to keep track of what I'm eating...carbs, fats, protein, etc. I didn't do a great job last week...way too few calories and almost no fat/protein so I didn't feel fantastic for the majority of the weekend and I felt like all I ate was fat and protein the last two days. I'm kicking my calories up a notch in hopes of balancing things out this week. While I love counting calories as opposed to doing an actual "diet" - it's a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.